The Mesa amps I currently own are...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
...what? Everyone here knows I rotate my backups amps like crazy to try different things and I've owned over 100 Mesa amps (not all at once!), including well over 60 Rectos (literally). So, I'm curious as to what Mesa amps you currently own...and I'll probably post to this list quite a bit as I add new stuff... :lol: For me currently, as of 4/5/10:

1992 Mesa Dual Rectifier - Revision C "Blackface" - Previously owned by Allan Holdsworth

The old artist model that Holdsworth said was one of the best amps he's ever heard, used on a few albums? It's this one. Still loaded with whatever tubes his tech had in it back in the day, Ruby's in the power amp and unlabeled preamp tubes he has marked up. They sound great in this amp, so you know my philosophy when the tubes sound good...don't f%#* with it... :mrgreen: Great sounding amp, doesn't suffer from the extreme sub-low problem that made me dislike my other Rev C's so much. I actually use this amp unboosted for the most part.

1994 Mesa Dual Rectifier - Revision G "Blackface" - Loaded in "Pre-500" Chassis with Serial Loop from Factory

My primary workhorse I take to about 99% of the gigs I play. From the outside, you'd swear it was a Revision C or D because it's loaded in a "Pre-500" chassis, which means it also has a serial loop direct from the factory...even though it's an early '94 in the low 3500 serial range. This is one of the rare run that was built into the old chassis' they had, probably the most rare Recto of them all. Loaded with JJ's in the preamp and Sovtek 5881/6L6's in the power amp.

2008 Mesa Lone Star Classic Head Unit

Haven't decided if I'm keeping this yet, it's just filling a niche for me right now. I get in moods where a situational amp comes in handy, and that's the void the Lone Star is filling for me right now.

Both of my Rectos are staying, they both sound great and they're rare to run across. I may add a Mark or Stiletto back into the mix soon, we'll see.

2008 3 Channel Rectifier - FJA Modded

The amp I play in the band and haul around everywhere. My experimental amp if you will. Had just about every brand of
6L6 and EL34 you can imagine in it. Same goes with the preamp section. I have tried LOTS of 12ax7's!!! Bias Mod, Standard Recto Mod, and Push-Pull Gain Boost on Channels 2 and 3. Winged C EL34's in the power section.

1992 "Revision E" Rectifier

My personal Unicorn: often talked about, rarely seen. This amp is without a doubt my baby and the best sounding Recto I have ever heard. It doesnt really care what tubes are in it, it really sounds the same with any combination of Chinese or Russian tubes. Due to the lack of clean channel, it is really like a Monster Truck: you wouldn't want to have to go get groceries in it. Bone stock.

fluff191 said:
Due to the lack of clean channel...

Try this and see if it helps, it's what I do on my C. On Channel 1, set it to "Variable High Gain" instead of "Clean Rhythm." The Clean Rhythm mode is worthless on Rev C- Rev E. Then, clone the Channel 1 to Modern, so set the switch to "Orange to Modern." Back off the gain to an absurdly low level, as in 8:30, maybe 9:00 at the highest (though I'd keep it more in the 8:30-ish range). Crank up the Presence/Treble, keep the Mids/Bass low. Then get the Volume cranking up a little and you should get a usable clean signal from the amp, at least usable if you want to use the amp live. If it's still a little too gritty, turn down the Treble some, but I think you'll be OK in that range. Use your pick attack for dynamics and grit and you should be good to go.

Thank you for the tip, sir. I will try them!

And FWIW, I like a little grit to my cleans and am not looking for Fender tones or anything, but DAYUM I can cover AC/DC without a problem on the clean!!! :lol:

Doesn't help that I use super-hot pickups.

Mark IV .... 12th one made
Tremoverb ..... first run
Trident ..... Series I

I am the original owner of all of them.
I have owned a Mesa since 1982. I miss my II and III sometimes, but I sold them to buy the next Mark as they came out. I have owned a few other Mesa amps but these are the ones I still have.

The amps I use the most these days are ....

THD ~ Series One Plexi (JMP style amp), Bivalve and Flexi 50
Fryette ~ Sig X

stephen sawall said:
The amps I use the most these days are ....

THD ~ Series One Plexi (JMP style amp), Bivalve and Flexi 50
Fryette ~ Sig X

The Sig X is a smokin amp. I have always wanted the Ultra Lead Pitbull.

Well, mine are -

Mark III (no stripe)
After being resurrected this thing screams
.50 Caliber
Another resurrected from the attic Mesa. I have just this past weekend used it with the Mark III via a M13 line 6 going 4CM stereo. The thing is just perfect set to the semi-clean undertone for my heavy handed lead selection on the Mark III
Heartbreaker ver. B
Very sweet. When I do use it it is the only amp for me on stage, which have been many times recently. Of course since change is the only constant in life I may try a three amp setup some time soon.

I use SED 6L6GC and SED EL34 with various 12AX7 based upon need and placement. The EL84s are Mesa's flavor.

Dennis

Single Rec Series II, Tesla EL34's or SED Winged C 6L6 in the power section, Tung Sols up front.

MKV SED Winged C 6L6 or JJ EL34's in the power section, Tung Sols up front.

Today the Rec has 6L6 and the MKV has the EL34's. Slightly different but very complimentary tones....

1984 DRG Mark IIC+
1985 DRG Mark IIC+
2009 Electra Dyne

DSC03468.jpg

DSC04954.jpg

In the past: Mark I, Mark III's, Mark IV's, Triple Rectifier(never again), Stiletto Ace, Lonestar Special, Lonestar Classic.

Would like to hear firsthand with my guitars: Blue Angel, Maverick, Tremoverb, Rev C Dual Rectifier Solo Head (can't grow the balls to buy one without hearing it first, see above about Triple Rectifier). 8)

edited for your viewing pleasure. :lol:

Mark III blue stripe fully loaded short head coupled with a EV loaded thiele and open back EV loaded

my go to amp. never failed on me and been at nasty shittload places and sounded good in all.

Stiletto Deuce series I

my hot-rodded Marshall :mrgreen: . the plexi sound on channes 1's crunch mode is better than most plexis. in a word, awesome.

Blue Angel 2x10" combo Monsta modded

still getting used to her. not your averange Fender clean sound. has way more mids and way less bass. sounds good for arpeggiated tones but is not a twanger. great for blues, she really reacts to your playing. more you dig in, more distortion. loves dynamics.

in the past: caliber 50+s (3), DC-3 (2), triaxis 50/50 set, Mark IIB.

Vigo1999 said:
Stiletto Deuce series I

my hot-rodded Marshall :mrgreen: . the plexi sound on channes 1's crunch mode is better than most plexis. in a word, awesome.

People often overlook the Series I Stiletto, but your assessment is spot on and the same thing I've preached for a while. Channel 1 "Crunch" on the Series I can come close to out Plexi-ing a Plexi. It's the best mode on the amp and worth the price of one used all by itself.

A very early chrome chassis Dual Rec Solo head on a new Stiletto 4*12
Electradyne head on a wide body 3/4 back 1*12 with Celestion Sidewinder
Mk IV on 4*10
Blue Angel 2*10 with Celestion Vintage 10's
Heartbreaker 2*12
Subway Blues combo with 1*12 and 4*8's all Celestion Vintage series.

I really like Randall Smith's take on things.

Back