Need Maverick power tube replacement help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Platko

Reaction score
It's power tube replacement time for my Maverick.

Do I need to use Mesa boogie tubes?

Will two sets of matched pairs work or do I need a quad set?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

i put a matched quad set of JJ's in mine,
not everyones choice i know but money was an issue so went with them. they're absolutely fine for me, the amp sounds just as good as it did with mesa tubes.

JJ's hummed a little in mine. If you get em from Eurotube they said to be matched up well to Mesa amps. Also 6 month warrenty. Four tubes were 40 bucks plus shipping, how much I don't remember. Mesa tubes 60 bucks a set and 15 more to ship. Also 6 month warrenty I beleive. Eurotube will sell a quad set Mesa sells two pair, I guess there is not a differance.

I've heard that JJ tubes are an improvement over Mesa's. I put them in a DC-3 and can say they made no difference to my ear, and I didn't keep them in the Maverick.

You'll hear a lot about bias adjustments. Mesa brand tubes are all within proper range for there amps and so bias adjustment is not nessessary. Eurotube says this too, tell em on the phone what you need. I've seen both these brands "redplate" that is glowing cherry red, not the normal yellow light from inside. This is a bum tube, replace it before it blows. Whatever tube you use always look for this when you first put them in.

Have fun with it.

Thanks for the help folks. GC seems to have a sale on Mesa EL84s so I think I'll pick up some of
those when I get a chance to get there. For some crazy reason it costs a silly amount to ship them.
The people at GC blamed Mesaboogie for that.

I called Mesa and they told me the pairing. Outside tubes are a pair and inside tubes are a pair.

I'm still not sure what to make of the biasing issue, that is, could it really be a problem if I
didn't buy Mesa tubes. I understand that some other tubes work fine but will any paired EL84s
be a problem in a Maverick?

Biasing tubes can be a debate, you'll hear all kinds of opinions on it. Check Mesa'a website, I think there is an article on there as it pertains to there amps.

In a nutshell, you could say that the bias is the temperature that the tube is operating at. You'd think a tube is a tube just like a lightbulb is a lightbulb, but no, different tubes can operate differently in the same circuit. Mesa tubes are measured and tested to fit there circuits.

Problem is, that if its too cold it sounds bad, if its too hot it blows itself and maybe some of the amp too. Again, so when you change em check to see if they glow red, even new Mesa'a can do this.

Latest posts

Back