Lonestar Special thru 4x12 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
Hooked my LSS up to my Legacy 4x12 cab with Celestion V30's last night. Man, wall of sound! It was great. I kept the combo's 12'' hooked up and then plugged the 4x12 16ohm cab into the 35watt jack. It was very sweet. :D The tone is so nice on this LSS that I don't want to add any effects. I'm loving it! Don't really want to haul the 4x12 around, however, it's very tempting now.

Hey Kyle - sounds tempting. How 'bout a 4X10 cab - wonder how that would sound? I jsut got a 1X12 LSS combo from a local GC. I can still take it back and order the 4X10 combo...but I like the relativley compact footprint. If I ordered a 4X10 or a 4X12 cab from MB - which line should I order? I play mainly blues related stuff but would like to get into some country and rockabilly sometime. 8)

I ordered the 4x10 Classic cab which is open back but it doesn't arrive until May 23rd. Next purchase will be a LSS head. The 4x10 combo sounds awesome.

Ned

marlon said:
Hey Kyle - sounds tempting. How 'bout a 4X10 cab - wonder how that would sound? I jsut got a 1X12 LSS combo from a local GC. I can still take it back and order the 4X10 combo...but I like the relativley compact footprint. If I ordered a 4X10 or a 4X12 cab from MB - which line should I order? I play mainly blues related stuff but would like to get into some country and rockabilly sometime. 8)

The LS and LSS seems great for blues and roots stuff and 410's should get you a great Tele country twang. All other boogies seem to rely on that modern overdrive sound which isn't very bluesy or vintage sounding.

The 410 combo I heard and played at NAMM got that Eric Johnson violin distortion sound. Oddly the 410 was better at this than the 1x12 or 2x12s.

Ned

Hi Marlon,
IMHO I would hang onto your 1x12 combo. I like the small footprint also. You can always add whatever cab later if you want once you get the chance to try it. It's all in your grove and what you like anyway.....personal taste. You may get a 4x10 and not like it as much or like it more. With due respect to all on this forum, what me or anyone alse says as relating to tone, really doesn't matter when it comes down to it. It's your ears. For example, what shade of blue or red do you like best? I personally like a summer sky blue. I play mostly blues, classic rock and country. Country is so varied...new country, alt country, traditional country....how twangy do you want to get? I like Vince Gill, but on the Crossroads DVD he's playing Rivera with 12's and it sounded great to me. Keith Urban has a row of amps. He may have a 4x10 in there somewhere but I ain't seen one onstage. What they record with, how they eq the mix, yadda yaada yadda makes a huge difference. All of us could probably sit in front of different amps and speaker configs and hear it all different. When I first tried the original Lonestar I didn't like it. A year or two later I tried it again and loved it. Go figure! Forgive my rant. Kinda got on my soapbox there! :)

I may try a 4x10 later, but for now I'm completely satisfied with what I've got. The 4x12 in addition to the 1x12 sounded great to my ears especially with long delays. I already had the 4x12 with my other rig so what the heck. It was a fun experiment. One of the reasons I bought the LSS was to get smaller and more portable, so I doubt if I'll drag the 4x12 around. Where I'll be playing mostly, I'll probably be mic'd anyway. I keep wanting to get bigger. Gotta keep myself in check! :D

Latest posts

Back