Electra Dyne Problem.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskyman

Reaction score
OK- first problem:
Just picked up my ED on thursday and went directly to rehearsal, played without incedent all night- love this amp. Friday after work, go home, cant wait to plug in, so I fire it up, then- clean is nice- but no sound in low gain.....or hi gain...
I check all connections (just running straight, nothing in the loop) no problems here.... Same- no sound in low gain or high gain.
So I get into standby, then power on for a second, get a vantage point visually, and I see the pretty purple lightning show in one of the power tubes....Call the dealer and schedule a date for this afternoon- probably just a faulty tube- so I think- NEVER had a problem in ANY Mesa, and this is my 4th.
So, today, bring the amp in and switch out a pair of tubes. Same purple light show in in the tube in45 watt mode. Another set of tubes, different color set- same. One last set of tubes, and then for giggles, check
in 90 watt mode- purple lightshow in ALL power tubes.
Needless to say, amp isn't coming home today- NO IDEA what is going on, gotta wait till Monday to find out. Trouble is, there isn't another Mesa I want- I want the Dyne.....anyone have an idea just what is going on? This F's up my weekend hard...

Sorry to hear that bro - that stinks. It stinks anytime you spend almost 2k on a piece of equipment and it breaks down. That said, I am sure Mesa will get it squared away for you. I know how you feel about this amp. I have had gear come and go over the years (I have been playing guitar over 25 years) and have never bonded with any amp the way I have with my Electra Dyne. Good luck and keep us posted.

OK- looks like an issue with tube socket #1- it goes into the shop for an as of yet undetermined amount of time....
sucks.........played a Mark V, a Roadking, and a Lonestar Classic Combo at the store to ease the pain.
Not a one of them is like the Electra Dyne.
Not a one.....
Missin' the amp

Laskyman said:
OK- looks like an issue with tube socket #1- it goes into the shop for an as of yet undetermined amount of time....
sucks.........played a Mark V, a Roadking, and a Lonestar Classic Combo at the store to ease the pain.
Not a one of them is like the Electra Dyne.
Not a one.....
Missin' the amp

Be sure to keep us posted on the outcome.

SSDD-

Amp supposedly "fixed", get it back from the shop to the store, fire it up, same problem, now with "lightning" -not purple glow- in the 4th power tube.
No sound on Hi or Low. Clean sounds like what amps are like in Heaven. Pissed. Shop calls Mesa. Mesa also pissed. Now I get to wait on a "new" amp from Mesa.....
Pissed.
So, owned this amp for 8 days, 7 of which have been in shop-

Sorry you are having such a pain with this amp. I hope when you get the new one all will be fine. The amp has killer tones so I hope it will be worth it in the end!

Considering the issues, you are better off with a new one.

Hope it all works out. I can imagine what a downer this is

Yea man. Sorry for the bad run of luck. FWIW as I am sure you know, this amp is a hidden gem and a keeper indeed. As someone mentioned above, I have been playing about 22 years and I have NEVER IN MY LIFE fell ga ga ape **** head over heels for an amp the way I have for the Dyne...

You'll get a new one. You'll love it. The wait sucks but at least you'll get squared away. Good luck.

Seems like the shop is incompetent. From what you described, there's a bad preamp tube and a bad power tube; really not that difficult to fix and should only take about 5 mins for a full recovery.

Good luck with the new amp!

Seems like the shop is incompetent. From what you described, there's a bad preamp tube and a bad power tube; really not that difficult to fix and should only take about 5 mins for a full recovery

Well, I will give you the shop being incompetent- and it is the warranty house for a TON of different companies- but the bad preamp/power tube ruled out- we checked EVERY preamp and power amp tube- yeah, it *seems* like this should be a no-brainer- but this amp is definately got an issue, which is why Mesa is sending out a new amp. Now, I am scheduled to track next weekend, and really, really wanted to use this amp to lay it down. Dont know what I will be using now, the the studio has a killer Fuchs....

This was never a power tube issue, as you had sound in channel 1.

The purple glow you see in the power tubes is nothing indicative of failure.

I'm sure they'll get you situated.

So the amp worked right the first night you had it?

So the amp worked right the first night you had it?

Yep. Like magic...little tweaking, just pure thick toneful kindness....right out of the box. The 212 should have been here friday, but looks like tomorrow is the day. Mesa contacted me, and are being very cool about the whole episode- they are going to take care of me, and are doing all they can to accomodate.
One thing about Mesa- they understand customer service.

The Dyne uses several relays and Fet's to accomplish the gain stage switching. As a matter of fact the first thing your guitar signal hits is a relay before reaching a tube in either the clean or high/low circuit. The the problem is likely related to a failure in the switching matrix which controls all these relays and muting FET's or a relay itself is defective. And like Phy says the output tubes were working at first. The tube layout is also unique in that the clean channel starts out in V4a and V4b. The high gain ch. is V1a and the low gain ch is V2a. V3 is a cathode follower used only on the high/low channels. The clean channel does not share these tubes with the high/low channel.

Wow, that blows. I've never even heard of purple light coming from tubes before. I mean, heaters, redplating, and blue light in some old Sovtek tubes, but never purple.

And yeah, I played an Electra-Dyne the other day and LOVED it. I love the rich Marshally character of it (much richer than any Marshall I've played recently besides a 1970s JMP) and the expressiveness had me in tone heaven. It's a hell of a thing, and I hope the next one lasts you as long as it needs to.

For such a new amp, the disappointment must be massive! I wonder how is the reliability trend of the new mesas? Been reading posts about Mark V, Electra Dyne issues all over the forum. Hope the quality assurance and quality control for Mesa is on the lookout for these issues. Wonder what percentage of the production amps goes back for warranty repair with trouble found as opposed to "could not duplicate problem."

gummx97 said:
Been reading posts about Mark V, Electra Dyne issues all over the forum.

That's a bit of an exaguration I think.

Aside from a patchchord problem on a footswitch, this is the 1st problem I have read with the ED.

And as far as problems with the Mark V, when you consider the massive number of V's sold, and how many of the threads on issues end up being tubes, I hardly think there is a reliabilty issue.

For such a new amp, the disappointment must be massive! I wonder how is the reliability trend of the new mesas? Been reading posts about Mark V, Electra Dyne issues all over the forum

I have been playing Mesa amps for a while- 5+ years exclusively- and my new ED was the first and only problem I have ever had with any Mesa- and the very first I have heard about with an ED. The disappointment was large, but part of that is due to me being an impatient guy.
Mesa bent over backwards to take care of my situation through communication and follow through- everything they said they would do, they did, and did as fast as it could be done (not their fault the delivery was held up- they shipped on time, and they were on the phone with us in the store as I walked in to demo the 212).
This kind of customer service is not typical of the industry today- and will keep my loyalty to Mesa. They tell you "welcome to the family", and they treated me as family.
I have no reservation about this amp company- and if a problem does come about- I know they will make it right...

let us know what they find, hopefully you live close by for warranty service. i have also good experience with mesa's reliability, thats why i am pretty surprised with all the posts about broken amp. have had 4 mesa's, and only one have issues, and it's the triaxis!! :roll:

Hi there!
Did the problem ever get resolved? Reason I ask is I bought an Electra Dyne last Saturday and the very same problem occured. I would be very grateful to learn the outcome.
Thanks
Lee

Back