Alice in Chains tone using markV head and cab...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I wanted to ask your opinions about cab for MarkV. Like I mentioned I have a peavey 5150 slant cab and a peavey JSX slant cab. I would think the 5150 is better suited at least for tighter bottom end over JSX cab. Just wondering if I should look at mesa's cabs? If so what ones?

2 possible options I can think of. 4 12 rectro cab slant with v30 or two 2 12's so it's easier to move around. If second option is chosen can the 2 12 cabs match same sound of the 4-12 cab? Keeping in mind Alice in chains tone is the goal, but as I know the chains won't last forever so down the road is also in the back of my mind. That's why a 2-12 cab sounds appealing as u get older less luggin around of gear is always nice.

If I had two cabs already I'd save my money and use what I had. If I was going to buy a Mesa Cab I'd probably get the 2x12 with a C90 in top and a V30 in the bottom.

Zakkmylde said:
Hey guys I wanted to ask your opinions about cab for MarkV. Like I mentioned I have a peavey 5150 slant cab and a peavey JSX slant cab. I would think the 5150 is better suited at least for tighter bottom end over JSX cab. Just wondering if I should look at mesa's cabs? If so what ones?

2 possible options I can think of. 4 12 rectro cab slant with v30 or two 2 12's so it's easier to move around. If second option is chosen can the 2 12 cabs match same sound of the 4-12 cab? Keeping in mind Alice in chains tone is the goal, but as I know the chains won't last forever so down the road is also in the back of my mind. That's why a 2-12 cab sounds appealing as u get older less luggin around of gear is always nice.

With the Mark V I prefer the sound of the Recto 2x12 to the 4x12. Reason being is that the 2x12 has a little more top/bottom and a little less mids than the than the 4x12, which is a good compliment to the Mark Vs mid heavy voicing.

Conversely, with the Dual Recto I prefer the 4x12 because it pushes more mids and I find the 2x12 a little too scooped.

I'm told it has to do with the speakers. 16ohm speakers generally have a bit more top/bottom end while 8ohm pushes more midrange.

That said... either cab is a solid choice since all these little nuances will disappear the second the drummer hits his snare. :lol:

Zakkmylde said:
Thanks. But wondering 2 2x12 cabs vs 4x12 cab. You think they are
Comparable in tone? Mesa cabs. Just lighter to carry.

Two 2x12s will sound like two 2x12s and not like one 4x12.

Doubling the number of cabs won't change the frequency response of the 2x12 to that of the 4x12, so the end result is still going to sound like a 2x12.

Whether that end result is better or worse is subjective. From what I've read Andy Timmons is a dude that tends to favour stacked Recto 2x12s over a 4x12, but will use whatever is available as he tours.

Well said. I guess it's a matter of getting both and playing them and compare. If 2 12 still has bottom punch that be cool. Might look at little gay on stage thou. Luckily my local music store will let me take 4-12 and 2 2-12 cabs home to test them out. Everything sounds great in bedroom. Key is to sound great at jam or live.

It still has the punch. It's the thing that has me tied to Mesa cabs.

The 2x12 might look a little goofy if you're playing venues where 4x12s are standard, but I think it looks pretty sophisticated and would suit smaller venues. There's a reason I own both. :D

file-1.jpg

Ha ha ha. Funny u sat that. I just bought the markV without girlfriends knowledge. She'd be rather upset, she's waiting for the "ring". Gear first, marriage second. :)

We've been together for 13 years come November. Still not married. The trick is to keep buying gear that looks like something you already own.... and make sure you can still pay the bills on time.

Ha ha ha ha. Oh man that's hilarious. For sure, almost got busted yesterday. I got sloppy. I left new MarkV box in furnace room and she asked me you get new gear. I replied no honey. Ha.
Anyhow I just walked In the door with a brand new 4x12 mesa rec cab and a 2x12 mesa rec cab. Set up my head and brought 5150 cab out as well and played MarkV on all 3 different cabs.
I feel mesa cab is better than 5150 cab, not by a landslide or anything just better. Seems tighter. Wow the little 2x12 gives both a run for the money but as expected it does loose the bottom end and not quite as tight as his big brother. Darn it, was hoping it could compete so its easier to move gear. But non the less 2x12 sounds great. Now really torn which way to go for gigs.

If you're mic'd both cabs will sound pretty much the same through the PA and monitors.

If you're not mic'd most of the differences will obliterated by the drums and bass.

Long story short, feel safe to bring either one and choose according to the needs of the gig.

Ya I guess your right. Thing is I have to bring back to store what I don't want. Can't decide whether 2x12 vs 4x12. I mean I always have the 5150 if I need it. Oh we'll I got all night to try and decide. 4x12 just has that punch. But like u said all that's out the window once in a band setting. Both would cut through mix same ya think?

Hey man when amp is powered up with stand by on tubes glow the standard orange colour. But with standby off in playing mode tubes develop a blue ish colour similar to one one front by power light. Still tubes are orange but soon as u switch blueish colour comes in middle areas. Really paranoid now cause I was switching tubes back and forth 34's to 6l6 and I had 34's in but switch was on 6l6 for couple hours today. Really worried I damaged something:(

Correction......

Amp in standby- tubes are standard orange.
Amp standby in the on position, play mode tubes get blueish colour along with orange. Worried I screwed up tubes or power transformer. Still works and plays.

Zakkmylde said:
I had 34's in but switch was on 6l6 for couple hours today.

Running EL34s in 6L6 mode won't hurt anything, they just won't work to their full potential.

The orange and blue glow is normal. In standby the only thing that has power is the tube heaters, which glow orange.

The blue glow is electrons striking oxygen molecules. If you start playing notes on your guitar you'll be able to watch the blue glow modulate with your playing.

K got it all in order and your right no blue light for 34's. only thing now that I've switched back to 34tubes and switch is correct the caution bias light is red. So maybe one tube is damaged or something? When does red light go on? When tubes are wearing out? Bias out of whack?

Latest posts

Back