Help with Quad Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilstar

Reaction score
hello,

i am looking for help from someone who has or knows a mesa quad preamp with the onboard midi section,
i want to use my boss gt8 to access the 4 different channels of the quad but unsure how to store/save channels to gt8
im sure it can be done, otherwise why would it have onboard midi

using quad pre and strategy 500

any help would be appreciated thank you neil

hey,

I just got a midi quad with an abacus. with that setup, #1, and 3 are rhy 1 and lead 1. #2 and 4 are rhy. 2 lead 2. Then #5 and 7 and 6 and 8 are the same, but with the EQ on. Also if you take a patch cable, you can engage two channels at once. with my setup (abacus) it can't be programmed... they are already set.

I'm using my quad with a 2:90 that i'v had for like 16 years, and a digitech gsp 2101. i haven't used all 3 together yet, but the quad sounds great so far.

let me know what you think of yours!

scott

hey hello, sorry for taking so long to reply, i been overseas for the last 6 weeks,

will certainly be glad to chat about quad preamp, think i need some help, hopefully u can help,

guitar, boss gt8, quad preamp, strategy 500 poweramp, 2 quad boxes

midi switching the Quad via the boss gt8 worked out the same as what u said,
patch 1 is rhythm 1, patch 2 is rhythm 2, patch 3 is lead 1, patch 4 is lead 2, and if i bank up 1, its exactly the same with the EQ on

sound is absolutely massive, extremely powerful, it has certainly brought the strategy 500 to life, a match made in heaven i think, certainly a big difference than the triaxis ive been trying to use,

this is what i been doing so far, plugging guitar straight into quad then directly into power amp then into speaker boxes, beautiful sound just like that, extremely clean, using only the gt8 to control channel switching via a midi cable, no fx

but what i want to do is somehow use the some of the gt8 effects such as WAH, COMPRESSION, maybe a little extra OVERDRIVE b4 the signal goes into the Quad preamp, then use other gt8 effects such as CHORUS, DELAYS, REVERB after the preamp,

im really not sure which way to connect it all together, i have tried a few, but i havnt quite worked it out yet, if u have any ideas on connecting Quad pre, Boss Gt8, and power amp, so i can get more versatility with effects and all 4 channels of the quad, please help

any thoughts or suggestions with connections, would be much appreciated,

cheers neil

hey,

welcome back! What cabinets are you using? It does sound awesome. it's so loud too... can barely get the quad output to 2.

Anyway, i think if you want to use the GT-8 b4 the quad, go from guitar into GT-8, into quad, into strategy. doing this i think you can make the first 8 presets on your GT-8 with the effects you want. this pattern of 8 keeps repeating, so you can program all those presets om the GT-8... i think if you bank up even further you might engage two quad channels at once... like lead 1 lead 2 at same time, or rhy 1 rhy 2 same time... pretty cool trick.

i have a digitech gsp 2101 preamp that i want to do what you want with your GT-8, but haven't got it working yet. maybe a tube problem. im thinking of running them in stereo... 2:90 A channel with the quad and 2:90 B channel with the 2101.

did you get the quad manual? if not you can get it off the boogie website.

you can also try the FX loop, but you may need to change the "line/level" switch in the back of quad.

or can even run the output of quad into the GT-8 then into the strategy. it describes this in the manual.

if its easy, try your quad and triaxis in stereo, see if you can get some killer tones. how did you use your previous rig?

let me know if you try any of these out,

scott

Latest posts

Back