150w Black Shadows? Halfback Content.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam adams

Reaction score
Just got around to taking pics of my new white Mesa Halfback. :D

100% sexy.
P1040098.jpg

P1040097.jpg

P1040093.jpg

P1040092.jpg

P1040091.jpg

P1040090.jpg

As you can see there are two 150w Mesa Black Shadows up top. Two Celestion G12-80's on the bottom. It has a panel that allows me to make it all closed back. Never seen one with that before. I'm not sure whether I like it more as a half open back or as a closed back yet. So far I've spent most my time with the panel off running it with my 50w Jcm 800 for some classy crunch tones and it's amazing. I can't wait to try it with my 5150's for some modern high gain tones. I also have a pair of 8 ohm Eminence Swamp Thangs Lying around That I might try swapping the g12-80's out for. Those things have a BIG sound. :)

Question though. Every Black Shadow I've seen has been 90w. To my knowledge they're just relabeled Celestion Custom 90's. Does anyone know more about the 150w ones?

Thanks for looking.

Nice Cab! The Halfback that I had an extra back piece as well so that you could close it off and make it a closed back cab. Sounds cool! 8)

Those 150 watters should be Emminence IIRC.

Nice cab...

Well first there is no Celestion-branded Custom 90. There's a Classic Lead 80, which is what the Black Shadow MC-90 is based on.

The 150w Black Shadow is an Eminence/Mesa speaker. It has more headroom than the MC90 (which wasn't available when the ms12s were made). It was, I believe, the companion speaker to the Mesa/Eminence Vintage 50s.

I think they are smoother than EVs but they still have that super-high-headroom feel to them.

Cool cab!

I got an old carvin copy of the metal grill boogie with 4 150W black shadow speakers.

I remember when I bougth them from the original owner I took one out to check it and found out those things weight a lot!, I had problems to put it back in...hehe this is the cab that I used with my Mark IIC colliseum.

Back