2 Channel Recto vs. Trem-o-verb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moore5150

Reaction score
I have had the chance to play on a 2 channel recto and a 3 channel recto and find both of them to be awesome amps. I do agree with the majority of people on this forum that say the 2 channel is a bit warmer. My question is, how do the tones from the 2 channel compare to the tones of the T-verb? It seems that they are set up similar with the exception of the blues mode and the effects (trem and verb). Has anyone had the chance to test these out? Unfortunately, you can't just walk into your local guitar store anymore and crank on a tremoverb, maybe that will change someday (Mesa are you listening??). Any information you guys have would be most appreciated. Thanx!

I've yet to play on on TOV, but from what I've heard, they aren't as gainy as the Duals and Triples. They are said to sound better, but that is all opinion also. I've been looking for one as well, because I would like to try one out.

They pretty much have the same Recto vibe as the 2 channel versions, but they have switchable modes like the 3 channel heads. You can turn the Clean into Vintage High Gain and you can turn the Modern channel into the Blues mode. Those modes have a different EQ shift compared to how the 3 channel heads' tonal shift acts between the Raw and Vintage modes and don't forget about the Pushed mode on the clean channel.

They also have the Channel Cloning thing in the back like the 2 channel heads.

As far as the tonal differences. First, the Tremelo is loading down the preamp, so it's going to yeild a cleaner vibe. I don't think the Tremelo works very good on it though. It's not as good as a Fender's. The clean channel sounds pretty good and you have the option of splashing some Reverb on it. I didn't really like the Blues or Vintage modes and I didn't use the Channel Cloning, so no comments there. As far as comparing the Modern modes of both amps, the T-verb at 2:45 on the gain knob was equal to the regular 2 channel version at 2:00 on it's gain knob. I made that observation with a good, trusted set of GE preamp tubes that I have and Svetlana (now SED) 6L6GC's in the power section of both amplifiers.

Hope this helped some.

Dale

That helps a lot. I just hear stuff like "it's not as brutal as the original recto". I also hear that the T-verb is a lot warmer and smoother sounding than the straight recto heads. Sounds like they are pretty close though. Like I said, I would love to sit down and a/b them some time, but I can't seem to find one anywhere (other than ebay).

Gah. This thread makes me want to punch myself.

That the Dual Rec Tremoverb is warmer than the plain Dual Rec, and that the Dual Rec is warmer than the Triple Rec.

When I naively A/Bed the Trem with the vanilla Dual Rec I couldn't hear a difference worth a ****, and I had never experienced a Fender tremolo, so I was swayed by, what the hell, integrated analog tremolo and reverb. And you really can't go wrong with those, but now I want gain, again, and again for my style.

Judging by Dale B's A/B test, that a Tremoverb's gain at 2:45 is equivalent to the vanilla Dual Rec at 2:00, that means that Dual Rec owners have gain that goes to 11!

I do own a Tremo-Verb which I enjoy alot but ...

but I really do think a Dual Rectifier does specialize in the high gain region a wee bit better than the Trem-o-Verb.

But not so sure the "average ears" could determine [no offense alejandro]. I mean, overall I like the versatility of the Trem-o-Verb, but the Dual Rectifier high gain tone was easy to obtain.

Then watch someone point out that its all our head that they're using the same circuitry. :?

My A/B test was 9 years ago.

I'm fcukin devastated. Seriously, I just want that extra oomph now, and I don't know how to cheat to get to it. I can hear it begging me on the gain horizon, and I want to push it hotter, I'm not entirely satisfied anymore, and yet I never knew. And well, more bells (tremolo) and whistles (reverb) come at a cost... which I did not consider at-all at the time.

Currently, I am under-going unemployment and relationship problems with a girl of several years. This is more. This is...

do yourself a favor and go listen to Incubus' SCIENCE album, specifically the song Idiot Box. That's the best sound I can ever imagine a DR having, and it happens to be that the guitarist was playing tremoverbs at the time. (w. PRS)

Thanks for the recommendation. I listen to most of my music with headphone monitors, so I can better pick out the details of such things.

On the other hand, I figured it out. The lack of gain again and again can be easily rectified with higher output pups, which my PRS has (HFS, as opposed to DiMarzio Steve's Special).

I'm fine now. [Yeah, He's trippin.-Ed.]

I just haven't reached for the PRS in a while. I've been exercising with the playability of the JPM. It's also much lighter a guitar.

Just my 2 cents. The Tremoverb I own has tons of gain. In my opinion at lower volumes anything above 2:45 or so is overkill. You tend to lose harmonics and it gets fizzy (and this is with burstbuckers in my L.P.) When I turn it up to gig levels, I back the gain to about 1:30-2:00 and get that natural speaker breakup. Tons of gain on tap compared to my Marshall TSL that I couldn't wait to unload! If you need more gain than what comes stock on the Dual Rec or Tremoverb I don't know what will satisfy you. No offense intended.

Chewbacca said:
Just my 2 cents. The Tremoverb I own has tons of gain. In my opinion at lower volumes anything above 2:45 or so is overkill. You tend to lose harmonics and it gets fizzy (and this is with burstbuckers in my L.P.) When I turn it up to gig levels, I back the gain to about 1:30-2:00 and get that natural speaker breakup. Tons of gain on tap compared to my Marshall TSL that I couldn't wait to unload! If you need more gain than what comes stock on the Dual Rec or Tremoverb I don't know what will satisfy you. No offense intended.

+1 on that........I run either EMG's or a Dimebucker and I never have my gain past 2:30 or so. The amp is plenty heavy enough on the Red/Modern channel. I can't imagine a regular Dual Rec having much more gain and even if it did I wouldn't utilize it. I play metal and find myself having to back off on the gain if anything to keep everything tight. I think the clean tones are a bit better with the option of using a little Reverb but normally I just run an analog chorus pedal in the effects loop. I never use the Tremolo effect myself. The Tremoverb is the nicest amp I have ever owned and I am completely satisfied with the tones I get out of it.

Ive owned a 96 Tremoverb head for 2 years and now traded it for a 3 channel Triple Recto going on 2 years ago, and the difference that I heard was that the Tremoverb was alot warmer. Im not sure that the difference was gain but I always had trouble getting it to crunch with the chunk in order to make everything round out for me and stay tight. It got so much warmer as you turned up the gain. I find more of what I personally like in my straight-up triple. If I need Tremlo and reverb I can get a pedal for that. :wink:

mikey383 said:
I've yet to play on on TOV, but from what I've heard, they aren't as gainy as the Duals and Triples. They are said to sound better, but that is all opinion also. I've been looking for one as well, because I would like to try one out.

NOPE, IT IS NOY AN OPINION< THEY DO SOUND BETTER!!!!!!!!!

I had a Tremoverb and sold it because i was moving close to 7 months ago.

Meanwhile i bought a MArk IV, wich is a great tone machine, but i was missing my Tremoverb a lot, so yesterday i found one and bought it on sight.(internet sight that is)

So here are my daughters, well, maybe the Mark IV will be sold because i am moving again.
i had the Tremoverb sent to my new place, but i can't take the Mark IV combo plus all the different things i have.

They are both good looking girls !

DSCF0132.jpg

and

Picture7.jpg

If I was salesperson and someone came up to me to compare a Dual (or Tri) Rectifier -vs- a Trem-o-Verb I would try to be impartial.

I do favor the Trem-o-Verb's versatilty and the Red Channel / High Gain Modern Mode gives me more than enough gain than I'll ever need.

Now if a customer comes to me and said he plays heavier stuff, heavy metal only, just because I personally favor the Trem-o-Verb I am certainly NOT going to say: "I prefer you try a Trem-o-Verb." I would direct him to the Dual Rectifier since its a little more dedicated for the heavier stuff I would think.

Dale B. said:
... didn't really like the Blues or Vintage modes
See ... these two channels/ modes I used most often and this why I like the ToV where Dale B. doesn't. I would assume this customer won't used these channels / modes either.

So why would you direct someone to an amp (ToV in this case) that they won't use some of the channels / modes?

Just my $.02 :wink:

I have owned the DR, all different varitions of it, the TOV, Roadking and this is what i can tell you.

The tremo is voice differently as well as the RK's, i actualy think these two amps sound more alike I think they have more of a higher midrange where the Dual and Triple are voiced in a lower midrange.

It is not a huge different, but it is there. Now comparing two channel rec very TOV, for metal i think the dual and triples are better, for hard rock and rock the TOV takes it.

Now adding the 3 channel Rec VS the Tremo, well the 3 channel is just more verstile with the raw modes, pushed etc....

The roadking is a great amp as well, a bit overkill for what i used it for, and i am thinking of getting the Roadster after they work the bugs out etc..

But yes all the Rec's are slightly voiced differently, but they still have that great Recto tone. But most players i see playing Tremoverbs are rock to hard rock guys, like incubus, the guy from fleetwood mac, and the guys from everclear.

Weirdest place i ever saw a dual Rect 2 channel, was the guitarist for James Brown, take it he used clean the whole night, just weird seeing it on stage.

macmax said:
mikey383 said:

NOPE, IT IS NOY AN OPINION< THEY DO SOUND BETTER!!!!!!!!!

I had a Tremoverb and sold it because i was moving close to 7 months ago.

Meanwhile i bought a MArk IV, wich is a great tone machine, but i was missing my Tremoverb a lot, so yesterday i found one and bought it on sight.(internet sight that is)

So here are my daughters, well, maybe the Mark IV will be sold because i am moving again.
i had the Tremoverb sent to my new place, but i can't take the Mark IV combo plus all the different things i have.

They are both good looking girls !

DSCF0132.jpg

and

Picture7.jpg

By teh way, she will look like this after tuesday

tremo-wheat.jpg

macmax:

Serves you right getting rid of your Trem-o-Verb in the first place. :lol: (kidding)

I know the Road King II is the MESA's most versatile amp if not the most versatile tube amp out in the market and I plan get one myself, but I can't see myself part with my Trem-o-Verb knowing it's capability of the sounds I could obtain from it.

On this board, I must be in the minority. I buy guitar amps (its going to be a "keeper") knowing its capability than knowing its potential.

RR said:
macmax:

Serves you right getting rid of your Trem-o-Verb in the first place. :lol: (kidding)

I know the Road King II is the MESA's most versatile amp if not the most versatile tube amp out in the market and I plan get one myself, but I can't see myself part with my Trem-o-Verb knowing it's capability of the sounds I could obtain from it.

On this board, I must be in the minority. I buy guitar amps (its going to be a "keeper") knowing its capability than knowing its potential.

AHHAHAHA :D

I prefer the Tremoverb , i don't want a RK.
I am just going to take off the Silver grille and put the tan grille so it can look like that, hehehehhehe.

I know what you mean, but i was moving and had a combo, moving from one country to another, so i had to sell my Tremoverb and i have been looking for one for 8 months.

Now that i actually had the chance to purchase another Tremoverb, i am even going to sleep with her, hahahhahahhahah.

Take good care my friend and let ourselves enjoy our beautiful amps!

Latest posts

Back