Roadster chassis removal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay tyleshevski

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm JayT. New to the forum.I bought a Roadster used a few years ago and didn't notice that on the back side of the amp, the pot shafts were broken. I would like to replace them myself, in order to try and save a few bucks. The shafts are still usable, shorter but I can still turn them, but the knurl knobs are gone, and I would like to get them taken care of. There might be enough shaft left to attempt to get new knobs to grab the shaft, and I will probably try that first, but I'm looking ahead incase the shafts are too short for the knurl set screws to grab. Plan b is to pull the chasis and replace the pots. Also I read a statement somewhere about draining of stored energy before removing the chasis ? If so , how do I go about doing that ? and removing the chasis to get to the pots. I read somewhere that a guy said to flip the amp upside down to get to 4 mounting screws, but I don't think the reverb woul'd like that very much. Thanks ahead of time, Jay

I generally do not bother to drain the caps to remove the chassis. But if I am going to do any work on a tube amp I will do it after I get the chassis out. Just do not stick your hands onto the circuit board or hold onto any exposed connections. Lay the amp down on the floor with the bottom closest to you. You can remove the power tubes and rectifiers if you have not done so. If you have never had all of the power tubes removed before, take a picture of the amp with the tubes installed so than when you go to put them back in, you do not mix up power tubes with rectifier tubes meaning where do they get installed. (easy thing to remember, the rectifiers install in the two sockets closest to the power cord). After the chassis is out, nothing plugged into the amp, to discharge, I will just switch the standby switch as if I was going to play through the amp. Let that go for at least one hour. At that point I will measure for any residual stored voltage across the main capacitors using a multimeter. Best if the leads have alligator clips so you do not have to use both hands to hold probes against wires. Clip the negative lead to the chassis, confirm it has good contact to chassis ground, you can do a resistance test first, meter on ohms, take the + terminal and touch a jack or even the ground pin on the socket for the power cord. Not sure if all Roadsters came with a removable power cord. If not, you can confirm with the round pin on the power plug. Set the multimeter to read dc voltage and connect the positive lead to the positive side of one of the supply caps. Note that the two 220uF caps are connected in series. May as well check both + leads on the large blue caps. If you measure any voltage, let it sit for longer. When the meter reads 0 volts or a few millivolts you are good. Before you get your hands into the wiring, you can probe around at some of the plate pins on the preamp tubes as they are accessible inside on the preamp board. On the 12AX7 sockets, the plates are pin 1 and pin 6. leave the negative lead connected to the same spot on the chassis. What is the chance the bleed resistors are open? it can happen, if it does, there will be high voltage potential that will require a different method to discharge. If you never did any of this before or are not familiar with electronic parts or tube amps in general, the chances of you getting zapped and falling over dead due to cardiac arrest are 1 in 3. Don't worry, you will only feel it once if it happens. Play it safe, may be cheaper to have it serviced.

The only pots that run on the back side are the reverb controls, slave out, and effects send. The effects send has a center point detent that you can feel when rotating. The others are just basic potentiometers.

Attachments

• Roadster.jpg
    Roadster.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 0
Just wanted to add that you need to disconnect the reverb tank connections before you can completely slide the chassis out. The connections are along the edge of the chassis right behind the output transformer. Be sure to take note of the plug positions and reconnect them exactly the same.

I will slide the chassis out a couple of inches first to give a bit more access to the connectors.

Dom

Thanks for the info guys. It would probably be best for me to have it serviced or just leave it. There is still enough shaft for me to turn so I will probably just live with it. I dont know enough about electricity to chance it. Thanks again !

I take all amp chassis out when I buy (used). That’s to check caps etc for obvious damage, burn marks etc. caught a few on the blink items that way before they caused mayhem. Not in my roadsters though. They are as good as the day they were made.

One thing of note is before you pull the cassis there is a “hand tight” phillips head screw in the middle behind the power tubes that sticks out a bit. Undo that another inch or so. Otherwise it’ll snag against the shell. Don’t ask how I know…

I spoke with a local tech over the phone to get an idea of the labor costs, he said in order to change the pots on the backside, you must also remove a hardboard. To me, the pics I saw didn't appear that to be necessary with the roadster but the road king appeared to be blocking them standing on edge.

I take all amp chassis out when I buy (used). That’s to check caps etc for obvious damage, burn marks etc. caught a few on the blink items that way before they caused mayhem. Not in my roadsters though. They are as good as the day they were made.

One thing of note is before you pull the cassis there is a “hand tight” phillips head screw in the middle behind the power tubes that sticks out a bit. Undo that another inch or so. Otherwise it’ll snag against the shell. Don’t ask how I know…
Mine did not come with the chassis tensioner bolt. I bought mine new in 2014. Always thought that was a combo thing. I did find that in the RA100 combo but is not present in the head version. If so equipped, look for it if it is there. The California Tweed has this as well. It is a combo. I would prefer the simple screw vs the mushroom bolt assembly used with the Mark V head or combo.

Just be mindful of the potential voltage that could be there. If you leave the standby switch in the on position for a while, things will dissipate if there is any stored energy. Best to measure for residual voltage before getting your fingers into the amp. It is not difficult.

As for the rear pots, I did not see any hardboard. There is one just below it but did not look like it was blocking anything unless you had to remove the jacks.

Take a picture of the back panel so we can see which pots are damaged. As long as it is not one of the rotary switches, you should be able to replace them. I would have to look at the amp again. I typically remove the chassis when I do any sort of tube rolling as I do not want to wait for the power tubes to cool down to roll in a preamp tube or two. The knobs are chrome on the front, they just look black in the picture.

20230407_200624.jpg

If I get the Roadster out again, I need to take a look at its innards as I had an issue with it not too long ago. I will get a better picture of the back panel from the inside. I do not recall seeing any board that would make removal of the reverb control pots or the slave out pot difficult to remove.

I’ve only seen the tension bolt in combos. My head does not have one.

There is also no panel in the back on my head, not sure about the combo.

Dom

[edit] added chassis pic

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpeg
    IMG_1132.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ve only seen the tension bolt in combos. My head does not have one.

There is also no panel in the back on my head, not sure about the combo.

Dom

[edit] added chassis pic
Yes it’s a combo. The effin screw screwed me around quite some. Never seen that before! Love life’s learnings though ;)

Back