Really excited about the Triple Crown Series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to think pretty seriously about flipping my JP-2C for a TC50 head and here's why:

1. I have the JP-2C in large part for the cab clone and the midi switching. The TC50 has got those.
2. The TC50 definitely has a crunch channel, while the the JP-2C does not.
3. My Mark V makes me happier than the JP-2C in both IIC+ and IV modes once I've disabled the fx loop.

As a result of points two and three, my JP-2C is gathering dust.

Compared to my old Electra Dyne (which had a great vintage lo gain)
4. UNLIKE my Electra Dyne, the TC50 is a real three channel amp.
5. The TC50 has an extremely high gain lead channel.
6. The TC50 also has the more forgiving volume profile of the JP-2C than the ED had.

So: crunch channel + midi control + cab clone from the TC-50, epic Mark lead sounds from the Mark V.

This seems pretty straightforward. Probably going to put the 2c on the market and start saving some money.

Yeah, it's hard not to look at this as a way to go.

I am just starting to get used to my JP-2C and still dialing it in. It is very aggressive, good for a modern take on rock, not so good I think for classic crunch. I like the JP way better than the V, and I tend to like aggressive amps, like my Archon and Shiva 20th. So I will not likely flip the JP. It is so tight and focused, though, that it has very little give. It is the tightest amp I have by far. Time will tell if it is TOO tight.

But I find myself VERY interested in the TC50.

Two things that may keep me from buying a TC:
1. 50W. I find that when I switch any of my 100W amps to half-power, even the ones that just turn off output tubes, I don't like the loss of headroom. I really like my amps to have bite and I don't like them slushy.
2. I did not get enough grit from the RA100. If the TC sounds like the RA, It's probably a bit too tame for me. I flipped my RA100 and standard Shiva because they were too smooth.

I, too, must admit I am seriously GASsing for a TC-50. As much as I love my Dyne, it is getting heavier each time I haul it around. I see so many outstanding differences that neither my Dyne nor my RK1 have. PLUS, the thought of using 6V6 tubes literally has me drooling for this gem. I've considered flipping my RK1, but haven't made that final decision yet. No matter what I do, though, I think I owe it to myself to pull the trigger on one of these. If my wife doesn't leave me over all the gear I keep acquiring, I'll be in good shape!

I would recommend playing on it before you sell or buy amps. I played it for about four hours Monday. It sounds and feels great. But I am not selling any of my gear.

Between the different demos, the manual, and the features, I am also excited. I'm not sure when I will be able to get one, but it's definitely going to happen.

I could not resist and bought mine this weekend!
It will arrive tomorrow (Thursday).

I am still in love with the JP-2C though. Best amp ever in my opinion.

I bought my Dyne without ever playing through it first, and that was the best purchase decision I ever made. Yeah, I got lucky, and it exceeded my expectations, so I'm willing to take that gamble with a TC-50. In regards to my RKI, it just collects dust now. I would rather see someone get some good use out of it. One way or another, a TC-50 will wind up in my possession. This is one amp I can't ignore.

sloanthebone said:
Bruceta said:
I could not resist and bought mine this weekend!
It will arrive tomorrow (Thursday).

I am still in love with the JP-2C though. Best amp ever in my opinion.

Now that is cool looking!! Gratz!

Indeed! Thank you very much!

I was very impressed by the youtube demo already. When I saw this finish I could not resist!

50W is very convenient for most of my gigs and rehearsals.
I'll be interested on the TC-100 as well!

Obs.: I still love my RKs!

Question for you Boogie guys.

I play in a modern metal band. Loud drummer, and my other guitarist is using a 120 watt head. I have historically played 5150's, Laney's, Splawn, and VHT all in at least 100 watt configurations.

Should i be worried about the TC-50 washing out at high volumes being that it's "only" 50 watts? I don't want to feel like i have to max out the amp to be dominant in the mix at rehearsal.

I don't think so..... There is very little volume difference between a 50 and 100 watt amp. I take it the other guitar player is not maxing the volume on his amps and the rest of the band all plays about the same volume.

stephen sawall said:
I don't think so..... There is very little volume difference between a 50 and 100 watt amp. I take it the other guitar player is not maxing the volume on his amps and the rest of the band all plays about the same volume.

Correct he is not maxing. I've owned quite a few high gain heads that have 50/100 or 60/120 wattage options. I always prefer the higher watt option when playing with the band as I find it really makes the amp sound bigger and more present in the mix.

The TC-50 sounds so good in demos though that I am willing to risk being disappointed.

I suppose my question is less about volume, and more about the distortion staying controlled and defined. I don't want it to have that slushy washed-out sound from being pushed too hard.

I also usually like full power.

I did not play it at band volumes very long.... But the amp response was fairly modern voiced. It seemed there was a fair amount of juice at the plates. It does not have the girth of a larger amp but has the punch you would expect from a amp this size.
For me personally it would not be a issue.

I am in the some boat on the TC-50. I most likely will not sell or trade any of my gear to get one. I can part with one amp if needed but would rather keep what I have and avoid the regrets later. Sure would love this in a 100W version but doubt you could run 4 6V6 due to power supply requirements... I could be off the mark on that comment. Would love to hear the amp with 6L6 installed. Demos only had EL34 or 6V6.

I do not play in a band so the 50W power is no issue. I would agree with the comments on the 100W amps that have the 50W option. Either the extra headroom of all 4 tubes is what I have based my sound on vs the half power mode. Actually I have discovered some great tones with the RA100 and Roadster at 50W setting. Even the Mark V has a different tone at 45W.

This would be hard to pass up but if there is a 100W version down the road that may change things... At least with the 6V6 you can get a different characteristic as well as level drop to 25W. Very tempting.

An amp built from scratch is different from an amp which can be run on half power. I wouldn't expect it to have the same bass response as a 100w amp, but the clean headroom is intact and the overall character doesn't seem murky, as heard when my amp has two tubes pulled. Even so, the tight switch would improve clarity by filtering out low frequencies. These are my takeaways from the three demos.

Maybe Stephen and anyone else with hands-on experience could address this concern?

I generally like the extra low end tightness of 100 watt amps. Having sad that the TC 50 is pretty tight. when I cranked the clean channel (through a Recto 2x12) it held on pretty well. It did start to compress the bass a little as well as clip the power section, but it was louder than I would need for the gigs we play. For the volume I expected much more break up and tonal change. Still sounded great.

What isn't always obvious is that the speakers will also be getting into some mild power compression. A 4x12 while probably not louder should be more dynamic especially in the bass where the most power is. Even though a V30 is rated at 60 watts, that doesn't tell you how compressed it will be as you go from say 1 watt to 60.

With my two Marshall JCM800s , 2203 and 2204 (100 and 50 watts versions) the main difference is the 100 is tighter, but not really louder. The 50 watt amp does have more complexity in the mids and at low to moderate practice levels I am preferring it for practice and recording.

I'm hoping that the 1x12 combo won't suffer to much at high volume with its partially open cab and just one speaker. I may do some testing between 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 at home for the 50 watt Marshall and see what happens as the first shipment of TC50s isn't due until sometime January.

What exactly is your concern ?

There was a fair amount of bass with the tight off. With the tight on and gain just above half it is a very focused modern sound.
You would need to try it with your gear and with your band to see if it works for you.

If you have issues in the mix, use the cab clone and send it to the house if possible, or you can mic the amp if needed.

It looks like the amp will fit on a Vertical 212 cab as it has similar dimensions to the Mark V head footprint. That works for me.

Back