The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18&Life

Reaction score
I remember someone asking if it's possible to use a regular audio cable to change 2.90 modes.
I said no because current pass through this cables.
Other member said it is wrong and you can use any regular audio cables.
So I will tell you what happened to a friend of mine.

He uses audio cables and during our last rehearsal,we played for about 3 hours and one of his 3 mode cables melted !
Smoke, a sweet burning perfume in the air :lol:
The foam of the studio's wall ( sonex ) turned into black and melted too.
I think if we were in a break drinking some cokes, maybe fire could melted our equipments AND the studio's room :shock:
I can't stand and said = I told you man , audio cables aren't good for it !

So I hope it won't never happen to anyone but don't use audio cables to do that job.
:D

I don't want to call bullshit on this but I think i have to. There is not enough voltage or current to do that with a normal 290.

If this happened with a guitar cable it would have happened with a speaker cable.

The fact that he was using a guitar was not the cause of this.

Greg

yea sounds BS. ive only ever used regular cables. if that really did happen, it was most likely the cable was faulty

well my friends he changed to a speaker cable and 2.90 is normal.No more melting cables.
BS or not it did happen.
Maybe your cables will never melt but I don't want to risk my 2.90 because here we don't have a place to fix it.
Anyway if you are happy with your cables ok.

disassembled said:
If this happened with a guitar cable it would have happened with a speaker cable.
Greg

I don't know what caused it but I know that just this cable melted and after changed for a speaker cable,untill now it didn't happen again.
The studio's technycian said that audio cables has the inside plastic protection wich melted .If you have a cable with a thin plastic protection it can melt.But I guess will never know what is the problem so I prefer not risk my 2.90.
BTW I post it just to help not to say that I was right about the cable,I think is better use speaker cable than spend money with fixings :wink:

18&Life said:
I don't know what caused it

I think this sums up your post. You shouldn't post things as facts when you don't know the full story because then other people will believe them to be true.

Greg

I tried to help someone .
I know the full story cause I know that he's using speaker cables and 2.90 is normal.

So if you don't need any advice about it, let my advice help who is in need .
What caused don't make any difference because it doesn't happen anymore.
So use a speaker cable is better than wait for something to come( or not come).
I think this way if you don't , ok.
If I can help only one person so my job is done. :D

Definitely BS. Go to recording.org and talk to some pros about cabling.

theaero said:
Definitely BS. Go to recording.org and talk to some pros about cabling.

If you can find there any explanations for what happened ,please post here to help us in some way. :wink:

a quote from the 2:90 manual

Any type of cable is fine for this switching operation. It need not be shielded signal
cable.

something other than the cable is at fault for it melting, or (like i said earlier) the cable is faulty

Rayder said:
a quote from the 2:90 manual

Any type of cable is fine for this switching operation. It need not be shielded signal
cable.

something other than the cable is at fault for it melting, or (like i said earlier) the cable is faulty

I agree but speakers cables are more thick,even a faulty speaker cable won't melt .I hope so :lol:

Definitely, for connect a power amplifier to a cabinet you must have a speaker cable. (the cab must have the same ohms value for the power amplifier. Cab must always have the same or higher ohms.. NOT MINOR)

Shielded cable (made for an instrument signals) must be used for connect all your rig, starting from your instrument and finishing to your power amplifier input stage. From power amp output you MUST use speaker cable.....non shielded cable. A speaker cable doesn't mean a special kind of cable....a speaker cable is a normal electrical cable, with two separate copper cables. One for positive and the other one for negative. through the speaker cable the power amp send a specific wattage to your cabinet, and this power moves your loudspeakers. The power must flow free into this cable and if you use a shielded cable, there's a funnel effect. The power signal is bigger than your shielded cable can allow.

So, pay attention. A shielded cable can work but damage your power amp or your cab or both.

remember:

-shielded cable to protect your instrument signals from external interference. (guitar signal can be affected from a radio signal that travel free through your room.)

-speaker cable (not shielded) for your cabs. (a power signal sended from a power amp to a cab contains a specific wattage can't be affected from external interference)

Different story for switching cable. They work like an on/off switch. There's no hi wattage use for this specific change so, you can use shielded or unshielded cable. MesaBoogie don't say "you must use a specific cable". Let you to make the cable choice.

The only way to damage your power amp is:

- power on without the output jacks right connected between power amp and cab

- disconnect the speaker cables from your power amp without switch it off. Remember, through the speaker cable there are watts. Not chips...WATTs...you can bring an electrical shok.

- connect a power amp to a cab with less ohm that the power amp.

- use shielded cable between power amp and cab

Sorry for the log story

Marvell said:
Different story for switching cable. They work like an on/off switch. There's no hi wattage use for this specific change so, you can use shielded or unshielded cable. MesaBoogie don't say "you must use a specific cable". Let you to make the cable choice.
this is the important part for this case. I think there's something strange in that 2:90 if it causes melting.

I beleave that no switch cables can melt down in that way...unless they're the same as Christmas lights series cables :twisted:

and the most important thing.... can a 2:90 melt switching cables still running powered on? No fuse/tube blow.... no ac plug melted in the wall..

with all respect
it sounds like an urban legend without truth.

Anto

fatti...non pugnette!

ciao Ytse :wink:

thanks for such nice words.
If you think I'm kidding so don't pay attention to this post.
I'm sure there is a bunch of dudes who bought a 2.90 and don't know wich cables should use .I just try it to help because I was there the same place too. :cry:
We don't rehearsal at that studio anymore but I remember the owner took a photo ,I'll try to find this picture.
Anyway can you be more gentle,dudes I just told you a fact,what caused I don't know,what I do know is it happened with the audio cable on the modes of 2.90
If the problem is on the cable or 2.90,I really don't know,what I know is with a speaker cable , untill now it doesn't happen again :D

I use a standard audio patch lead to connect the mode switching on my 2:90 from my Recto Preamp. No issues. I believe it's a one off electrical pulse each time you change modes. Nothing serious.

Something else must of been faulty.

18&Life
I’m with everyone else, must have been some other condition to cause a cable to melt. All those jacks are doing is tripping some relays. Also, even a shielded cable although not by design, can still handle a fair amount of current before it melts.
Later on today I’m going to try to find a schematic for the 2:90 (just for my own curiosity) if enough amperage melted that cable even a shielded cable I would think something in the 2:90 would be fried also.

But the bottom line if you are content with using speaker cables that’s Ok also, the voice switching is not depended on shielded cable.

6L6C said:
18&Life
I’m with everyone else, must have been some other condition to cause a cable to melt. All those jacks are doing is tripping some relays. Also, even a shielded cable although not by design, can still handle a fair amount of current before it melts.
Later on today I’m going to try to find a schematic for the 2:90 (just for my own curiosity) if enough amperage melted that cable even a shielded cable I would think something in the 2:90 would be fried also.

But the bottom line if you are content with using speaker cables that’s Ok also, the voice switching is not depended on shielded cable.

For God's sake an intelligent and polite person. :D
If you find something about it,please let me know it.
Luck

Latest posts

Back