UPDATED: Nomad 45 : Power tubes do not turn "on" and heat up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgh

Reaction score
I played through my Mesa Nomad 45 for a while Saturday after work. The amp played fine - no issues at all. After church on Sunday I decided to play some more. The amp powered up (lights came on and so forth), but nothing came out of the speaker. I looked around back, and the EL84s did not seem to be "on" (can't think of a better word to describe it). They were still cold - not warm like you would expect. All 4 of them were cold.

I powered down the amp and checked the fuse - it looks okay.

I am sort of stymied here.

Any idea as to what to look for before I decide to take it to a tech? (Maybe I am having a brain cramp and am overlooking the obvious).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I took a break at lunch at fired the amp up. Now it's working like it should. Could the issue be this: I have the amp plugged into the same wall outlet as I have a 110 AC window unit plugged into. Could it be an issue where the amp was not getting enough/sufficient juice and simply could not completely power up?

I would expect the lights to dim and breaker to trip before one sees such voltage drop on a circuit so as to not give the amp the minimum power required for sound. However; it is possible.

bgh said:
EDIT: I took a break at lunch at fired the amp up. Now it's working like it should. Could the issue be this: I have the amp plugged into the same wall outlet as I have a 110 AC window unit plugged into. Could it be an issue where the amp was not getting enough/sufficient juice and simply could not completely power up?

You definitely do not want to use the same outlet as a major appliance in the future. If your problem doesn't come back you may be okay, but if it were me i'd still have someone look at it and make sure everything is in order.

Latest posts

Back