Mesa combo amp suggestions......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsisbest

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the board, but It seems like there are alot of knowledgeable people on here. So here's my problem, and any help would be appreciated.

I have just recently sold my older Dual Rectifier head in order to buy an easier to transport tube combo amp. I absolutely loved my Recto, but it was too much to haul around, and setup for small clubs,open mics,opening gigs etc. I am looking to replace it with something that sounds as good. I ran across an F-30 at my local shop for a good price, but I'm afraid that that won't quite cut it to perform with. Yesterday I tried the F-100 which I truly loved(in the music store), but I don't know how that will work performing either,since I've never seen or known anyone who uses the F series. I play modern rock(blink 182,green day,3 days grace,sum 41 etc.) as well as classic rock(AC/DC,Zeppelin,Hendrix,etc.) and need an amp that can handle both types of music, as well as the ocassional Megadeth,Maiden,Metallica jam.

Can anyone suggest a good combo, or tell me if the F series will work for me?

Thanks

If you can swing the $$, nothing can touch the RoadKing for versatility. That said, the F-series are fine-sounding amps and probably well-suited to your application. Recto-verb and Mark4 are also available as combo's.

I was in this same situation a while back, until I decided I could'nt part with my Dual Rec! I would definitely suggest a Rectoverb combo if you can't pony up to a Road King combo.

This is a topic I've been tossing around for a while too... But after trying out a Road King that a friend of mine let me "audition" over the weekend, I decided to keep my head/2x12 setup...... Why?? Because my head weighs around 55 lbs and my cab weighs around 65 lbs and each peice by itself isn't really too heavey to carry up or down a flight of stairs, but the 106 lb Road King was quite a chore to carry in (it had casters, but I couldn't use them in this case and wouldn't be able to in most cases) and this gig was an easy load in compared to several of our other ones. As far as the sound, I didn't even miss my triple recto that night and even forgot that I had a different amp back there because it sounded pretty identical, but the load in and load out is where I noticed the difference. It might be because I'm getting old (I'm 33), but that my thoughts on the situation..

But, all that being said, if thats what your wanting to do is to make your setup easier by getting a combo- then the Road King is the best and most versatile amp out there. It not only has all the recto sounds, but also some great EL34 style sounds (ala Marshall) for your AC/DC and Zep tunes. If thats out of the price range as it is for me, then you might check out the rect-o-verb or trem-o-verb. I don't know if they have as much gain on them, but you can always use a tubescreamer or a V-Twin in front of it. Either way you go with a boogie combo, you could do without an FX unit (in a quick setup situation) because you've got REVERB!!!

prsisbest said:
Hi, I'm new to the board, but It seems like there are alot of knowledgeable people on here. So here's my problem, and any help would be appreciated.

I have just recently sold my older Dual Rectifier head in order to buy an easier to transport tube combo amp. I absolutely loved my Recto, but it was too much to haul around, and setup for small clubs,open mics,opening gigs etc. I am looking to replace it with something that sounds as good. I ran across an F-30 at my local shop for a good price, but I'm afraid that that won't quite cut it to perform with. Yesterday I tried the F-100 which I truly loved(in the music store), but I don't know how that will work performing either,since I've never seen or known anyone who uses the F series. I play modern rock(blink 182,green day,3 days grace,sum 41 etc.) as well as classic rock(AC/DC,Zeppelin,Hendrix,etc.) and need an amp that can handle both types of music, as well as the ocassional Megadeth,Maiden,Metallica jam.

Can anyone suggest a good combo, or tell me if the F series will work for me?

Thanks
I've been using my F-100 2x12 combo for over 2 years through practice and gigs and I've never had a problem. The combo is about 70 lbs, which is manageable, but still a haul. My band is alternative rock so we need everything from sparkling clean to complete meltdown and the F-100 delivers in spades. If you're concerned with transporting the amp, you might look at an F-50 head and 2x12 vertical setup as well, which is very light and portable. There is definitely no problem with volume on the F-100 especially being loaded with 2xVintage 30s. My amp is easily louder than my rhythm guitarist's TSL 100 + 4x12 w/ G12T-75s. Finally, you'll be able to get all the sounds your looking for with no problem. As far as the difference between the dual recto and the F-100, IMO the F-100 has a much better clean channel, not as over-the-top meltdown as the recto but close, and can sound both vintage and modern high gain. I also prefer the thick lead tones on the F-100 which cut through like a knife. Below are my recommended settings for auditioning an F-Series amp. Try them out some time and let me know what you think.

hal9000sF-SeriesAuditionSettings.jpg

I would highly recommend the Mark IV combo. I have owned two now and it is highly versatile amp - you can get sounds from modern, vintage, classic rock and blues. Just need to learn how to tweak it which is not that difficult. I have yet to find a better sounding 3-channel small combo amp.

Lava Man
http://www.lavacable.com

Latest posts

Back