Suggestions for a new amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
My main amp is a lonestar classic. Overall I'm very happy with it, but one day before a gig, I had a tube go bad and I crossed my fingers that there would be a quick fix. Fortunately a new tube did it and the show went on...

On that note, I want to get an amp to use as a back up and I wanted some feedback. I don't really want to spend $2,000, but If I'm willing to spend $1,000 why not up it a little if the right thing comes along. I was thinking about a mini-rec or a TA-15, but I've been toying with the notion of buying something other than a mesa; possibly a soldano astroverb. I like the soldano's that I've heard, but I get the impression that they are 1 trick ponies and I want something with versatility.

I mostly play blues and classic rock. I love crystal clean tones. I don't play metal, but I wouldn't being able to get some heavy tones from time to time.

Thoughts?

For the money, I think the Fender super sonic 60 and the Express 5:50 would make good backups. For more money, the Electra dyne and Royal Atlantic are both great amps with fantastic clean and drive tones. Are you looking for a head or a combo ?

For me the Ta 15 and MR are a little low on headroom. I have an Express 5:25 which would be comparible in terms of volume (El84 amp rated to 25 watts) and have had to work it to its limits at times when playing live. We don't mike our amps though.

I'm looking for a head. I see myself spending a little more to get a little more. The Electra Dyne really peaks my interest because overall that's how I use my lonestar; single channel. Anyone ever heard a Soldano Lucky 13 amp. I'm curious how that sounds compared to a Dyne?

knotts said:
I mostly play blues and classic rock. I love crystal clean tones. I don't play metal, but I wouldn't being able to get some heavy tones from time to time.

Thoughts?

Try the Electra Dyne, it's great for what you need. The Royal Atlantic is also great but it is a little more feature laden and expensive.

I use a MR as a backup to my Dyne, and also as a heavier-tone amp. It'll do classic rock, blues and clean well, is easy to carry, and is plenty loud. Plus it's a rectifier :twisted:

Back