Post removed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I bought my Single recto I also got a pair of EL34's STR447's to be exact. I thought they sounded harsh kinda. I didn't spend days eq'ing them mind you...and its nice to have a diff flavour on hand for recording purposes but I put the 6L6's back in pretty quickly. I prefer them hands down.

ya, both sound great... i think i'm a 6l6 man though, although i wouldnt mind having a backup set of 34's :roll:

OK? Well, I'm getting some farting speaker sounds and some buzzing or rattling noises! And honestly, I can't tell too much of a difference between the tube types? I mean, it's a tube comparison! Why all the pre and post EQ?

jbird said:
OK? Well, I'm getting some farting speaker sounds and some buzzing or rattling noises! And honestly, I can't tell too much of a difference between the tube types? I mean, it's a tube comparison! Why all the pre and post EQ?

That was my thoughts exactly.

Koprofag, if you wanted an Electric Wizard type tone, I'd probably suggest sticking with the 6L6s. I do know they lean more to the marshall side of things, but they also use distortion pedals, if i'm not mistaken. Still, its all personal preference.

*edit*
after listening to all the clips, i think the 6L6s are better on the clean channel. They have so much more warmth to the sound.

On Raw i prefer EL34s because its more of a Black Sabbath tone, but i think its too thin sounding on Vintage and Modern. Like i said.. personal preference

I love this comparison, excellent work dude!! :D :D
IMHO administrator should make this STICKY!!!!
pleeeeze?

dood .. nice comparison, good job.

6L6 all the way, on everything except for pushed I think the EL34's sounded a hair better.

The Raw 6L6 sabbath was dead on.

cool, i have been interested in hearing the difference between 6l6's and el34's.

i must say i definatly prefer the 6l6 for the cleans but for the pushed im sorta torn. There both good but i maybe prefer the el34's.

same with modern i m kinda liking the el's better.
I still would like to try el34's for my self though.

I have done this same sort of comparison and since the Recto has so much low end, I think it's a home run to add some El34's to the amp

The coolest configuration is hte integrated quad set up.Combine both tube types.You still hear qualities from both pairs of tubes

Sorry for this late bump, I was wondering if you/or some other kind soul could upload this into an mp3 format. Quicktime is like broken or something and it won't let me play these :(

It works for me :?
Wow that was fun! I like the 6L6's for the most part but the EL's have their moments :D Interesting that the overall quality was "buzzy" and "farty", I'm thinking it didn't sound like that when you recorded it.

Thanks!

Man, I'm stupid :( I wasn't thinking I could just save them to my comp.....well that worked. Great clips, don't know which I prefer though, both sound great.

Latest posts

Back