Kruse mod for Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi fellows,

I am considering the Kruse mod for my Mark 3.

Do you have any experience with it?
Can you share your thoughts?

This is the mod I am talking about:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,
Ivo

If what you really want is an HRM sound, you could sell your III, buy a Splawn or something, and have money left over. Or take the money you'd be spending on shipping and the mod and buy a preamp you can run into the III's power section.

Mark IIIs in decent shape have become pretty collectible/pricey. I would think real, real hard before modding one. Might be youtube but those videos don't sound particularly special, plexi/brown sounds are kind of a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
If what you really want is an HRM sound, you could sell your III, buy a Splawn or something, and have money left over. Or take the money you'd be spending on shipping and the mod and buy a preamp you can run into the III's power section.

Mark IIIs in decent shape have become pretty collectible/pricey. I would think real, real hard before modding one. Might be youtube but those videos don't sound particularly special, plexi/brown sounds are kind of a dime a dozen.
I would only take my Mesa to Mesa themselves for mods. I'm sure Mike B. can do something that you'll like, but that does sound like a different amp then a mark. 10 years from now when Mike is retired and all the Mark IIC+'s are in collector vaults a Mark III in good working order will probably be worth enough money to put a down payment on a house, or something crazy.

I'd be curious to see a schematic, since there's only so many things you can switch with a dpdt. My guess listening is a smaller coupling cap plus adding a small Ck on a stage.

As far as nodding a III in general, the R2 volume pot mod is a must IMO. There are other possibilities, but at least do that.

Hi Guys,
I am sorry for the late reply.
Instead of too many notes I had too many problems at work :)

I believe you guys are correct.
The amp has no mods, it is better to keep it that way.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Ivo

You made a Mark III sound like a Marshall. And, honestly, not the best Marshall I ever heard. I can't say I think you got your money's worth here. To me it sounds like the amp I'd lose interest in playing before long. Not a win.

I'd much rather pick up a Marshall 2203 or 1959 and send it off to get a Hopkins mod done to it. Pandora or maybe some other flavor of his mods. And I'd much rather keep my Blue Stripe Mark III in its stock, already head crushing state.

Back