6L6 Ruby power tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda_

Reaction score
I was just wondering sound wise are Ruby 6L6GCMSTR power tubes bright or dark sounding tubes?

Well the Mesa STR440's are relabeled Ruby's and I find them to be a pretty bright, brittle and lack luster sounding tube.

Right now I have el cheapo Ruby 6L6's in my Mark III. They seem to run much cooler than the Electro-Harmonix that I am the most partial to (this may also be in part to my 5 watt screen grid resistor upgrade). However, bass travel is a bit flubbier, not necissarily in a bad way; it's more present just not as tight as the EHX. Highs are smooth and not piercing. Mid's are definitely more brittle and "cheaper" sounding; especially since i'm running $$$ preamp tubes. Dynamics are a 7/10. Very great for cleans though; full sounding.

I will say this; I didn't use to play my PGM301 through my Mesa because with EHX 6L6's it was too high pitched and piercing, and with the Ruby's it sounds fat and full bodied...totally a dynamic shift for a maple necked guitar. I was incredibly surprised.

Personally, the STR440s aren't THAT bad. But I prefer the STR454s or them Winged C 6L6s, which the latter I have a matched quad running in my Roadster to replace the STR440s...

I had some in my rectoverb for awhile and they had a noticeable scoop to the mids and made my amp sound more fizzy in the distortion channels....but were fairly bright had lot's of headroom and produced a lot of overdrive when pushed hard.

Latest posts

Back