MESA Signture Model ... ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR

Reaction score
Way back in an interview with Randall Smith the interviewer asked : "So Randall, what's new amp design are you thinking about for the future?"

-- this was before the "lunch pail" amps making the big splash on the market --

Randall Smith answered he was thinking about Signature Model MESAs, say one of their endorser may want a custom made MESA like cutting out some of the "Bells & Whistles" or say "more mids" or whatever, he would produce these amps and market these as a Signature Model.

Am I grasping as straws I read this interview or did I imagine it?

I think a signature model is an idea of last resort - for when you just have nothing new to offer. It would make me sad to see such a thing.

I think that the TA series and the Dyne have created a whole new set of possible tone/feature combinations that could spawn 10 new amp models. And a new Triaxis is overdue.

I would love:
1. A lunchbox Dyne with 6V6 at 22W
2. An amp with the clean and V LO modes of the Dyne plus the Lead channel of the MR, with separate channel controls and power soak like the RA. But NOT super-complicated like a Roadster or RK. I'm tired of having to choose between classic rock and modern rock/metal.

Quite true, if I recall, this interview was conducted right after the success of the Dual Rectifier 'cause the Dual Rectifier was a completely new line of amp to the MESA family. So since then, many new MESA amp lines were introduced.

My signature (hypothetical) MESA would be a Maverick with tone controls of an early Mark (I or II Fender style). Everything I like about the Maverick for my use but don't like the interactive tone controls even though it adds flexibility. I don't really need all the bells & whistles.

Yeah, I too doubt Randall Smith would introduce a Signature Model amp.

Back