New TransAtlantic: Unbearable Amounts of Hisssssss !!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
I just picked up a new TA. I demo'd the display unit at GC and was quite impressed with all the sounds. In fact I have to admit that it's the best sounding Mesa amp I've come across. So, they give me one that hasn't been out of the box. Take it home...and it doesn't have the same mojo I was hearing in the store. And to makes things worse it has this constant loud hiss which gets amplified to intolerable levels when you go from 5-15-25 watts. I'm about ready to return it...but first looking for feedback from anyone who's experienced this with their new TA and managed to get it resolved

I have the amp and think it is very hissy. The worst for me is clean channel top boost in 15 and 25 watt (with presence pushed in).

The 5 watt modes are very quiet, and the red channel is not so bad. Disappointing for an amp of this prestige.

I took mine back and the shop said it was normal and their floor model was similiar. Ended up keeping it as I got it in a 50/50 part exchange and it's fiddly to sort out.

I love it as a 5 watt amp clean but it's an expensive way to buy 5 watts! My favourite red is Hi-1. Be sure to play around with the bass to get the best sounds. You can bring more bass in on the 15 and 25 watt mode but back it off in 5 watt. Sounds great!

Just a shame about the noisey clean :-(

Disclaimer: I've never even seen a TA-15 yet.

But a question: what cabinet were you using at the shop, and at home? If it wasn't the same type, that could be the answer right there: the cabinet makes a huge difference to the tone, which could explain the lack of 'mojo' - ie it just doesn't sound as good through your cab - and the hiss - some speakers have WAY more top-end response than others, and the stock Mesa speakers (Celestion V30s and Black Shadow 90s) are both quite dark at the top end, so if you were using a Mesa cab in the shop and another one at home, that could be it.

If you were using the same type of cab, please ignore this! Or, you could take the amp back and compare it with the other one, and see if they will swap it for you if the other one is clearly better.

94Tremoverb said:
Disclaimer: I've never even seen a TA-15 yet.

But a question: what cabinet were you using at the shop, and at home? If it wasn't the same type, that could be the answer right there: the cabinet makes a huge difference to the tone, which could explain the lack of 'mojo' - ie it just doesn't sound as good through your cab - and the hiss - some speakers have WAY more top-end response than others, and the stock Mesa speakers (Celestion V30s and Black Shadow 90s) are both quite dark at the top end, so if you were using a Mesa cab in the shop and another one at home, that could be it.

If you were using the same type of cab, please ignore this! Or, you could take the amp back and compare it with the other one, and see if they will swap it for you if the other one is clearly better.

You make excellent points....the cabs/speakers were not the same entirely. I actually don't have a cab at home, but tried it through the cab of my 2x12 LSC (1 C90 - 1 Scumback H75), and to try to replicate the sound of the compact 1x12 Mesa cab at the store I also ran it through my 1x12 MK IV combo cab (w/c90 too)...so while I expected it to sound different through the 2x12, I was surprised that it did not sound that great through the MK IV cab.

Anyway, for the price of $899, this amount of noise is unacceptable....I can't even record with it cuz there's just too much white noise :evil:

I wonder if mine needs preamp tubes replaced, cuz another thing I noticed is that when you put the amp on standby, it let's out a loud hum that dies out slowly. None of my may other Mesa amps I've had did this......Any ideas? Or should I start tube swapping?

I say start tube swapping! That hum from going to stand-by doesn't sound normal to me either.

Well, that was a short lived affair. The TA was returned today, the hiss was just plain unacceptable for the price.....shame cause it has great tone underneath the noise. :x

hm, considered SPAX7's for the preamp? ive read some things around here about that doing more for the noise than you'd expect...

either way, yeah, a mesa shouldnt be unacceptable like that.

so, has mesa made any official comment about the hiss factor?

pick up some spax7 tubes. improved EVERY aspect of my express.

jsabo said:
pick up some spax7 tubes. improved EVERY aspect of my express.

I tried that w/o success....I returned the amp for the 2nd time. I am going to hold out for V2 :mrgreen:

Sorry it didn't work out. For me the "hiss" can be bothersome but I rarely use the amp with both cut and top boost engaged. My amp is dead quiet on 25 watts with top boost on and not using the cut. Hope you find what you are looking for.

This is odd: I've read on these boards that some people have ended up with hissy TransAtlantics, mine is dead quiet in all modes/channels. I have experienced an odd, loud humming noise at one venue I play at, but it is venue specific and when I unplug my pedalboard it goes away.

I would describe the hiss as more of a hum really. In my amp it is only in the 15 and 25 watt modes with both top boost and cut engaged at the same time. Playing at a gig you would never hear it but sitting in a bedroom it is noticable.

I tried the TA-15 along side the Lone Star Classic - The LSC was the same if not noiser. So I think it is just the way it is.

I also now realise that it was probably unfair of me to compare the TA-15 (whose valves operate in class A) against a Fender amp (whose valves operate in class AB).

Hey guys you also need to consider that these are tube amps and that all of them do have a cycle hum that is projected through the speaker.

Roddie

jonmy7 said:
I tried the TA-15 along side the Lone Star Classic - The LSC was the same if not noiser. So I think it is just the way it is.

I also now realise that it was probably unfair of me to compare the TA-15 (whose valves operate in class A) against a Fender amp (whose valves operate in class AB).

Agreed. My TA-15 hisses when volume and tone go up... but not really any more than my other tube amps. In fact, my '79 Marshall JMP makes the Transatlantic seem quiet.

Tube amps are gonna hum. Selecting different components (e.g. carbon comp vs carbon film vs metal fil resistors), for example, can make a difference. I haven't looked under the hood, but if they were going for vintage tone and feel, they might have sacrificed quiet for tone.

axeplyr said:
jonmy7 said:

Agreed. My TA-15 hisses when volume and tone go up... but not really any more than my other tube amps. In fact, my '79 Marshall JMP makes the Transatlantic seem quiet.

Tube amps are gonna hum. Selecting different components (e.g. carbon comp vs carbon film vs metal fil resistors), for example, can make a difference. I haven't looked under the hood, but if they were going for vintage tone and feel, they might have sacrificed quiet for tone.

I realize all of this...I've owned a ton of tube amps....and just about every Mesa model manufactured to date (except for the regular Rectos) -- and the TA-15 and Subway Rockets have been the noisiest (more than what I'd consider acceptable)

I've owne MANY AC30 type amps and they all have a stronger top-end (Dr Z, Vox, TopHat, Black Cat, Winfield, ect...)...

All amps make noise at idle, except when they have a noise gate... This hiss is just the added top-end of the preamp coming through the speakers. Every single one of my AC30/AC15 amps has had that same hiss. I think it just takes time to get used to it, and since the TA is a more "top-end" based tone compared to most Boogies that are "darker" amps (like Boogies tend to be) it's just more noticable.

Thats my $.02 worth

Jason

I am beginning to the the 5 watt setting so so quiet, it makes the 15 and 25 seem LOUD!!! :roll:

Honestly I do not even hear it anymore

Latest posts

Back