Triaxis life

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkinghands

Reaction score
Hi,
I read a few user reviews about the Triaxis and had a few people mentioned that this preamp's life is approx. 10 yrs and after that it either fails or dies. Huh?? That's pretty worrisome! I have Boss stompboxes from around '81-82 that still works perfectly today. So what does it mean? Tube failure? Circuiltry board issue? Anyone here owns one that's more than 10 yrs old? I asked this cos there are a few at ebay that has very low serial nos. but what's the point if it'll die after 10 yrs.
Also, is the non phat mod version more desirable?

Thanks,
V

talkinghands said:
Hi,
I read a few user reviews about the Triaxis and had a few people mentioned that this preamp's life is approx. 10 yrs and after that it either fails or dies. Huh?? That's pretty worrisome! I have Boss stompboxes from around '81-82 that still works perfectly today. So what does it mean? Tube failure? Circuiltry board issue? Anyone here owns one that's more than 10 yrs old? I asked this cos there are a few at ebay that has very low serial nos. but what's the point if it'll die after 10 yrs.
Also, is the non phat mod version more desirable?

Thanks,
V
Sounds like a big load of crap to me. How long a piece of gear lasts has more to do with how well it's treated and whether it is kept in good working order. It's reasonable to expect that some things might have to be serviced or replaced at some point, but that is true of many amps. I know lots of people who have a Triaxis from the early 90's that is still going strong. Mine is about 15 years old too. Doesn't seem to have a problem.

talkinghands said:
is the non phat mod version more desirable?
It's "fat" and yes, that circuit is more like a real Rectifier than with the fat mod which is more like an unusable piece of crap.

I wouldn't worry about that made-up 10 year rule, ando's right, it's all about how you treat it.

Remember we are talking about Boogie made equipment! Each piece is built to last, think of the all Mark IIC+s (and older Boogie amps) still floating around and melting ears! I have two triaxis preamps which are about 18+ years old and they are still going strong (knock on wood!!) So yeah that is not really an accurate assessment, I also agree with the previous post about the life of the amp, it all depends on how well/bad you treat your gear...

Also in regards to the phat mod, it really depends on how you view the Recto. I personally hate the sound of the Recto but I would also agree if you want your Triaxis to sound like a real Recto then the mod is for you. The Recto modes I have on both my Triaxis amps are the non Phat version and they sound absolutely terrible, but then again I never use those modes so it's not an issue for me.

Danimal said:
talkinghands said:
is the non phat mod version more desirable?
It's "fat" and yes, that circuit is more like a real Rectifier than with the fat mod which is more like an unusable piece of crap.

I wouldn't worry about that made-up 10 year rule, ando's right, it's all about how you treat it.

Hey Danimal, I changed my signature because I could see that this "phat" thing really irritates you! :D

ando said:
Hey Danimal, I changed my signature because I could see that this "phat" thing really irritates you! :D
LOL, thanks. I'm not sure where this "phat" nonsense came from but setting aside the fact that it's spelled properly as "fat" just as far as English is concerned, Mesa themsleves consistently spell it that way as well.
Greenevil said:
if you want your Triaxis to sound like a real Recto then the mod is for you. The Recto modes I have on both my Triaxis amps are the non Phat version and they sound absolutely terrible
You sure? I think this is the reverse as the fat mod sounds 100% nothing like a Rectifier, or any sound anyone would ever want to use.

Yeah I'm totally going to disagree with them only lasting 10 years. If it were true that would mean any Triaxis made before 2000 is not worth buying! lol

Thanks guys. That was worthy info. I will certainly get one some time in the summer. This preamp is really consuming me. I'm prettyexcited about it. Getting this will complete my 4 space rack and be enough. I hope...

V

mine is 11 years old and my buddies triaxis is 12 years old and we both have experienced normal maintenance issues and nothing significant with our units.

Back