New Rectifier Tubes from Eurotube (GZ34) tone report

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Wow is all I can say.

This thing has so much more focused bass and attack now, it feels incredible. For anyone on the line as to whether to purchase these or not, get the GZ34's and don't look back.

No more mush!

alltubes.jpg

do you have that amp set up with 2 el34s and 2 6l6s?

i have a RK, i mainly use channels 1 and 2, and i play 60'sish rock stuff. what tubes should i get when i have to retube? if you could offer any advice?

thanks!
thomas

egosheep said:
do you have that amp set up with 2 el34s and 2 6l6s?

i have a RK, i mainly use channels 1 and 2, and i play 60'sish rock stuff. what tubes should i get when i have to retube? if you could offer any advice?

thanks!
thomas

That is 2 EL34L's and 2 EL84's (on top the yellow converters).

As far as tubes, check out

www.dougstubes.com
www.eurotubes.com

Read the reviews, see which are more up your alley.

What brand of the GZ34's did you use? I see that they cost around $50.00 which would mean $150.00 for my triple. But if they really loose that mushy and attack much better they may be worth it.

How do you like the El34's in the Mesa?

SilverBayJ said:
What brand of the GZ34's did you use? I see that they cost around $50.00 which would mean $150.00 for my triple. But if they really loose that mushy and attack much better they may be worth it.

How do you like the El34's in the Mesa?

I used JJ GZ34's.. and they are 14 dollars each so it would cost you 48 or so..

I love the EL34L's in the Mesa, it slaughters the stiletto's el34 sound.
Check out the rigs/tone forum for some clips of me using it.

That really helps, saves me about $100, and those who own Triples, know how much we spend on tubes a year, especially if recording and gigging constantly!

SilverBayJ said:
That really helps, saves me about $100, and those who own Triples, know how much we spend on tubes a year, especially if recording and gigging constantly!

Glad I could help! Let me know how you like the tone!

SilverBayJ said:
...those who own Triples, know how much we spend on tubes a year, especially if recording and gigging constantly!

Amen brother!!! Just did a full retube about 3 mos ago (all JJ, 6L6) and now they came out with those **** KT77's....the gas is killing me.

Platypus said:
Wow is all I can say.

This thing has so much more focused bass and attack now, it feels incredible. For anyone on the line as to whether to purchase these or not, get the GZ34's and don't look back.

No more mush!

+1 on the GZ34's. Niiiice!

fredster said:
Platypus said:
Wow is all I can say.

No more mush!

+1 on the GZ34's. Niiiice!

+1.

I love my GZ34's.

Know what will really reduce sag and tighten things up? Using the solid state rectifier setting. :p

Honestly, the voltage drop created by a GZ34/5AR4 in a Mesa is insignificant; I doubt anyone could detect a difference in response in a blind A-B test between a SS rectifier and a GZ34 in otherwise identical amps.

Nigel.Wambuto said:
Know what will really reduce sag and tighten things up? Using the solid state rectifier setting. :p

Honestly, the voltage drop created by a GZ34/5AR4 in a Mesa is insignificant; I doubt anyone could detect a difference in response in a blind A-B test between a SS rectifier and a GZ34 in otherwise identical amps.

Respectfully, I disagree with this post. The difference is audible regardless of voltage drop between SS and the GZ's. To each their own but the folks who are open minded enough to try other tubes in their amps and report their findings is paramount to the growth of this community. :)

I've heard that the 5AR4 rectifier tubes are notorious for shorting out and causing damage to the transformer. Is this true? Are the Mesa 5AR4's good quality and worth using?

Ciao ...

Storm said:
I've heard that the 5AR4 rectifier tubes are notorious for shorting out and causing damage to the transformer. Is this true? Are the Mesa 5AR4's good quality and worth using?

Ciao ...

I've yet to have a problem with the JJ GZ's. Give the Mesa's a try.

I'm still confused about the need to have the rectifier tubes changed. Tube dealers such as Eurotubes and Groove Tubes have literally told me, "Don't worry about the rectifier tubes, it works or it doesn't". They could have had an easy sale with me, but instead have told me that it doesn't have anything to do with tone and not to waste my money. I will save some pennies and worry about the preamp section first, followed by the power tubes.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
I'm still confused about the need to have the rectifier tubes changed. Tube dealers such as Eurotubes and Groove Tubes have literally told me, "Don't worry about the rectifier tubes, it works or it doesn't". They could have had an easy sale with me, but instead have told me that it doesn't have anything to do with tone and not to waste my money. I will save some pennies and worry about the preamp section first, followed by the power tubes.

If you don't switch the tube rectifier into the circuit then Bob is right your not using it. However for the few of us who use it, there is a huge difference between the 5U4's and the GZ34's. There are dynamics with either tube that are attainable that you can't get while using the silicon diodes.

Do you know which rectifier tube is activated when running in 50-watt mode?
I have a Stiletto Deuce and a Roadster. I only run in 50-watt. I'm thinking about trying out one GZ34. I just don't know if it's the right or left slot. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back