Speaker for 2x12 closed-back cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Hi there. I own a mesa boogie quad preamp + a 2:90 power amp. Currently I am using a 2x12 handmade closed-back cabinet loaded with one Celestion Gold 50W, 12" Alnico Guitar Speaker 8 ohm.The speaker itself sounds AWESOME, but I can't afford to buy a second one and I would like to pair it with another affordable speaker. I mostly play 80's metal. Could anyone recommend me a speaker up to 100 USD used or new?

I run a similar setup. Quad with 295 into a closed back 2x12 with Celestion Greenbacks. I don't know how the Golds sound, but the Greenbacks IMO aren't very Boogie friendly. A little loose for how I set the Quad Channel 2 lead. Great for Channel 1 clean and Lead 1 type classic rock/70s clean/distortion, but not great for what I would play post 1985. lol. I personally hate them from Y2K and higher metal. I usually try to set my Quad for a Lukather or 80's metal sound.

Main reason I'm mentioning the Greenbacks is that I got the pair NEW for $200. Had a few friends use the cab with Dual Recs, and an Express who thought it sounded awesome. I think depending on the settings of your Quad, it might be worth listening.

Yeah, I know what you are saying man. Some folks told me to pair the Gold with a V 30. They say that the pairing would be pretty interesting, but I would like to get some more opinions...

From that comparison, I like the V30s even though they both sounded **** good. There are slight differences in tone. Maybe I expected a lot from the greenbacks, which I don't hear when I set up a rig using them. Haha.

I think I'm coming across that I don't like the GB, which isn't the case. I can only get a specific uses out of them that I find appealing. They sound great with my Bandmaster head and as an extension cab for my 5150. The Boogie stuff makes them not so versatile IMO, for the settings I use.

Back