3 year, first thing I hate about this amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.
Like crawling underneath a kitchen sink to change a P-Trap.
And V1 is the one I want to experiment with.

It's so hard to change the preamp tubes in my heartbreaker that I just take the chassis out these days to do it!

I take off the back...tube guard.. lay the amp on its side and...easy as pie.. you can also take out the power tubes and rectifier to make it really easy..

yup, it ain't fun. it's even more of a hassle in my road king ii combo (where i've never successfully placed the v1 cover back without taking the chassis out).

You can easily make the tubes accessible through the front. While I had my chasis out of the head shell the other day , I just took the front grill off then I cut out a large section (approx 4 inches by 17 inches) of the plywood that is behind the grill cover with a jigsaw. I just left a couple inches at each end and about an inch along the bottom which seems to be plenty of support for the head. It took all of 2 minutes to do. Now all I have to do is remove the grill cover and all tubes are super easy to change. You can not see that anything was modified when the grill cover is put back on.

I WISH I DID THIS A YEAR AGO

I used to just avoid trying different tubes because it was such a project each time I wanted try different flavors of tubes. Now I can do it effortlessly and in a couple minutes be playing with new tubes. Moving tubes around to see what the best position is for a particular tube is awesome now because you can leave the grill off and you can move the tube in seconds.

I DON'T KNOW WHY BOOGIE DOESN'T BUILD THE HEAD SHELLS LIKE THIS

dino1sf said:
You can easily make the tubes accessible through the front. While I had my chasis out of the head shell the other day , I just took the front grill off then I cut out a large section (approx 4 inches by 17 inches) of the plywood that is behind the grill cover with a jigsaw. I just left a couple inches at each end and about an inch along the bottom which seems to be plenty of support for the head. It took all of 2 minutes to do. Now all I have to do is remove the grill cover and all tubes are super easy to change. You can not see that anything was modified when the grill cover is put back on.

I WISH I DID THIS A YEAR AGO

I used to just avoid trying different tubes because it was such a project each time I wanted try different flavors of tubes. Now I can do it effortlessly and in a couple minutes be playing with new tubes. Moving tubes around to see what the best position is for a particular tube is awesome now because you can leave the grill off and you can move the tube in seconds.

I DON'T KNOW WHY BOOGIE DOESN'T BUILD THE HEAD SHELLS LIKE THIS

Great idea! :D A pic would be good?? :wink:

I love my amp but my only complaint after a couple years of owning it is how fussy the effects loop is. I purhcased an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man yesterday and it blows through the effects loop. It distorts the the signal. :(

triaxis_rear.jpg

troll.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I believe changing a preamp tube is frustrating work, especially in a MKV which has quite a lot of them.

Funnily enough in my Marshall the V1 under the can was the smallest problem, try getting a 12AX7 back into a hole that has rubber around it... UGH, it takes forever to line up the tube sockets with the legs.

Oh no. My MkIVa has a removable front cover attached with velcro. They should've kept this on the V. Bummer.

Latest posts

Back