Speaker for Mark V:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthlight

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on this forum. However I'm not new to Boogies, having previously been the happy owner of a Mark IIC combo (boy, do I regret getting rid of that one), Triaxis/2:90, 22 Caliber combo, V-Twin pedal, 20-20 power amp, and more recently, an Electra-Dyne 112. The ED was lovely in every regard except for one thing - it was punishingly heavy, and not being a youngster any more, I hurt my back a few times lugging it up and down stairs. I reluctantly sold it and I have just bought a lovely lightweight Mark V:25 head.

So, my first question is: I'm looking for some guidance as to what speaker to pair with the Mark V:25. I'm looking at a 112 format and don't mind going down the custom cab road. I really like EV12Ls, but they are way heavy (and loud), so looking for a lighter option.

The sounds I use are more vintage than modern - I set channel 1 of the Mark V:25 in the 'Clean' mode for a Blackface type of clean, and channel 2 in the 'Mark IV' mode for a vintage plexi-style mid crunch.

I've already decided against Celestion V30s as I find them a bit honky/nasal-y in the midrange.

My second, and related question is: there are a number of Mesa 1x12 cabs with C90s in them - what are the main differences between them sound-wise?

Thanks.

Earthlight said:
So, my first question is: I'm looking for some guidance as to what speaker to pair with the Mark V:25. I'm looking at a 112 format and don't mind going down the custom cab road. I really like EV12Ls, but they are way heavy (and loud), so looking for a lighter option.

The sounds I use are more vintage than modern - I set channel 1 of the Mark V:25 in the 'Clean' mode for a Blackface type of clean, and channel 2 in the 'Mark IV' mode for a vintage plexi-style mid crunch.

I've already decided against Celestion V30s as I find them a bit honky/nasal-y in the midrange.

My second, and related question is: there are a number of Mesa 1x12 cabs with C90s in them - what are the main differences between them sound-wise?

Thanks.

1) I agree with the Greenback route, particularily if you're already going for a Plexi kind of vibe. As a bonus they're lighter and less efficient and more classic than modern. I'm pretty sure Mesa will load a cab with a G12M-25 upon request.

2) - Widebody (23") open back - more mids, less top/bottom. Better sound dispersion due to open back design. Doesn't thump like a closed back.

- Widebody (23") front ported - more top/bottom. More thump. Tends to beam sound forward. The bass port makes the cab sound big for a 1x12, but can sound a touch artificial if you're standing close to it.

- 27" rear ported - basically the matching extension cab for your old ED combo. It's a 1x12 that's the size of a 2x12 and has a fuller response than the 23" wide cabs. The rear port gives the cab closed back style thump with open back type sound dispersion.

screamingdaisy said:
Earthlight said:

Thanks.

1) I agree with the Greenback route, particularily if you're already going for a Plexi kind of vibe. As a bonus they're lighter and less efficient and more classic than modern. I'm pretty sure Mesa will load a cab with a G12M-25 upon request.

2) - Widebody (23") open back - more mids, less top/bottom. Better sound dispersion due to open back design. Doesn't thump like a closed back.

- Widebody (23") front ported - more top/bottom. More thump. Tends to beam sound forward. The bass port makes the cab sound big for a 1x12, but can sound a touch artificial if you're standing close to it.

- 27" rear ported - basically the matching extension cab for your old ED combo. It's a 1x12 that's the size of a 2x12 and has a fuller response than the 23" wide cabs. The rear port gives the cab closed back style thump with open back type sound dispersion.

We only offer the Greenback in 16ohm. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back