My next Boogie!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardn10

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a Mesa fan and have owned a few through the years. My favorites have been the Rectifier series for the massive, huge tone, but never found the one that really fit me. The Reborn Dual Rec was the closest. Finally I had BFG Amplification mod my 2001 Dual Rec to dial in some British characteristics and now I love it. Sounds like a Marshall and Mesa marriage, although the Modern modes were kept mostly stock except some added clarity.

Now, I want another Mesa, even though I have been looking at Orange amps like the OR100 and a few Marshalls like the Vintage Modern and Satriani JVM.

I tend to like huge, fat tones, regardless of genre of music. I have used a Dual Rec on classic rock gigs. Sounds fatter than Marshall.

What about a stock Tremoverb? Of the clips I have heard and bands I have see, Tremoverbs and Rectoverbs have really impressed me!

Let me know what you all think? Mostly I play some classic rock, lots of 90s and 2000s music. Hard rock, rock, pop and grunge.

Thanks!

A Boogie with huge, fat tone? There's only one answer to your quandary: Electradyne. 75%Blackface/25% Vox on the clean channel, vintage Marshall-esque on Vintage Lo, modded JCM800-esque on Vintage Hi, but bigger sounding. 70's vibe.

Hollis said:
A Boogie with huge, fat tone? There's only one answer to your quandary: Electradyne. 75%Blackface/25% Vox on the clean channel, vintage Marshall-esque on Vintage Lo, modded JCM800-esque on Vintage Hi, but bigger sounding. 70's vibe.

+1

Thanks guys! That is on my top 3 list! However, I think my 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva may be too similar.

Electradyne is definitely worth checking out, sure. And so is a Tremoverb. But they are very different from each other...

It would be easier to give you a recommendation if we had a bit more information. You say what kind of sound you like - but you don't say why you are looking to buy a new amp. What's wrong with your current amp? Or are you happy with it? Do you want a different sound? Or are you just looking for something as close to your current amp as possible?

LesPaul70 said:
Electradyne is definitely worth checking out, sure. And so is a Tremoverb. But they are very different from each other...

It would be easier to give you a recommendation if we had a bit more information. You say what kind of sound you like - but you don't say why you are looking to buy a new amp. What's wrong with your current amp? Or are you happy with it? Do you want a different sound? Or are you just looking for something as close to your current amp as possible?

Hey bro! Thanks! I will have some extra money this summer and I want to add another flavor to my collection. I play a lot of classic rock, 90s rock/hard rock/metal, to modern rock and pop. I tend to like darker, fatter, ultra thick tones, chewy, if you will! :)

I like having different amps and tones to inspire me.

Current amps are modified Dual Rec, PWE Event Horizon (very Marshall Super Lead with a modern touch) and 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva. I am also looking outside Mesa at Orange and Fryette amps.

Thanks!

Ok, some thoughts.

First, in the Mesa family alone, you have lots of options. And many of them can sound fatter/darker than the average Marshall. It really depends on how far you are willing to wander from your current sound palette.

If you wish to stay in the Recto line, the Tremoverb is an amp you will want to check out. It has got that classic 1990s Recto growl but can also do better cleans and semi-cleans than other Rectos from the same era. Just try to find a head rather than a combo. The 2x12 combo is insanely heavy!
If you want a slightly more modern sound and even more versatility, and have the budget for it, a Roadster is the amp to look for. Or a Road King, which gives you a couple more options (IMO the only one that is significant for your tone, though, is Progressive Linkage, which allows you to mix EL34/6L6 sound on a per-channel basis). But it is much more expensive, bigger and heavier than a Roadster. Again, look for a head rather than a combo - your spine will thank me for this piece of advice.
Note that a Tremoverb and a Roadster/Road King will sound different from each other (and your current Recto). Slightly different flavors of the standard Recto tone. You should try them before you make up your mind and see which matches your taste the best.
These would be the two main options in the Recto line to consider. (IMHO, a Rectoverb has very little to offer over what you already have, so I would skip it.)

If you want something more different from the Recto style sound, the Electradyne, as mentioned, fits the bill nicely. Killer sound in a deceptively simple package - it's actually more versatile than it looks like. Again - you guessed it - a head+cab is the way to go, an Electradyne combo will kill your back.

If you want something even more different, the next stop would be the Mark series. The current production model, Mark V, offers great versatility, very nice cleans, lots of traditional Mark-style high gain, and also British-voiced crunch modes on channel two. It will accept EL34s to make the make British modes even more convincing. Strong midrange, focused, cuts through. But it will still sound bigger, darker and more evenly voiced than a Marshall.
However, some people feel that the Mark V is a slightly too modern-sounding amp and falls short on delivering the classic Mark-series sound. If you share this concern, you could check out Mark III and Mark IV - you can get killer deals on them, and they're really great amps. They will deliver the classic Mark-series crunch even if they lack some of the sonic options of the newer Mark V.
A Mark series combo will weigh more than you'd expect when you look at it but it is nowhere as heavy as a 2x12 Tremoverb/Roadster/Road King. Still, if the weight issue could be a showstopper for you, just get the head version.

Hope this helps.

Not a big fan of the Mark V, I thought my PWE, modded Dual Rec and Shiva, plus the SigX I borrowed, were all much better sounding than the Mark V. I find the Mark V sounds too narrow. In comparison, I find most British amps sound fatter and wider. I played an Orange Thunderverb next to the MkV and it sounded bigger and smoother.

I may grab a used Orange RV or OR and a used Electra Dyne. I love the simplicity of the ED and the huge tone. I prefer amps with very little tweaking and I love amps that are responsive and feel very alive and dynamic.

I could really see picking up a used Royal Atlantic head and either another Splawn 412 with Greenbacks or a Port City 212OS. Either that or an Orange RV or OR.

boardn10 said:
Not a big fan of the Mark V, I thought my PWE, modded Dual Rec and Shiva, plus the SigX I borrowed, were all much better sounding than the Mark V. I find the Mark V sounds too narrow. In comparison, I find most British amps sound fatter and wider. I played an Orange Thunderverb next to the MkV and it sounded bigger and smoother.

Oh, I can perfectly dig that. Some people do indeed feel that the V sounds too dry or stiff and they want an amp that sounds more 'saturated' (or however they put it). And I can see that you would get those kinds of sounds more easily from an Orange or even a Shiva. This helps narrow down the list of amps a bit, and yes, I too am starting to suspect that, for the Mesa lines, an Electra Dyne would be more up your alley than a Mark amp.

As for British amps, the Orange Rockerverb is a great amp you should check out. (I actually prefer it to some of their current models.) I came very close to buying one five years ago and still occasionally regret I didn't. It can dish out this awesome dark and saturated sound, a bit like a Recto but distinctly British nonetheless. I believe you would like it.

Thanks brother! I am on the fence between the Orange RV 50 MK II and the Mesa Royal Atlantic. This may be the last amp I buy for a while. I have enough to keep me happy for years. I love that the PWE takes pedals like an old Plexi! As good as anything I have played.

Any thoughts on the Marshall JVM410HJS Satriani? It sounds fantastic. Also the Orange OR100. :)
I also want to check out the Splawn Nitro.
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50+ ??? Thoughts???

The MarkV is amazing, just not for me. I also love the Fryette SigX and think about it often. What an amp.

When it comes to tones, I tend to be more of a 90s guy and a classic hard rock guy and not much of an 80s guy any longer even though I cut my teeth in the late 80s. I am a big 90s guy; love the rock, hard rock and grunge from that era.

Thanks!

LesPaul70 said:
boardn10 said:

Oh, I can perfectly dig that. Some people do indeed feel that the V sounds too dry or stiff and they want an amp that sounds more 'saturated' (or however they put it). And I can see that you would get those kinds of sounds more easily from an Orange or even a Shiva. This helps narrow down the list of amps a bit, and yes, I too am starting to suspect that, for the Mesa lines, an Electra Dyne would be more up your alley than a Mark amp.

As for British amps, the Orange Rockerverb is a great amp you should check out. (I actually prefer it to some of their current models.) I came very close to buying one five years ago and still occasionally regret I didn't. It can dish out this awesome dark and saturated sound, a bit like a Recto but distinctly British nonetheless. I believe you would like it.

Since you asked - I have used a JVM410, the regular model, not the Satriani sig model. What I think...it's a great amp and a beast of a versatility machine...as long as you don't expect the classic vintage Marshall crunch. It just doesn't do that. It's a lot more modern sounding amp in general. If you want the vintage Marshall sound, get a vintage Marsall.

Also, skip the Mesa Express. Doesn't really fit your bill.

LesPaul70 said:
Since you asked - I have used a JVM410, the regular model, not the Satriani sig model. What I think...it's a great amp and a beast of a versatility machine...as long as you don't expect the classic vintage Marshall crunch. It just doesn't do that. It's a lot more modern sounding amp in general. If you want the vintage Marshall sound, get a vintage Marsall.

Also, skip the Mesa Express. Doesn't really fit your bill.

Hi....I have checked out an older JVM, and the Satriani is a monster in comparison. Dude, check one out. The Satriani is essentially a boutique amp.

The Marshall Vintage Modern seems pretty sweet! :)

I love my PWE, but I am honestly thinking of selling it and going for the Royal Atlantic and a new Marshall or Mesa cabinet. :)
Otherwise, the Fryette Sig:X.

LesPaul70 said:
Ok, some thoughts.

First, in the Mesa family alone, you have lots of options. And many of them can sound fatter/darker than the average Marshall. It really depends on how far you are willing to wander from your current sound palette.

If you wish to stay in the Recto line, the Tremoverb is an amp you will want to check out. It has got that classic 1990s Recto growl but can also do better cleans and semi-cleans than other Rectos from the same era. Just try to find a head rather than a combo. The 2x12 combo is insanely heavy!
If you want a slightly more modern sound and even more versatility, and have the budget for it, a Roadster is the amp to look for. Or a Road King, which gives you a couple more options (IMO the only one that is significant for your tone, though, is Progressive Linkage, which allows you to mix EL34/6L6 sound on a per-channel basis). But it is much more expensive, bigger and heavier than a Roadster. Again, look for a head rather than a combo - your spine will thank me for this piece of advice.
Note that a Tremoverb and a Roadster/Road King will sound different from each other (and your current Recto). Slightly different flavors of the standard Recto tone. You should try them before you make up your mind and see which matches your taste the best.
These would be the two main options in the Recto line to consider. (IMHO, a Rectoverb has very little to offer over what you already have, so I would skip it.)

If you want something more different from the Recto style sound, the Electradyne, as mentioned, fits the bill nicely. Killer sound in a deceptively simple package - it's actually more versatile than it looks like. Again - you guessed it - a head+cab is the way to go, an Electradyne combo will kill your back.

If you want something even more different, the next stop would be the Mark series. The current production model, Mark V, offers great versatility, very nice cleans, lots of traditional Mark-style high gain, and also British-voiced crunch modes on channel two. It will accept EL34s to make the make British modes even more convincing. Strong midrange, focused, cuts through. But it will still sound bigger, darker and more evenly voiced than a Marshall.
However, some people feel that the Mark V is a slightly too modern-sounding amp and falls short on delivering the classic Mark-series sound. If you share this concern, you could check out Mark III and Mark IV - you can get killer deals on them, and they're really great amps. They will deliver the classic Mark-series crunch even if they lack some of the sonic options of the newer Mark V.
A Mark series combo will weigh more than you'd expect when you look at it but it is nowhere as heavy as a 2x12 Tremoverb/Roadster/Road King. Still, if the weight issue could be a showstopper for you, just get the head version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the help! I pretty much have it down to the Multi Watt Dual Rec, Mark V or Tremoverb. I hate tweaking amps so that scares me away from the Mk V. I think I could do just fine with another DR, like the TOV or the Reborn DR....but a bare bones simple Electra Dyne is tempting as hell! I can't afford another amp till late summer, so I have time. :)

Thanks!

I own a Electra Dyne and an Orange Dark Terror and I A/B them. This gives me the best of both worlds.

Run them together?? Look the F out!! They sound amazing together.

I run the DT through a 2x12 Recto Cab with V30's and the ED through a 1x2 Mesa cab with a Shadow.

I need to record some clips and I think most would be blown away on how good they sound. They really get chewy when I run a Flux Drive in front of them..

Good luck.

Stiletto Deuce stage II head.
Incredible sound, versatility and good price. It's really underrated amp. A lot of sound options in 2 channels

Latest posts

Back