Road King Overkill: Yay or Nay?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaulguy32

Reaction score
Well, I recently bought one, and had a few people say that it was overkill. I do a lot of channel switching. I think the four channels are perfect for what I'm doing.For me, sometimes during a clean solo, it's good to switch to a more crunchy tone. Plus, sometimes a more broken up clean (channel II) is more fit for my taste. I say the amp is kickass, and sounds great too! I would jut like to know what others think. So, what's it gonna be?

Not Overkill.

It's always nice to have all those options.. and if it's not to somebodies taste they can go for the Roadster or Dual Rec.

Congratz on a great amp! ..or should i say 'amps' :p

It all depends on the individual. Personally didn't need the extra features on the Road King II, so I went with the Roadster instead... 8)

KH Guitar Freak said:
It all depends on the individual. Personally didn't need the extra features on the Road King II, so I went with the Roadster instead... 8)
+1

I didn't see me using the Cabinet Switching, and I didn't think the upcharge to a RK was worth it for just the Progressive Linkage. With the money I saved from buying the Roadster I bought more toys!

elvis said:
It's overkill and you should be ashamed of yourself. Your only option is to sell the amp to me at half-price.
LOL

Dom

Well, I can say the cabinet switching is something I didn't need, but I do like the progressive linkage, as there is a noticeable tone difference. Thanks for your input, guys. I really appreciate it.

LOL elvis, man...

Rock on :D \m/

Overkill? Not if you use it.

I went with a Roadster as I didn't have a lot of use for the cabinet switching and second effects loop, and although I'd like to be able to play around with progressive linkage I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it seeing as I prefer the way Rectos sound with 6L6s. Still, if you use it then it was worth it.

KH Guitar Freak said:

+3

If you need and actually do make use of all it's capable of, then it's not overkill for you. I never touched cab switching, CH 2 and 3, prog linkage and I got tired of how big/heavy the head was. So def depends on the person.

Yea, well I got the combo, which for me wasn't as bad as I thought. The casters really help move the amp around. I also live in a single level house. I'm so very glad I got it. Plus, it sounds KILLER! :D

i have a RKii combo. while i don't use everything it has to offer all the time, i do tend to change the way i use it over time. i'm happy with the options it offers.

I think every Mesa is overkill which is why I love them. I also think its better to have too many tonal options than not enough.

Given To Fly said:
I think every Mesa is overkill which is why I love them. I also think its better to have too many tonal options than not enough.

I agree, man... I like customization... which is why I love Mesa... :D

wezzley said:
i have a RKii combo. while i don't use everything it has to offer all the time, i do tend to change the way i use it over time. i'm happy with the options it offers.

Agreed :D

This amp has been called "the best amp ever made" for a reason. The twiking possibilities are so great and it sounds so good, nothing beats it.

I started just be liking the sound, after a while a "overkilled it " even more with twp yellow sockets. Then I started using the effect loops. OMG, what a difference.

I understand why blues purists are usind Blackfaces, and that Mark V is a milestone. But for somebody who didn't have a technician and has gigs, this is the amp that will make your life easier. You can get almost any tone.
And is called "the best amp ever made" :)

Jack1 said:
This amp has been called "the best amp ever made" for a reason. The twiking possibilities are so great and it sounds so good, nothing beats it.

I started just be liking the sound, after a while a "overkilled it " even more with twp yellow sockets. Then I started using the effect loops. OMG, what a difference.

I understand why blues purists are usind Blackfaces, and that Mark V is a milestone. But for somebody who didn't have a technician and has gigs, this is the amp that will make your life easier. You can get almost any tone.
And is called "the best amp ever made" :)

I must say, it lives up to it's name! :D

That is really subjective. For me my RKII was overkill. Some cool stuff going on but to be honest, when I A/B'ed it to my other rectifiers, the RKII was instantly deemed unnecessary to me.

Once the honeymoon was over for the coolness of tube tracking and such, it's still a rectifier with only so many tones in it. However, if you need 4 different channels and reverb, I'd suggest the Roadster. But the RKII is just overkill...cool, but overkill.

Back