What am I looking for in a triaxis ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geiri

Reaction score
Hi there dudes and dudettes

I love my mk4 and am looking to move that love affair up to the next level. Namely a triaxis. I'm no fan of the rectifier so what version of the triaxis am I looking for ?

I'm not quite understanding the differences in them versions, phat mod, recto board, recto board non phat etc.

Please help a boogie brother out here since my 40th birthday is coming up and this along with the 20/20 dynawatt are the only things on my wishlist.

Thanks

Geiri

Any version of the Triaxis will be fine...though I do recommend version 2.0 or later just because they have the full MIDI software.

Other than the MIDI thing, the main differences between the different versions of the Triaxis are in just one mode...LD1 Red. LD1 Red had one incarnation that was billed as recto. Other versions had different names. Some people like their LD1 red, some people don't. Whatever. Don't worry about it. Being a Mark IV player, this mode (whatever its flavor) wouldn't have been much interest to you. You'll spend all your time in R1 Green and the three LD2 modes. Everything else is irrelevant.

If you get one, it'll be interesting to see if you like the triaxis better than the Mark IV. I bet you won't. IMHO, there's just something that's not right once you seperate the pre-amp (ie, Triaxis) from your powe-amp (ie, 20/20 or 2:90 or whatever). It just loses a certain feel once they are separate units. I don't know if it is the individual power supplies or what. It just lacks a certain mojo compared to a whole amp. YMMV.

Chip

I went the opposite way. I had a Triaxis and 2:90 and realized that I only used one clean and one lead mode so I went to a Mark IV. I'd just be looking for one in good shape. If it's an older model I'd make sure that it's been in for a checkup recently. Just me.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes well it's either a triaxis or a mkIV/MkV head. But there is nothing out there for me other than the mark tone. I've been through too much trial and error and spent way too much cash on gear. I just know it in my soul that the mark tone is my tone.

The mark V hmmmmmmmmmm.

Yup it is a contender but I feel that I already have a IV and with a triaxis it should be more colours in the sonic pallette. But as I have a few months to make up my mind the V is definatly a contender.

I disagree that the triaxis itself will give you more colors than the Mark V.

What the Triaxis does give you is a rack system. A rack system can certainly have more colors than a basic amp. Most significantly, a rack system lets you go stereo. But, in a band situation, you never hear the stereo, so it's a moot point, IMO.

If we're not talking about effects, however, I think that the Mark V will give you more colors. For example, the Channel 2 edge and crunch modes on the Mark V are not present anywhere on the Triaxis. A lot of people really like the Channel 2 crunch on the Mark V.

And, the clean modes are (arguably) more versatile on the Mark V. The ability of the Mark V to switch down to lower power modes will give you options to get power amp distortion much more easily than the 2:90 power or (I believe) a 20/20.

Just something to think about...

Chip

Don't get me wrong.

Got nothing but respect and awe for the V. But with all these modes none footswitchable despite all it's bells and whistles it really is just a three channel amp. Not that I use more than the three on my IV but being a markaholic what if I would like to have, say 6 shades of the same sound at the touch of a button ?

Well the triaxis wins that one :wink: on the other hand tho, I rarely leave the lead channel of the IV.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, maby a V head ain't a bad idea after all :lol:

chipaudette said:

There is no objective truth to this statement. It is simply your opinion. I believe the Triaxis has more distinct modes than the Mark V does. Not necessarily better, but more of them. Do you think the designers of the Triaxis went and made a preamp with 8 modes that weren't different from each other?
The Triaxis does give you is a rack system. A rack system can certainly have more colors than a basic amp. Most significantly, a rack system lets you go stereo. But, in a band situation, you never hear the stereo, so it's a moot point, IMO.
If we're not talking about effects, however, I think that the Mark V will give you more colors. For example, the Channel 2 edge and crunch modes on the Mark V are not present anywhere on the Triaxis. A lot of people really like the Channel 2 crunch on the Mark V.

You downplay the aspect of the rack system a bit there. The ability to connect many pieces of gear via MIDI gives a virtually unlimited palette of sounds. No matter how you use a Mark V, you won't get anywhere near the flexibility of a Triaxis in a rack. The use of effects is enormously important in customizing your sounds - even if only used very subtely. If you want a lot of tone colours, the Mark V will hold you back because you will be hampered by its 3 channel design. It's a great amp but that is something you can't avoid.
And, the clean modes are (arguably) more versatile on the Mark V. The ability of the Mark V to switch down to lower power modes will give you options to get power amp distortion much more easily than the 2:90 power or (I believe) a 20/20.
Chip
Ever used a 2:90? It has a half drive mode which breaks up much earlier, it also has deep and modern modes which are switchable via the Triaxis, which yield quite different characters, so what you said there is objectively false.

The Mark V is a great amp for what it is, but you shouldn't be pumping it up for things it doesn't do. It might have a variety of sounds in it, but it is still a 3 channel amp and you need to select the modes you are going to run with. There are 3 basic sounds you can access at any given time. By contrast, you have instant access to any of the Triaxis' 8 modes at any time, plus you have the same access to the 3 modes of the 2:90. Not only that, but you can easily link any other piece of MIDI gear and sync them all up together. In terms of variety and flexibility, there is simply no contest.

I won't argue the sound quality issue because I believe it's too subjective. It depends what you need though. If you find you need lots of sounds and the the ability to control them in real time via MIDI, you might be willing to accept a few compromises on pure sound quality just to have the variety. I don't claim the the Triaxis is the best sounding amp on the planet, but it gives me the versatility I need that I couldn't get from a standard 3 channel amp.

Also, I am curious as to why you are pushing the Mark V in the rack gear section?

Hi Ando,

Actually the original poster (OP) brought up the Mark V as an option in one of his follow-up posts. I didn't. I thought that he was very sensible for having alternatives to consider. It's never useful to ask for help without presenting alternatives. It really sets the context for how one is formulating a decision.

Also, is it forbidden that non-rack gear is sometimes the better option...even on the "rack pieces" board? The poster asked a question and we all provide our opinion. For a person (like the OP) who doesn't appear to currently have any rack gear, it is important that he know the trade-offs and that rack gear isn't always the right choice.

As for "objective" truth...well, we could argue that back and forth all day. For example, the Mark V has 9 pre-amp modes while the Triaxis only has 8 modes. Objectively, doesn't that make the Mark V more flexible? Isn't 9 more than 8? Isn't that a silly way for me to reply? IMO, it's not a line of discussion that is helpful because it would take forever for us to agree on what are the criteria for "objective". And that is a far less fun discussion than about the amps themselves. Let's talk about amps!

So, back to amps...

If the OP is interested in effects and if he is interested in live-switching via MIDI, a rack system based around a Triaxis is way more flexible. No doubt. But, the OP never mentioned effects or live-switching as criteria. In fact, he sounds like he's a bit money constrained (if $2K for a new amp can be considered "constrained"). If he goes the rack route, it's another very serious investment in $$$ to get a good MIDI footcontroller as well as the glorious effects units that make a rack system such an awe-inspiring monster. That can be a lot of dough on top of the money already spent on the Triaxis and power amp. Since he's asking about this in the context of a birthday gift and not of a whole new lifestyle, I think that the single expenditure of a Mark V might be better for him.

Also, with ~$2K, he can get a brand new Mark V, with warranty. Or, he could get a used triaxis (no warranty) and a new 20/20 (with warranty). A new amp with warranty often beats getting a 10-15 year old Triaxis off eBay that might be in an uncertain state of repair.

Oh, Geiri, here's a new thought...

What I'd really suggest, if you're looking for different colors, is to keep your Mark IV and then get a totally different amp. Switching from a MarkIV to a Triaxis or a to Mark V is just playing around at the edges. Instead, make a big jump! Maybe a Dual Rec (Tremoverb?) or a Marshall (gasp). If you want different colors and aren't playing out live, that's the way to do it...totally different amps will give totally different tones.

As always, just my opinion.

Chip
(owner of a Triaxis/2:90 since 1995)

ando said:
chipaudette said:

There is no objective truth to this statement. It is simply your opinion. I believe the Triaxis has more distinct modes than the Mark V does. Not necessarily better, but more of them. Do you think the designers of the Triaxis went and made a preamp with 8 modes that weren't different from each other?
The Triaxis does give you is a rack system. A rack system can certainly have more colors than a basic amp. Most significantly, a rack system lets you go stereo. But, in a band situation, you never hear the stereo, so it's a moot point, IMO.

You downplay the aspect of the rack system a bit there. The ability to connect many pieces of gear via MIDI gives a virtually unlimited palette of sounds. No matter how you use a Mark V, you won't get anywhere near the flexibility of a Triaxis in a rack. The use of effects is enormously important in customizing your sounds - even if only used very subtely. If you want a lot of tone colours, the Mark V will hold you back because you will be hampered by its 3 channel design. It's a great amp but that is something you can't avoid.
Chip
Ever used a 2:90? It has a half drive mode which breaks up much earlier, it also has deep and modern modes which are switchable via the Triaxis, which yield quite different characters, so what you said there is objectively false.

The Mark V is a great amp for what it is, but you shouldn't be pumping it up for things it doesn't do. It might have a variety of sounds in it, but it is still a 3 channel amp and you need to select the modes you are going to run with. There are 3 basic sounds you can access at any given time. By contrast, you have instant access to any of the Triaxis' 8 modes at any time, plus you have the same access to the 3 modes of the 2:90. Not only that, but you can easily link any other piece of MIDI gear and sync them all up together. In terms of variety and flexibility, there is simply no contest.

I won't argue the sound quality issue because I believe it's too subjective. It depends what you need though. If you find you need lots of sounds and the the ability to control them in real time via MIDI, you might be willing to accept a few compromises on pure sound quality just to have the variety. I don't claim the the Triaxis is the best sounding amp on the planet, but it gives me the versatility I need that I couldn't get from a standard 3 channel amp.

Also, I am curious as to why you are pushing the Mark V in the rack gear section?

perfectly said!

chipaudette said:
Hi Ando,

As for "objective" truth...well, we could argue that back and forth all day. For example, the Mark V has 9 pre-amp modes while the Triaxis only has 8 modes. Objectively, doesn't that make the Mark V more flexible? Isn't 9 more than 8? Isn't that a silly way for me to reply? IMO, it's not a line of discussion that is helpful because it would take forever for us to agree on what are the criteria for "objective". And that is a far less fun discussion than about the amps themselves. Let's talk about amps!

Chip

i disagree. while the mark v has 9 modes compared to the triaxis with 8 modes the major difference is this when playing live......with a midi foot pedal you have instant access to any of the 8 different modes of the triaxis via saved patches. with the mark v you have access to any 3 modes at a time.....and that's it unless you physically walk over to the amp when you are playing live and switch from one mode to the other on that specific channel.

over the years when I have played live I have used nearly every mode on the triaxis for something at one time or an other. i have never used a piece of gear that has been more flexible than the triaxis.

chipaudette said:

What the Triaxis does give you is a rack system. A rack system can certainly have more colors than a basic amp. Most significantly, a rack system lets you go stereo. But, in a band situation, you never hear the stereo, so it's a moot point, IMO.

Chip

i respectfully disagree here as well. the band i play in runs a stereo PA and when I use my triaxis rig I mic the left and right side of my cabs to have the full stereo effect and it works great.

outside of that I have been invovled with multiple shows over the years where alot of what the audience was hearing was stage volume from amps and bass rigs....or certainly a big portion of the sound was that......and in those times even with a mono PA having my stereo rig always allowed me to have a huge, lush and thick sound in comparison to other folks......so having the ability to run in stereo was a big selling point to me.

If you're in a band situation where you can run stereo through your PA, that's awesome. Totally awesome.

Do you have another guitarist (or keyboardist) in your band? When you're running stereo, how does your band manage the PA so that there is sonic space for that other person? Is it ever an issue?

Chip

chipaudette said:
Hi :D

Also, is it forbidden that non-rack gear is sometimes the better option...even on the "rack pieces" board? The poster asked a question and we all provide our opinion. For a person (like the OP) who doesn't appear to currently have any rack gear, it is important that he know the trade-offs and that rack gear isn't always the right choice.
No, not forbidden at all, but I feel you understate the massive advantages that MIDI capable gear has. You made it about pure tone, which is one element, but I think it goes a lot further than that.
As Masque said above, it's not ultimately about how many modes the Mark V has, it's about how many modes you can use during a gig. You can't access all the modes on the Mark V quickly and easily. It all has to be done manually and you have the added hassle of having to rejig all the tone controls to dial in your sound. The Triaxis is easy in this regard. You can recall any amp/mode setting you ever had with the push of a footswitch.

So, back to amps...

If the OP is interested in effects and if he is interested in live-switching via MIDI, a rack system based around a Triaxis is way more flexible. No doubt. But, the OP never mentioned effects or live-switching as criteria.
In fact, he sounds like he's a bit money constrained (if $2K for a new amp can be considered "constrained"). If he goes the rack route, it's another very serious investment in $$$ to get a good MIDI footcontroller as well as the glorious effects units that make a rack system such an awe-inspiring monster. That can be a lot of dough on top of the money already spent on the Triaxis and power amp. Since he's asking about this in the context of a birthday gift and not of a whole new lifestyle, I think that the single expenditure of a Mark V might be better for him.

I'd say it's almost a given that anybody entertaining a rack based setup is interested in more than a few stock standard sounds - if that were the case, then yes, a Mark V would be perfectly sufficient. I'm reading between the lines here, but I am fairly sure he is after a lot more than that. Personally, I can't believe people can even get through a gig with a 3 channel amp. I find I use at least 8-10 standard sounds in any gig.

Re: expense. For sure, a decent rack is a major investment. But I have played for years using a very minimal rack setup. One pre-amp, one poweramp, one effects unit, simple foot controller, single cab. Didn't cost that much more than a Mark V combo. I have better gear now, but back then, it was a very versatile, yet simple setup. People who run a Mark V with a lot of effects gear also end up investing in a lot of the same gear - loop switchers, MIDI pedals, amp channel switchers, rack effects. Quality gear is always pricey.

Also, with ~$2K, he can get a brand new Mark V, with warranty. Or, he could get a used triaxis (no warranty) and a new 20/20 (with warranty). A new amp with warranty often beats getting a 10-15 year old Triaxis off eBay that might be in an uncertain state of repair.

You may be right there. I'm not arguing the economics of these amps, just the technical capabilities. Having said that, I bought my used Triaxis and 2:90 on eBay and have had very little trouble with them after an initial $50 service. Cost me $1350 for both, including a Ground Control pedal. Not bad, I say.

Oh, Geiri, here's a new thought...What I'd really suggest, if you're looking for different colors, is to keep your Mark IV and then get a totally different amp. Switching from a MarkIV to a Triaxis or a to Mark V is just playing around at the edges. Instead, make a big jump! Maybe a Dual Rec (Tremoverb?) or a Marshall (gasp). If you want different colors and aren't playing out live, that's the way to do it...totally different amps will give totally different tones.
Another reason I wouldn't be suggesting a Mark V. He already has a Mark IV - close enough, I think. If that wasn't sufficient, a Mark V isn't going to get him there.

As always, just my opinion.
Absolutely. Don't think I resent your opinion giving - I'm just offering my own rebuttal based on my own reasoning and opinion. No hassle.

This being the case, I'm a little surprised that you seemed unfamiliar with the various switchable modes on your 2:90! :wink:

Cheers,
Andy

chipaudette said:

I couldn't disagree more. With delays, chorus, flanges, etc. stereo adds HUGE amounts of depth to your stage presence and dimension.

chipaudette said:
If you're in a band situation where you can run stereo through your PA, that's awesome. Totally awesome.

Do you have another guitarist (or keyboardist) in your band? When you're running stereo, how does your band manage the PA so that there is sonic space for that other person? Is it ever an issue?

Chip

we have no issues sonically.....i am a studio owner and I pay close attention to how all of sounds blend......as a result, I dont try to take up parts of the sonic spectrum that belong to the bass player or kick drum.....my sound is not thin at all but it sits in the mix real well with even another guitar player involved.

but here's the thing....even if I am in a positon where the PA is mono I have found that in nearly all cases that part of what the audience hears is a combination of your stage volume and yoru rig comign through the mains......so even if the PA is mono many people in the audience still benefit from the stereo effect coming from the stage....at least i know I do!!! :D

Thank you for your replies and let's keep it peacful.

You have all brought something good to the table and you are all right in your own way. I've had a few good amps since I started this journey. Jmp1, engl, stilletto, f-50, fender, mk IV, and a couple of rectifiers.

It's just the mark voice I'm after.

The V in my opinion is a brilliant three channel amp and despite all it's modes and options that is still just what it is a three channel amp.

My initial plan was to build a portable rig with out sacrificing the mark voice. It was mainly for home/studio use but I did not want to exclude the live playing option.

The reason I'm not quite sold on the V is the lack of control, that is between modes on a footswitch. It annoys me to hell and back that the IV and 2cplus are on the same channel.

But if I were to buy something for home use only I would not hesitate to take a V.

My initial plan was to get a triaxis and use it through the effects loop on my IV to get a feel for it and to see if I wanted to go all the way and add a 2:90. But in reality for the venues I play a 20/20 dyna is sufficient.

Having a IV kinda makes it not worth it to shell out for a V. If I could have the two modes on channel three accessable via the footswitch I'd be sold on it in a heartbeat.

And in all honesty I don't need another amp, it's just that my mk IV is a very early version a and it would cost me around $ 800 if I needed to send it to mesa for an overhaul, and that's just the shipping cost.

There apparantly are no good mesa techs here in Iceland.

And since I got the IV I've been gasless for gear and that can't be healthy :wink:

When I had my last rack it was very simple and efficient. A jmp1, a 9100 marshall poweramp and a roland effects unit. I got the job done and then some. The downside was it weighed a ton.

So please lets keep this dialogue going and who knows, maby well find the answer to the unanswered question of which is better rack or everything else :D

Geiri said:
Thank you for your replies and let's keep it peacful.

Lol, you think this was an aggressive discussion? You mustn't have been on enough forums. This was as tame as a pussy cat. :wink:
When I had my last rack it was very simple and efficient. A jmp1, a 9100 marshall poweramp and a roland effects unit. I got the job done and then some. The downside was it weighed a ton.
Very similar to the rack I used for years. I upgraded to Mesa to get the Mark tones and searing leads that the Marshall couldn't do.

So please lets keep this dialogue going and who knows, maby well find the answer to the unanswered question of which is better rack or everything else :D

To be honest, I think we've already outlined the issues involved. All that remains is for you to try a Triaxis and see if you like it. For me racks rule. 3 channels doesn't even get me through my tune up routine... :wink:

Latest posts

Back