Hmm...which Rectifier to get...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greglockard1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a Mesa Boogie in a few months, and to be honest, I'm kind of stuck between two amps: the single and dual rectifier. Honestly, if I could, I'd be at my guitar shop right now A/Bing them both to find out which sounds better to me, and suits my needs. Problem is, they both aren't available at any nearby guitar shop. If I were to buy one now however, I'd have my local guitar shop order the amp from Mesa Boogie personally, and I'd get it there, along with a Mesa horizontal 2x12 cab. I can't just have them buy both heads, just so I can find out which one's best. It's alot of money wasted for them.

That's why I came here. There's a reason I chose a rectifier. Growing up (I'm 20, by the way), I loved Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Creed, Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc. Still do. I love the rectifier tones. It's always been the sound in my head that all guitarists should hear. I'm gearing more towards Killswitch Engage's "As Daylight Dies" and "End of Heartache" tone, because they're my all time favorite artist. Metallica being right next to them.

I've done my research. I know all about how the dual rectifiers from the 90's seem to sound the best out of them all. The three channel dual rectifiers sound great, but not quite as good as the older 2ch rectifiers. The new multi watt dual rectifiers sound closer to the old 90's rectifiers, and are also slightly brighter and more modern.

Wattage and volume isn't an issue for me for two reasons: since the single rectifier is 50 watts, and the new multi watt dual rectifier can switch to that same wattage, it doesn't matter. Since I'm getting a 2x12 horizontal cabinet, the volumes aren't going to be quite as loud as the 4x12 anyway. I'm also using this cab because I'm not playing any shows right now, and spend most of my time playing at home. It'd be nice to be able to have a loud enough amplifier, if I really needed it though, but I don't want to have to deal with the "tube amp headroom" issue at home.

So here's my question. With everything said and done, which one would suit my needs better, and get me a nice Killswitch Engage/Metallica tone? A single or multi watt dual rectifier?

That's a tough one. If you're not gigging and you mostly playing at home, I would suggest getting a mini-rec. I have a Lonestar Classic for years and I just got a roadster I keep them on 50 watts and those things sound awesome at live gigging volumes. We turn down at practice and I'm barely getting the tone that those things are capable of getting. It's still loud as hell. The mini-rec still gets loud enough to gig with.

With that said, it sounds like your mind is made up. If you can find a used single or dual rec locally on craigslist maybe you can try it out. You may not be able to compare them, but at least you'll be happy with the sound you're getting.

Thank you for the reply and recommendation. I have been thinking about a mini-rec, but you're right. My mind is already set on the bigger siblings that are the single and dual rectifiers. I feel that the mini-rec may be a little bit barebones for me, and won't give me the versatility and power I'm looking for in a rectifier. I appreciate it, though. I may consider the Craigslist thing too, and hopefully there'll be some in my area.

Out of the two though, what would you recommend for the tones I had suggested? Or do you think there wouldn't be much of a difference in the sound?

The Single Recto doesn't have all the features of the Dual Recto (bold/spongy and tube/diode rectification options). It also has a switching lag that drives some people up the wall.

Long story short, unless there's a financial reason for getting a used Single I'd get one of the new multi-watt Duals. The ability to use one channel on tube rectification and another on diode rectification is a pretty important feature for me.

I will leave that question in hands of more competent individuals on the forum. I've played the 3 channel DR's and they sounds like rectifiers through and through. They are probably more versatile, but I can't compare it to a single. I would go for versatility but there's a lot of good advice from all the guys here. I'm sure someone has had both and can offer a fair comparison. I know there's nothing more gut wrenching that shelling out a ton of cash for an amp and hoping that you picked the right one. I just went through it with my Roadster. Good luck.

screamingdaisy said:
The Single Recto doesn't have all the features of the Dual Recto (bold/spongy and tube/diode rectification options). It also has a switching lag that drives some people up the wall.

Long story short, unless there's a financial reason for getting a used Single I'd get one of the new multi-watt Duals. The ability to use one channel on tube rectification and another on diode rectification is a pretty important feature for me.

See what I mean. Screamingdaisy pushed me to buy the Roadster...peer pressure.

You can do what some others have done, if you really want to go crazy, that is...

Buy one of each, at a cheap price, compare them, and keep the one you like. Sell the ones you didn't like for the same price you paid. That's how I ended up with my rig. I know a few others here that have owned up to 20 rectos (I think Monstatone?)

Also, take note that the bands you're describing have two different tones. Metallica is all about the tight gain of the Mark series, whereas Killswitch, LP, Creed, etc is about the thicker chunky gain of the Recto. You can approximate Metallica tones on a Recto with tight pickups and an overdrive pedal, but it won't be exactly the same as what you can get with a Mark.

I apologize Elpelotero. When I said Metallica tone, I meant more along the lines of the Load/Reload albums, and St. Anger as well. Love those tones. I'm just not sure if the same amp that they use is the one that Killswitch used as well. You think the multi watt dual rectifiers would easily get both?

And Knotts, thank you. I'm glad you and I both feel that way. I've had my share of bad purchases, and want to make the right choice.

Screamingdaisy, now that you mentioned it, I had almost forgot that the Single rec was discontinued. That's quite the game changer. I'm usually not a fan of buying used amps either, as I don't know their history. It seems the multi watt dual rec is becoming more and more of a buy for me.

Multiwatt rectos are very versatile and can do many tones as well as the 'huge' mile wide modern rhythm. They're also bright and tight (for a recto) which is another selling point. Don't forget the clean tone, that is also awesome!!!

If I was to buy a new recto, I'd get the reborn.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I have considered the 90's era dual rectifiers for the tones I want, but wasn't sure if I wanted a recto that's almost twenty years old. It could end up being a constant trip to the repair shop. Of course, alot of amazing amps have lasted 40-50 years, but I'd rather not take my chances. The single rectifier sounded cool too, but I had little to no idea that they were out of production. Since you have to buy them used now, and they're not quite as versatile and/or decent sounding as the old-school rectos, they're almost out of the question, unless I find something on the net that blows my mind about them. They aren't exactly the most popular type of rectos, as some of you may know, so finding some meaty info on them was tough. From the sound of it so far, I'd likely be most happy with the multi watt dual rectifier, due to it's versatility and (from what I hear) it's closer to the 90's sound than the older three channel amps. I'll make another thread in the upcoming months on what I end up buying. For now, I'm saving up some cash :)

depends on what you're playing. if your a sodded metalhead like me, you'll only play any recto with diode (SS) rectification and bold setting. so the options on a dual rect just won't matter as you'll probably never use them. my main live rig is a 3 chan dual rec but my fav rectifier is the original single rectifier (has the footswitch input on the front next to the guitar input). I've had a few of them now. something about those amps were just amazing to my ears

Hello there !

It seems to me that you really have done your research about the Rectifier amps in this forum, and that's a good thing!!!

However, IMO, you should really try to test at least one of them to see if thats your thing.... I live in Brazil, and belive me, Mesa amps are really really hard to find here, so for a long time I had to rely in YT videos and product reviews before I got the chance to play one myself.... I strongly suggest that if you need to drive 100 miles to test one, it is definetly worthy.

I relate to you when you say you like the Metallica, Creed, LP tones but if you have never played a Single or Dual Recto, it wont really make a difference to you, specially if you just play in your home .... go play other tube heads like 5150, Fender, marshalls, bogner, whatever you can, and then when you have the chance to play a RECTO, you will know it is worth every peny !

Thats my tip for you!!! If you dont want to do this and money is not an issue to you, just go with the Dual recto Reborn and live happily ever after !!!

Back