Pulled tubes on my Dual Rec... Holy S***!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_meridian

Reaction score
I recently bought a Fender Hot Rod Deville, and it was frustrating the hell out of me how the Deville had such definition and a really dynamic touch, while my rectifier always seemed lifeless and flat sounding. I decided to pull two power tubes to knock the amp down to 50 watts (since the deville is 40) and halved the impedance to 4ohms (running an 8ohm mesa cab).

What a difference. The clean sounds so much more dynamic, and the distortion is very thick and defined. I don't really understand it, because I've had the amp LOUD before, and it never really sounded quite like this before. I always thought sacrificing the extra 50 watts would make my clean tone suffer, but it sounds MUCH better.

Anyway, just posting because I see a lot of threads like "my recto sounds thin" and stuff like that. Everyone should try this before they run out and spend money on new pre amp tubes.

Does anyone else run their dual or triple rectifier like this?

While Im a 50w fan (based on practicality) before you pulled your amp down to 50w were you running it at higher levels?

Honest question, because Ive never pulled an amp down to 50w and thought it actually sounded really THAT much better, besides earlier clipping, I find that I get a slightly brighter sound, thats usually it.

and if you read the post of the single recto VS. dual I give my reasons for picking the 50w, and it isnt exactly because of the power rating)

no soul said:
While Im a 50w fan (based on practicality) before you pulled your amp down to 50w were you running it at higher levels?

Honest question, because Ive never pulled an amp down to 50w and thought it actually sounded really THAT much better, besides earlier clipping, I find that I get a slightly brighter sound, thats usually it.

and if you read the post of the single recto VS. dual I give my reasons for picking the 50w, and it isnt exactly because of the power rating)

I've played lots of outdoor gigs, and a few halls with it cranked- and it still sounded like it wasn't getting any power tube saturation. When I pulled the tubes, it actually seems louder, and sounds MUCH better.

For the record, my settings are:

Clean Channel

Master: 1:00
Gain: 1:00
Presence: 5:00
Treble: 1:30
Middle: 10:00
Bass: 11:30

Channel Two (Vintage)

Master: 2:30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 4:00
Treble: 2:00
Middle: 1:00
Bass: 12:00

Channel Three (Modern)

Master: 12:30
Gain: 1:30
Presence: 10:00
Treble: 12:30
Middle: 11:30
Bass: 11:00

Bold Variac and Diodes

SO, currently, because I blew them, i'm not running the Rectifier tubes in my Dual, but still the 4 output tubes. Which 2 should I pull to try this, and is it safe without the recto tubes in, i'm running it in the silicone diode mode. Also, do I change the speaker output from 8ohm to 4ohm, in the back of the amp, into an 8ohm Mesa cab?

Random Hero said:
SO, currently, because I blew them, i'm not running the Rectifier tubes in my Dual, but still the 4 output tubes. Which 2 should I pull to try this, and is it safe without the recto tubes in, i'm running it in the silicone diode mode. Also, do I change the speaker output from 8ohm to 4ohm, in the back of the amp, into an 8ohm Mesa cab?

How did you blow your rectifier tubes?

You shuold pull either the two outer power tubes, or the two inner; when this is done- the ohm jacks on the back of your head double. So your 16ohm output is a 32, your 8ohm jack is a 16, and the 4ohm jack is a 8ohm jack. If you're running an 8ohm cabinet, you'll plug into the 4ohm jack (because it will really be 8ohms).

Hope this helped.

One of my rectifier tubes shorted I think, which caused a fuse to blow. Pretty annoying. Had to phone Mesa themselves to find the problem, and I have some new Rectifier tubes on their way to me :)

A little update on this- I pulled a rectifier tube when I pulled two power tubes. I just tried using the tube rectifer tonight, instead of the diodes- and the amp made this dying sound (like it was just put on standby). Is it possibly I still need both rectifuer tubes in there?>

A little update on this- I pulled a rectifier tube when I pulled two power tubes. I just tried using the tube rectifer tonight, instead of the diodes- and the amp made this dying sound (like it was just put on standby). Is it possibly I still need both rectifuer tubes in there?>

The rectifier tube that you left in is most likely bad,Try the other one. Silicone diode mode does not require the rectifier tubes from what i understand. When you go half power you pull 1 rectifier tube. I recently had my new(used) dual rec. serviced for this very reason. I ended up having to replace all the power tubes and the rectififier tubes. but the end result is a great sounding amp!

Back