5 Favorite guitar tones:

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOOLGUY said:
. George Thurogood (Saw him at the Palace Theater in Albany NY in the early 80's and he just rocked. Just a great blues sound)
Man he rips. I don't think people think about his tone a lot (enough).
Saw him and the Destroyers at the
Philadelphia spectrum a few years ago.
Just awesome.
Good call!

Thanks!! He's always been one of my favorites. That show was probably one of the first concerts I ever saw, (the first being Sha Na Na...no lie, I actually saw them). George came out on stage and there was something wrong with the lightses or something and he went off for about 15 minutes, then came back out, apologized and played for 3 hours straight. Man that night HE was the hardest working man in show biz.

My favorite five:

John Petrucci - pretty much anything from FIF to Live at Budokan
Andy Timmons - Resolution album and since
Alex Lifeson - anything pre- and post-solid state
Steve Vai's current tone
David Gilmour's epic Strat tone

...and of course, my tone. As narcissistic as it is, I can't get enough of my current tone.

JOEY B. said:
Scrapinger said:
Was that the "Done With Mirrors" tour? I saw that one in the mid '80s with Ted Nugent as the opening act. I have seen three different well known bands (Aerosmith, Bad Company, mid '90s Lynyrd Skynyrd) try to follow Uncle Ted onstage. One word of advice for anyone who is thinking of having the Motor City Madman open for their band- DON'T. He is a VERY hard act to follow, for sure. :twisted:

I foget the tour name, I think it was their first reunion album. Was that Back In the Saddle? Regardless the sucked arse, but I saw them about 2 yrs later and they were soooo much better. I think they sobered up then and were tight and sparkiling.

Oh mercy how could I forget Sonny Landreth. He is just freaking nuts. He runs a JCM 2000 through an atenuator with a few MXR foot pedals and that boy can just get incredible tone.

Any other Sonny Landreth fans out there?

1. Paul Kossoff (FREE)
2. Gary Moore (Gary Moore)
3. Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)
4. James dean bradfield (Manic street preachers)
5. Tom morello (Rage/slave)

One extra modern one

6. Joel Stroetzel on as daylight dies (Killswitch engage)

Scrapinger said:
Oh mercy how could I forget Sonny Landreth. He is just freaking nuts. He runs a JCM 2000 through an atenuator with a few MXR foot pedals and that boy can just get incredible tone.

Any other Sonny Landreth fans out there?

Yes.

I had read an article about him in a GP mag a while back, and never looked into him. I got one of his live albums, and boy, what an underrated player! His tone is as good as his playing.

I've seen him a few times. The first was with John Hiatt. That's him on the Drive South album. Then I saw him solo in Minneapolis in a small bar and got to stand righ in front of him. He was amazing. You could tell the guitar players in the audience. We would clap we would just look at each other with our mouths agape wondering how he did what he just did. He does this thing where he frets behind the slide. Just amazing stuff and oh yeah killer tone.

Yeah I heard he plays with the slide on his pinky finger, and he just seamlessly runs between slide licks, eric johnson runs, and great blues licks.

Great topic! Stumbled upon it while reading some old posts.

So I can only pick 5? Well here's a few in no particular order:

1) Eric Johnson "Cliffs of Dover"

2) Slash "Sweet Child"

3) Steve Vai "Sisters"

4) EVH "Little Dreamer"

5) Kirk Hammett "Fade to Black"

hummm, only 5 is real hard, but i'll try to make my best:

1) Michael Schenker - One Night at Budokan

2) earlier Ritchie Blackmore live tone (circa MIJ and Rainbow's On Stage)

3) Dave Meniketti (man his LP tone is getting better every year!)

4) James Hetfield on "Garage Days Revisited"

5) Faiska http://www.youtube.com/user/FaiskaGuitarClub#p/a/u/0/LXK8Xr8lX7E

runners-up

Ulrich Roth - Scorpions Days

Steve Lukather - Isolation

SRV - The Sky's Crying (especially the interview part where he just strums a chord before Lil Wing. . . OMG, never ever heard a clean tone like that one!!)

worst . . . hum i really love the guy, phrasing and compositions but Rik Emmet's live tone is horrible :?

James Hetfield - Master and AJFA
David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb ( solos specifically)
John petrucci - All of Train of thought ( stream of consciousness being my favourite )
Mark Knophler - On sultans of swing
Will Adler and Mark Morton - all of ashes of the wake

there is way more ... :p

Knopfler - Waterline
Hendrix - Hey Joe
Metallica - Ride the Lightning - they started mixing the bass back in.
Alan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
Lifeson - La Villa Strangiato
EVH - Dirty Movies
Page - Ten Years Gone
Metallica - Sad But True

David Gilmour - The more recent stuff, The Blue etc.
Robben Ford- Help the Poor
Andrew Latimer of prog rock band Camel, the more recent stuff. Check out his awesome tone on the instrumental 'Ice' live
Carlos Santana- Everything on the Moonflower album with the Yamaha SG
Thomas Blug - Awesome H&K Triamp tones

Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) - mainly I love his rhythm tone.
Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist) - I like his lead tone, especially utilizing the neck pickup.
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci (Dream Theater) - His rhythm and lead tones have been great on all their records.
My own guitar tone (What can I say? That's why I bought a Mesa!)

Geez, I don't know if I can think of 5, once I think of one two others pop up to replace it. I'm younger than a lot of guys on here it seems (21) so please don't be harsh on me:

Marty Friedman (Rust in Peace and Scenes)
EVH (Ain't Talkin Bout Love or Drop Dead Legs)
Hetfield (whenever, wherever)
Raul Bianchi (The Expendables lead guitar player. check out the album Gettin' Filthy for his best-produced tones)
Jerry Garcia in his heyday (mid to late 70s)

and for a bonus, and I don't care about the flack I take but some of the stuff on Try! is great so...John Mayer.

kingster911 said:
Geez, I don't know if I can think of 5, once I think of one two others pop up to replace it. I'm younger than a lot of guys on here it seems (21) so please don't be harsh on me:

Man, I'm 18. hahah

1.) Rocky George ( "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow..")--he was the reason I picked up a guitar and got serious about it many moons ago. ST was a diverse band..and at the time I was actually a 'skater' so it was the tunes to play while on your board. Gotcha pumped and stoked to pick up a guitar and crank the amp!

2.) Al Di Meola- I loved so much of his early work from when my music teacher introduced me to him years ago, but since he's been gigging the PRS, his tone is pretty awesome.

3.) Alex Skolnick ( "Practice What You Preach" )- Right behind Rocky George, he took such a different approach to the guitar for the era of music. He definitely had his own style with Testament. He just got better and better as time went on. Since he's dipped heavily into jazz with his trio, that made me just like him even better..and I'm not sure I ever thought that could of happened.

4.) Alex Lifeson...one of my favorite guitars players, so diverse in so many ways. I'm a big fan of "Roll the Bones". That album hits me pretty hard in many ways. I grew up around alot of RUSH from my dad playing all their material on vinyl when I was little. I love ALL RUSH, but I really love "Signals" and up...and *really* love everything after "Roll the Bones".

5.) Vinnie Moore- One of the most underrated guitar players of our time. I love everything VM did from "Mind's Eye" right up until "The Maze". His neo-classical approach was something I never even heard with the Yngwie material at all. A way different feeling..and his tone is so fluent and smooth. He has this feeling of playing that is beautiful! Not to mention his abilities for writing some of the best melodies I've ever heard on guitar.

Of course there are so many musicians and guitarists that inspired me. I always kept an open mind. The list could go on and on and on...

You name it and it's probably had some influence on me in one way or another.

All the Best,
~Nep~

Jeff loomis -"zero order phase".whole album
Jeff loomis-nevermore-Dead Heart in a Dead World."inside four walls" and "Believe In Nothing"
Fredrik Thordendal-meshuggah-nothing-"Stengah"
JH-MetallicA-reload-"devils dance"
Dino Cazares-Fear Factory-"mechanize"

theres far too many more but they are this months favorites :lol:

Black Sabbath "Sabotage"
Metallica "Ride the Lightning"
Witchfinder General "Death Penalty"
Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak"
AC/DC "Let There Be Rock"

Brian May -all 300 tones he gets out of that 100 year old fireplace mantle

EVH-VH1

Jake E Lee-Bark at the moon