Quads

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbone

Reaction score
Well I finally picked up a Mesa High Gain Amp switcher this week which was the "missing link" for this project.
Hooked everything up and gave it a test drive. The GCX switchers via voodoo lab Ground control are switching all the functions on the quads and controlling the HGAS. This setup allows me to use one Rack multi FX unit between preamps. I dont have to worry about my channel input volumes at all now, I can have the cleans clean and the metal metal.
For Starters I set up eight presets on the ground control RHY1, RHY1EQ, RHY 2, RHY2EQ, LD1EQ, LD1EQFX, LD2EQ,LD2EQFX.
basically just using QUAD 1 RHY1 RHY2 QUAD2 Lead 1 Lead 2 for the moment.

on another note...I also tested the THD Hot plate I borrowed on the load setting and slaved it out to the Mesa 295 from the Dual Rectifier rackmount which works as well. Its a little different sound than the rectifier but its still good. I'll have to integrate that next for a test run with this stuff.

Signal
Guitar chord into HGAS
HGAS sends to Quads guitar input jacks
Quad 1 "A output jack" (This gives me the Deep pull pot on channel 1) to HGAS returns
Quad 2 Effects send ( I like for high gain ) to HGAS returns
HGAS output mono to Mono in TC G-Major 2
TC G-major 2 stereo outs to Mesa 295
Mesa 295 out to Mesa 4x12 Recto cab Stereo

Nice setup ! Having a midi switcher is a plus for the Quad for sure !

I see on your pic that you have a 295 with presence controls. Can you tell how they act on the sound ?
And maybe can you draw a little schematic of the presence circuitry ? Pllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase :mrgreen: I hope you can !

I run my presence at about 6 most of the time. To me it lends a brightness or crispness to the overall tone.
I honestly don't know how they are wired but its a real sweet amp, I picked it up a few months ago and had Boogie overhaul it along with the Quads.

dbone said:
Well I finally picked up a Mesa High Gain Amp switcher this week which was the "missing link" for this project.
Hooked everything up and gave it a test drive. The GCX switchers via voodoo lab Ground control are switching all the functions on the quads and controlling the HGAS. This setup allows me to use one Rack multi FX unit between preamps. I dont have to worry about my channel input volumes at all now, I can have the cleans clean and the metal metal.
For Starters I set up eight presets on the ground control RHY1, RHY1EQ, RHY 2, RHY2EQ, LD1EQ, LD1EQFX, LD2EQ,LD2EQFX.
basically just using QUAD 1 RHY1 RHY2 QUAD2 Lead 1 Lead 2 for the moment.

on another note...I also tested the THD Hot plate I borrowed on the load setting and slaved it out to the Mesa 295 from the Dual Rectifier rackmount which works as well. Its a little different sound than the rectifier but its still good. I'll have to integrate that next for a test run with this stuff.

Signal
Guitar chord into HGAS
HGAS sends to Quads guitar input jacks
Quad 1 "A output jack" (This gives me the Deep pull pot on channel 1) to HGAS returns
Quad 2 Effects send ( I like for high gain ) to HGAS returns
HGAS output mono to Mono in TC G-Major 2
TC G-major 2 stereo outs to Mesa 295
Mesa 295 out to Mesa 4x12 Recto cab Stereo

Woe - that is wicked! I love the wall to wall dials!

Makes me wish I snagged that Mesa Amp Switcher I came across once - not too common here in Aus!

---------------------------
Triaxis -> 2:90 -> Recto Quad Slant Cab
Dual Recto 2ch -> Recto Quad Slant Cab
Mark IIC+ (1x12)
Quad preamp
Subway Rocket Reverb
FX? I use pedals w/ Rocktron Patchmate: Nanoverb, MXR Phasor90, MXR Flanger...
Rocktron All-Access foot controller
Wife/kids have: RAT->Roland JC77, Marshall JMP1...

That is a thing of beauty. My ultimate rig is going to have to have two quads.

Without knowing the details of wiring up a setup like that, would it be possible to do something similar with one of these or do you really need to have the amp switcher and two gcx switchers?

http://www.rjmmusic.com/rackgizmo.php

Current gear:

Quad Preamp
TC GMajor 2
Peavey Classic 50/50 (stock sovtek tubes)
Mesa Recto Straight 4x12 Cab V30's

Previous gear:
Peavey Rockmaster
Peavey Classic 50/50 (groove tubes, sounded better than sovtek's)
Mesa 50/50 Power amp

The HGAS amp switcher has the correct iso transformers to keep the set up free of unwanted ground loop hum. I can route various preamps through it an take one mono output and send it to an FX processor and then stereo outs to amp left Right.
The GCX are being used for the Quad switching jacks RHY1 RHY2 LD1 LD2 EQ1 EQ2 and the HGAS selection.
I have the voodoolab ground control that works with the GCX and Midi FX so building patches is quite simple.
Any looper switcher should work fine on the quad function jacks.

Latest posts

Back