A NEW TYPE OF TUBE GUITAR AMPLIFIER

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
i just found out about this thing....

i'd be curious to know if anybody else knows anything about it.....

A NEW TYPE OF TUBE GUITAR AMPLIFIER

(MY APOLOGIES IF THIS HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN COVERED)

GAGA-50 Advantages: All-tube, 5 pounds, 50 watts

lighter and smaller than typical tube amps & lighter than comparably powered transistorized amps

no audio output transformer or its limitations and distortions

freedom to use any number or combination of octal output tubes

widely adjustable output tube distortion vs output volume level

immediate recovery from overdrive; touch-responsive output tube distortion

drives any load and sustains dead shorts or total disconnects at full power

automatic bias and automatic idle / standby of any number or combination of output tubes

lower operating temperature, greatly extended tube lifetimes (expected)

increased reliability and stability, improved amplitude and phase accuracy

more perfect coupling of output tubes to speaker (i.e., no parasitics or saturation)

more tube-like operation of output tubes (i.e., lower current, higher impedance)

triode-like characteristics presented to speakers, even from pentodes

advanced, fully regulated, switching power supplies

no heavy power transformers, magnetics or choke filters

world power ready: plug and play anywhere

powerful, agile, innovative: brings true tone closer

full power over unmatched, wide frequency response

top-quality parts, USA made, high-end audio pedigree, experienced designers

OK, AS IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH...........

GAGA-50 Features

50 watts of output power, rated to standard - all tube; all analog, not class D or "digital" anything.

Many guitar amps appear to be rated for power at full distortion, not to established standard. GAGA-50 delivers its rated 50-watts cleanly, to established standard, and more than doubles output power as it is driven deeper into distortion. Guitarists have said 'it sounds like a 100 watt amp.'

5 pounds total weight - GAGA-50 is lighter than every electric guitar we've weighed, and it's also lighter than comparably powerful transistorized amps we've weighed as it has no big heatsinks.

Exclusively licensed patented audio circuitry + advanced power supplies = No heavy iron transformers anywhere. With all tube power amplification (and with variable output tube distortion) but without audible magnetic inertia, smearing or lag, "the detail, speed and slam are amazing."

Auto-Everything™ - Auto-Bias; Auto-Standby; World-Power-Ready™ with advanced power supplies and active Power Factor Correction. Never adjust bias again. Fly from standby to full power instantly upon demand. Plug it in and enjoy anywhere in the world, right out of the box -- surpasses standards. Drive it safely into any load, including a dead short or no load.

Play-Any-Tube™ -- Play 4 different power tubes at once if you like. Or 3. Or just 2. Plug in any combination of 6L6, 6V6, 5881, 6550, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6CA7, or EL34 and it just works. Mix and match any combination for sound; Obviates "matched pairs" or even matched types. Power tubes can be readily changed or removed. GAGA-50 continues playing, albeit at reduced volume, should one or two output tubes fail during performance.

Drive-Anything™ - Single output drives any reasonable combination of speakers, cabinets or loads. Nothing to set, match, mismatch, or confuse: one output does it all. Optimized for 8 Ohm loads.

Blow-Proof™ - Reasonably sustains dead-shorts or no-load / total-opens without self-destructing. No more fear or blown output transformers as with typical tube amps.

Power-Step™ - Allows full output tube distortion at any volume level. Not merely an attenuator, 'power soak' or 'hot plate' but a method that wastes no sound or energy as heat.

Super-Infra-Sonic™ - Uncommonly wide bandwidth, flat frequency response down below 20Hz at full power. Plays airy highs with harshless alacrity and infra-sonic lows approaching DC voltage.

Minimal latency design for maximum speed, power and grace - Go from total crunch to finest detail in what feels and sounds like instantaneously. Does not mire in overload and responds quickly even while playing full blast. Powerful, agile and graceful, GAGA-50 feels like an intimately integrated part of the guitar+amplifier synergy that brings the musician closer to true tone.

Tube-buffered Bass and Treble tone controls that adjust +/-16dB - Tone stack is an improved, tube-buffered Baxandall circuit, which is simple, proven and maintains great sound quality over wide adjustment with minimal knobs: If you want midrange boost, turn down the bass and treble: "...two knobs [give] more variation than three..."

Includes as a standard feature the patented P3 Phantom Powered Pedal System® - Provides up to 2 amperes of regulated 9-volt DC power to remotely power guitar pedals and/or pedalboard breakout boxes. Another world's first.

World Power Ready™ and fully regulated with Power Factor Correction, standards compliance, and proper RF design methods - including sub-enclosures, shields, ground-planes and star-grounding. Properly designed switching power supplies gently soft-start to bring up all voltages, including tube heaters, slowly and in a controlled manner, reducing unnecessary stresses, heater flashing and cathode stripping. 90-240VAC @ 50/60Hz; RoHS, CE -- "...this amp is very advanced -- rocket science in a box..."

Made in the USA by experienced designers and manufacturers whose numerous other products have received glowing reviews over decades of time: The David Berning Company has produced high-end home audio equipment since 1975. Reviews. Milbert Amplifiers has built top quality tube car audio equipment since 1986. Reviews.
Minimalist, thoughtful and proper design; overbuilt construction and conservative operation - Patented circuitry extends tube life to many years, possibly a decade or more, similar to our mobile and home audio products. David Berning Company products are legendary for performance and reliability. Milbert Amplifiers tube car amp owners regularly report long tube lifetimes, many exceeding 10 years, with one report (in 2005) of 17 year tube lifetime.

American made - GAGA-50 is sturdy and designed to sit standalone. Or it can be mounted in any 4U rackspace, or installed in standard combo cabinets (e.g., Mojo), or fit within standard footprint of a Marshall 20-watt head. GAGA-50 is 19 inches wide, 6 inches deep, and 6 inches tall, with a removable top handle and thumbscrew-removable top cover.

Superior components throughout - GAGA-50 combines quality components (with as many as practical being off-the-shelf), 'above milspec' circuit boards (i.e., heavier copper and thicker boards of lower-dielectric and flame-retardant material), chassis-mountable power tube sockets, and point-to-point wiring where appropriate.

Available 2010. Pricing TBA, ~$2k.

http://www.milbert.com/guitar

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=7133571&postcount=42

Very interesting!
I seems they are using technology not dis-similar to a Computer switching power supply. Using a higher fequency "carrier" to increase efficiency significantly.
I'd would like to hear one, up close and personal! :D

Might be the perfect amp for a Gibson "dusk tiger" or "dark fire"

I love my transformers and the older the amp,the older the tubes, the older the speakers,
YES, all working properly ,the better to my ears.

/cheers

DAVID BERNING’S ZOTL

http://www.positive-feedback.com/pfbackissues/0705/gizmoabducted.7n5.html

(3RD TOPIC DOWN)

Technology

White Papers

ZOTL Technology vs Audio Output Transformers

This paper demonstrates the electrical performance of an amplifier using the ZOTL technology versus the identical amplifier using a high-quality audio output transformer and presents these differences using oscillographs.

Electronic Devices and the Amplification Process

This paper shows how a curve tracer can be used to explore the attributes of the ZOTL technology and contrast it to the shortcomings of the audio output transformer. Also shown is how this tool can be used to optimally design an amplifier.

Patents

5,612,646 Output Transformerless Amplifier Impedance Matching Apparatus

This patent teaches the principles behind the Berning ZOTL technology that can properly match the impedance of vacuum tubes to the impedance of speakers without using audio output transformers. The impedance conversion is done with dc-dc switching converters operating at fixed frequencies well above audio frequencies. The actual voltage and current impedance transformations are done via special high-frequency transformers. This is an RF carrier system that eliminates the frequency-dependent distortions present in audio transformers, and can enable the amplifier to have a wider frequency response and be dc coupled.

4,163,198 Audio Amplifier

This patent details a hybrid tube-FET amplification stage that forms the basis of the Berning TF-10 preamplifier. An important advantage of this amplification stage is the elimination of the parasitic feedback capacitance and thus providing a stage with improved transient response.

3,995,226 Audio Amplifier

This patent describes the screen drive philosophy that has become an important part of many of the Berning power amplifier designs to the present day. The screen drive allows tubes to be operated at much higher efficiencies, much higher power output, and at greatly enhanced reliability. Whereas the patent shows transistors driving tubes, the same principles apply to presently implemented versions of tubes driving tubes. This is also known as the "enhancement" amplifier.

Nothing new here. Once again, audiophile geniuses trot out techno-reasons why traditional guitar amp design is "bad" because the basic design and function is "flawed" - blah blah blah.
Same thing happened when solid state guitar amps first appeared 50 years ago.
"Transformers? We don't need no stinking transformers!" :lol:
The sound samples aren't bad, but they sound very (very) similar to the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube distortion pedals. The non-smearing between single notes might appeal to gnat-note speed-shredders, but sounds gate-y and artificial, not to mention un-tubelike.
My curve tracer is my index finger on a centerfold. :lol:

yeah, i can't tell sh!t from the samples.

i listened to the clips, and was completely underwhelmed.
yep, i have no way to know from the clips, whether i'd really like it or not.

now, if the technology gives me the ultra deep lows i like, without the mud or midrange, and the high end can easily be sweetened....

if the distortion levels are much more variable than the clips show...

if it takes pedals well.....

i can see how this COULD blow away all other tube designs.
everything i HATE HATE HATE about tube amps, this amp does away with. (i'm a tube amp snob i guess, i've played tube amps of every make and model since 1975)

but, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.
i gotta not only hear one, but feel the way it translates what i do, thru the speaker.

that is golden.

that said, let's review:

automatic bias

lighter and smaller

no audio output transformer

ny number or combination of octal output tubes

Allows full output tube distortion at any volume level

drives any load

greatly extended tube lifetimes

world power ready

i wished my boogie could do ANY of that!!

:lol:

gonzo said:
that said, let's review:

automatic bias

lighter and smaller

no audio output transformer

ny number or combination of octal output tubes

Allows full output tube distortion at any volume level

drives any load

greatly extended tube lifetimes

world power ready

i wished my boogie could do ANY of that!!

:lol:

Don't care if my Boogie can't do any of that, it sounds awesome.
Of course, final judgement depends on a test drive, but there's a mighty high benchmark to hit.
Jeez, I hope I can get into Winter Namm! :lol:

yep, the first thing i'd do if i had one in house, would be to stand it up against the good ole boogie, and a/b it that way.

i sure hope the manufacturer bothers to do the same kind of test before he puts it out to market.
cuz that's what every other firebreathing guitarist is gonna do!!

And I can't help but wonder how this will hold up 'real world', too.

It's the imperfections and drawbacks of current tube amp design that result in what we know as TONE.
Change all of this radically and the tone must change.....simple reality of physics.
But that does not necessarily mean it will sound better or worse.....just gotta try it and see! :D

Gotta say...credit is due for the innovation and risk taking of a new design. I sincerely wish them.......
Good luck! :)

think how cool it'd be, if BIASING had nothing to do with the sound of an amp......

(i mean, that's one of the main reasons i first bought my boogie, not having to deal with the bias issues)

there's a certain MOJO, in the specific wiring schematics of established amp mfg's...
you know, the SOUND is pretty much hardwired into a circuit, to marry with a specific tube set, etc....

so, i guess it's one of those things where, you get a 'pure' amplification of exactly what your guitar sounds like, with varying degrees of distortion, and the tone stack simply brightens, or deepens the tone.

what if you WANT scooped tones?

my guess is, you'd have to have a FX loop, that you could apply a outboard EQ.

or, would this be marketed strictly to folks that want the purist approach?

so many variables...
gives me a headache.

LOL

Back