Hurricane Coming... Precautions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulguy32

Reaction score
Well, I've been sitting here for a few hours for Sandy to hit central NJ, where I live. When my power goes out, temperatures go down, and humidity goes up, what should I do? I know temperatures too low or too high can be really bad for equipment. At night, lately, it's been dropping down to the 30s. It's not usual we get hurricanes here, so I would just like to ask what I should do to not only protect my amp, but my gear in general. Does anyone have any recommendation of some sort?

I've seen guitars and amps withstand -30 but that being said, all axes in their cases and covers on your amps.
Put the cases flat on the ground so they cannot get knocked over.

YellowJacket said:
I've seen guitars and amps withstand -30 but that being said, all axes in their cases and covers on your amps.
Put the cases flat on the ground so they cannot get knocked over.

Will do! :mrgreen:

YellowJacket said:
I'm **Curious** about how bad this hurricane is. Are we talking about Sandy? Perhaps make sure all gear is wrapped in sealed plastic?

Yep, it's Sandy. My gear was all in a corner room, and a few trees have actually fallen. The storm isn't even that bad in my area yet! Right now, it's all wind. We're supposed to get 90 mile per hour winds, and lots of rain.

I've moved my gear into my dining room, which is in a more central area of the house. I put a blanket over my amps, due to the fact that it'll be 30-40 % in my house with the power out. I also have my guitars in the cases. All of my gear is in a relatively safe place for now. The plastic is unnecessary... :p

My house is up on a small hill, so I don't have to worry about my gear floating down the river that will be my street. However, my house has had water come inside, so I just want my gear to be safe so that if the water does come in, I've moved everything into a safer place.

YellowJacket said:
How did this go? We got some strong winds up here and sheets of rain at one point. It's just damp and grey weather now!

Well, my gear survived! Just a few guitar strings broke out of nowhere somehow! I'm at my school right now, where there is power and wifi. I still don't have power, which means no amps... :(

As far as damage, I didn't get hit too bad, but NYC and the Jersey Shore were pretty bad. New York City was flooded, and the shore was flooded and flattened (almost)... so, I'm lucky I only lost power! Though, most of my neighborhood has had power for two days. I'm still stuck without it...

Back