Pre amp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariissexy

Reaction score
I've heard so much about the tung-sol pre amp tubes, and i've never been satisfied with the 3/4 channels on my roadster. I've decided to go ahead give these tubes a try. I'm not experienced in how the the different tube positions shape sound for each particular channel.
If someone could give recommendations on what tubes to use in the different positions. I'll try and describe what sounds i'm trying to achieve in each channel.

So i'm looking to have a very chimy-bell like clean channel with no break up. for my 2 channel i like to have a lot of reverb with some distortion (think of the verse in deftones-change) for my 3 channel i'm looking an aggressive rhythm (think 10 Years "paralyzing kings" or "the autumn effect". And for my 4th channel i'm looking for a killswitch engage sound.

Thanks in advance from a tech nub.

I'm guessing by the fact you have 4 channels that you're working with a roadster. You should be able to hit all those sounds you want with what you've got. Changing out to Tung-sols might only make a very small difference, some people wouldn't even notice the difference, but experimentation never hurts. Just remember Mesas have a very powerful EQ section. All the knobs interact and effect each other. Try settings you wouldn't normally with other amps. The more preamp gain you use, the less bass you'll need. The more treble you use the less the bass has effect.

The Tung-sols are usually just used for V1 to improve the clean channel. I didn't notice a massive difference in my Recto when I had a TS in there.

I don't do a lot of tube rolling, so take my opinion for what it is.

For the dirt channels, the compression comes really late in the circuit. V3 is stiffer and bold by maximizing headroom. V4 is more mushy and softly compressed by reducing headroom. V3 will change only Ch3 and Ch4. V4 affects the power amp for all channels.

The power tubes are another area to look at. They're meant to be clear, but a little fluffy on the bottom. Brands can vary on their characteristics. For power tubes with a more direct sound, the Sovteks and EHX are more firm and mid focused. I like my cheaper, Ruby tubes, because I get a lot of bottom and they select 28 ma tubes for Rectos to change the character. I like big bottoms and character.

Back