AlNiCo Blue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogn4u

Reaction score
Well, I've found the holy grail, speaker-wise. I bought a LSS about a year and a half ago, and after a slow start, began to get some great tones. I love the EL-84 tube, which I also had in my Vox Night Train (lunchbox). Boogie, too is coming out with a lunchbox; I saw a beta unit at the Hollywood store a few weeks ago. It looks even more bitchin in person.
I couldn't justify the expense, though. I rarely gig, and the LSS is SO versatile. In fact, I bit the bullet about three months ago and bought a 12" Celestion Blue AlNiCo speaker and built a solid wood, open-back cab for it. Copied the cab dimensions from an old Boogie 1X12 cab I had lying around.
Rationalization? This LSS may be the best amp I will ever buy. I think it should have the best speaker I can find. The one caution is that these speakers are rated for only 15W RMS, so I only run the LSS on the 15, or better, 5 W settings when using that cab. Now that it's (the Celestion) starting to break in, it's REALLY sounding good. Last night I was just whacking some E and A chords and letting them slowly die away - the tone is drool-inducing. I have never felt so close to the "perfect" tone, which of course is highly selective and different for everyone.
I'm a Fender guitar guy; 80% of the time I use my self-modded '52 RI Tele; and 20% my '95 USA Strat with Gold Laces. A year or so ago, I bought an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, which I rarely use...but the deal was sweet. Anyway, I pulled it out last night and realized that it sounds fabulous thru the LSS. I'll be playing this axe more often!
Cheers,
Rudi

I've got the blue's big brother in mine, the Celestion Gold. You're right, Alnico speakers seem to be a great match for the LSS!

If you like the Blue in the LSS you should definitely try the Gold - it's very similar but with 50W rating. It's unfortunate if you've just spent the money on the Blue!

It doesn't sound *quite* the same, but it's close and will handle the full power of the amp in any mode. I put one in a 1x12" Blue Angel and it sounded incredible on the 38W Simul-Link setting.

Latest posts

Back