Upgrading power amp: will I get a jump in quality?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSL

Reaction score
I've always been more about pre amps than power amps, but I think I might try something a little different just to see.

I've got a 50/50 running with a Quad pre. I've read that if I pair the Quad with a better power amp that it'll give me a jump in at least some kind of quality. I've looked around and there are a few options like the 2:90, the 295 and 395. There's also a Strategy 500.

As of right now I'm leaning toward selling off the old trusty 50/50 and trying out a 295. Do you guys think there will be a noticeable jump or difference? I'm quite satisfied with the 50/50, but hey, you never know until you try something else!

Don't overlook the Fryette (VHT) power amps. They do sound really good, if you can find one at a good price it may work out real well for you.
Otherwise for a Mesa, the 290/295 are pretty awesome!
I could not afford another/different power amp so I modified my 50-50 to take el34's and changed the voicing of the 2 channels from each other,so it sounds like I run 2 different amps.
Good luck! :D

you could just go with the colosseum 300 power amp. its like the power amp of the colosseum mark amps, so its like a higher wattage 2:90 :twisted: there is one on ebay for a high price.

If you can find one of these and pair it with a triaxis you will never be sorry you did -

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

THTH said:
If you can find one of these and pair it with a triaxis you will never be sorry you did -

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

theres one on Ebay for $1,500 :arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Coliseum-Three-Hundred-300-Tube-Power-Amp-/250644228244?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b8f6894#ht_519wt_913

Roadifier said:
theres one on Ebay for $1,500 :arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Coliseum-Three-Hundred-300-Tube-Power-Amp-/250644228244?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b8f6894#ht_519wt_913

That's what the amp cost new when in production. I've used one with my Triaxis since 1998 and it is a great setup in stereo with 4 X 12 cabs. Can be used at normal talking volume or ungodly drown the drummer and entire band volume. Uses 6l6 or El34's with bias switch and can be switched by the Triaxis into Deep, Modern, and/or Half Drive. Around 200 watts of power per side. Really good if you like John Sykes tone. Beautiful.

Roadifier said:
you could just go with the colosseum 300 power amp. its like the power amp of the colosseum mark amps, so its like a higher wattage 2:90 :twisted: there is one on ebay for a high price.
Not sure where you got that from.

I think you are confusing the name "Coliseum" with the Coliseum Mark-III heads. They have nothing to do with each other (of course, except for the fact that they are made by Mesa).

The Coliseum 300 power amp is essentially two power sections from Triple Rectifiers.

You can read about the Coliseum 300 power amp here.

zeeman

zeeman said:
Roadifier said:

I think you are confusing the name "Coliseum" with the Coliseum Mark-III heads. They have nothing to do with each other (of course, except for the fact that they are made by Mesa).

The Coliseum 300 power amp is essentially two power sections from Triple Rectifiers.

zeeman

Sorry :oops:
I was reading some review about it somewhere and the person said it was just like the power section of the 2:90 and mark amps but higher wattage.
sorry for giving false information.

~Zach

Roadifier said:
zeeman said:
Roadifier said:

zeeman

Why would anyone absolutely need that much power? It just doesn't make sense.

Roadifier said:
Sorry :oops:
I was reading some review about it somewhere and the person said it was just like the power section of the 2:90 and mark amps but higher wattage.
sorry for giving false information.

~Zach
LOL, I would not worry about it. After all, everything you read on the internet is true - right? :wink: :D

MesaGod666 said:
Are you sure that you are a guitar player? A "real" guitar play would never say that it is too loud. LOL! :mrgreen:

zeeman

Has anyone tried running a Quad Pre with a 20/20 power amp ?
I'm currently using a 50/50 loaded with EL34's but i've never tried a 20/20 with my Quad Pre and wondering what that would sound like for 80's rock tones.

MesaGod666 said:

That's what some players have said to me until they hear it. It has so much headroom that the bottom end sound is huge at volume. Also one never need fear the frequent egomaniac players that constantly turn up their volume during a jam to drown others out. This power amp dominates. Period.

strategy 500 or 395, just keep looking they come up, best sounding power amp with the Quad preamp, perfect match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back