Roadking I or II ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson08

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!! So I am missing my Tremoverb and LSS, and it sounds like the RK is the perfect combination of each I have a Recto cab(i know i need a RK cab!!but it will do for now!!) just sitting around waiting for something,,But i know nothing about the different versions, what should I get and what should I stay away from?? I play everything(Paisley to AIC) yes everything, so if you have a better suggestion I would like to hear it or did I pick the right one already??Thanks in advance for the expertise!!

:shock: Are you f'ing kidding me? No question, get version II.

BTW, the RK cab is by far the best cab I've personally played thru. I've had a traditional, a recto, and an Avatar. I stick to RK cabs even for use with other amps like Marshall. Very flexible and kicks butt. I put the same speakers in my Avatar cab (ordered from MB), but it still doesn't sound the same or as good as my RK cabs.

I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and more of what you looking for in tone.

I currently own an RKI and love it to death, I havent played an RKII but i have played the roadster which is suppose to be a striped down RKII.

If RKII's do sound like the roadsters, then it sounds more like the old 2 channel recto's (darker) but not as clear and tight. What i mean by darker is not as much mid's.

Now as the RKI, i have owned 4 and still currently have one that I will not sell. This amp is a mix between a dual recto and a tremoverb, not as much upper mids as the tremoverbs, but still more then the duals.

Other changes between RKI and RKII, the RKII has a better clean, not much better, but it is better, either amp has a great clean though compared to all other rectifiers.

On the RKII the Brit channel was revoiced with added gain. Honestly I have played the roadster, same brit channel and my RKII and I much prefer the Brit channel on my RKI, the RKI ismore towards the british voiced amps we grew up and loves, and with a booster pedal you can get as much gain as the RKII's.

Other differences, RKI has one parallel and one series loop, RKII has two series loops. RKII has a tuner out where the RKI has switched out.

As to cabs, honestly I much prefer a recto traditional cab, i do not really care for the C90's or having a partial open back. I have had the RK cab and unless you are a pro more then likly any place you play will not give you two mic's anyway to mic each side of the cab. So to me it was useless and my traditional cab just sounded so much better!

So it all comes down to taste and what you want

IF the RKII is voices just like the roadster then my vote goes for the RKI. I have played the roadster, one of my good friends has one and I have an RKI. The RKI is more of a mix between a dual rec and a tremoverb, little more upper mid's. The roadster is darker like the old two channel recto's but not as tight and clear.

Other differences.

RKI= 1 series and 1 parallel loop. latch switch on foot controller. i think the brit channel sounds more like the british amps it was set to mimic. With a booster pedal will have as much gain as a RKII Brit channel.

RKII= Slightly better clean channel, brit chanel revoiced with more gain. 2 Series loops, no triode/pent switch for EL34's.

As to cabs, I have owned them all, I much prefer my recto traditional straight front over them all. RK was a nice cab, but just didnt do it for me.

Doing an A/B test between a recto and a RK cab, I found the recto cab was definitely boomy and muddy compared to the RK cab which seemed more defined and "tighter" but still had bottom end for chugs. I returned the recto cab after a few days back and forth. It's personal preference, of course, but if you're getting a RK head, I think the RK cab will be a better match with the head and it is certainly more flexible since you can choose between both speakers or just one (either closed or open back at that). Also, you'll get better cleans as you will with the RK II over the I head. It just seems to be a no-brainer to me. Of course, it depends on your style of music so listen for yourself if you get a chance to A/B them.

**** sorry for all the posts people, kept getting kicked back on me this morning and appearntly they all came through!

Anyway roadking vs recto cab, yes the roadking will be tighter and not as boom. However roadking vs traditional, I will take the traditional any day.

But also depends on type of music, sometimes I like the oversized cab when i am just playing some rythem and dont need the super tightness.

gumbymage said:
Doing an A/B test between a recto and a RK cab, I found the recto cab was definitely boomy and muddy compared to the RK cab which seemed more defined and "tighter" but still had bottom end for chugs. I returned the recto cab after a few days back and forth. It's personal preference, of course, but if you're getting a RK head, I think the RK cab will be a better match with the head and it is certainly more flexible since you can choose between both speakers or just one (either closed or open back at that). Also, you'll get better cleans as you will with the RK II over the I head. It just seems to be a no-brainer to me. Of course, it depends on your style of music so listen for yourself if you get a chance to A/B them.

Thanks for all the response!! i have never used an effects loop, always board in front of the amp(guess just cause its simpler?) and my tuner is on my board so I probably would not use that either, I like the Lonestar clean so it sound like both of them do that, I liked the T-Verb vintage and modern settings, which is closer to that?? Again,Thanks for all the response!!

I have a RKI and the other guitarist in my band has a RKII. IMHO the RKI is a steal on the used market. I will admit that the cleans on the RKII are *slightly* better, but IMHO they are not worth the extra $$. I also don't care for the RKIIs channel 2. The RKI, channel 2 on brit with 2 EL34s and the master cranked is old school classic rock heaven.

The bottom line is this.... I would buy the RKI and spend the extra money you save on some great NOS tubes for the preamp section. I have a set of Tesla ECC83's and the other guitar player in my band uses JJ's. My cleans blow his away, but when he goes to the NOS tubes it is a different story.

Channel 3 & 4 are identical.

As a gigging musician I cannot dismiss the fact that I love the tuner out on the RKII. Killer feature that I definitely wish I had.

I picked my RKI up (new) at Guitar Center after it had been sitting for quite a while for $1800. Even with the NOS tubes I still came out cheaper than a brand new RKII. Everyone goes on and on about the Lone Star cleans in the RKII, and they really are fantastic. But I play about 10% of my gigs on that channel, and I can't live without channel 2. The RKII just doesn't fit my needs. I get fantastic cleans from my RKI, a killer channel 2, and identical 3&4. To me it is a no brainer, the bang for the buck definitely goes to the RKI. If you rely more on a clean channel and don't need the old classic rock tones, then I would go with a Roadster over the RKII.

Remember that this is coming from a guy who spends three nights a week with a RKI and RKII side by side.

Latest posts

Back