The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:22 pm 
Mark III

I've never heard any cabinet that sounds better than a Mesa Mark series metal grill half open/half closed with C90s up top and mighty EVM12Ls below. I used to have a 1960A for my Marshall, but the Mark series slayed it so badly, I sold it and got another Mark! Whichever of my Capital Amps (Think Capital Ships aka Battleships) is in use, it always has 8x12 behind it. :twisted:

I duplicate 1/2 of this with my MkIV combo + Thiele. It's simply unbeatable to me.

Quad Preamp/2:90
MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb
Mark 4x12 Stack
Charvel 650 Custom/EMG85/SLV/SLV+SPC
Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA
Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 Exotic
Fender Tele USA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:47 pm 
Dual Recto

I finally got around to stuffing the old OS Recto cab with the EVM12L -BL speakers..... I guess the divorce did not get finalized and the marriage is back on with the EV... I basically did this to run my Roadster but found the JP-2C sounds incredible though the EV loaded cab. Much better in a sealed cab vs open back combo with a single EV in it. Still the V30 sounds great on its own when not trying to compete with an EV loaded cab pushed by another amp.

Still prefer the Vertical 212 for most of what I do as it is easier on my hearing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 pm 
Mark III

I'd love to try the V2x12 some day but so far I've just had the Recto 1x12 & 4x12. That said I think the V30 Mesa cab sounds more modern, and my 1960 G12T-75 cabs sound more vintage with the Mark amps. Both sound great with the JP. I do think the 1960 really needs to be loud to sound its best though. The Mesa cabs can sound great at any volume.
https://youtu.be/NdARuM_4QJ8

I did just come up on an original EVM12L, which actually sounds really cool with the Mark amps. Trying to decide if I want to drop it in a 1.3 cubic foot Thiele or maybe try out one of the old Mesa 4x12s with the metal grills that had them. Hmm.. That could be juicy. The Celestions all seem to color the tone where the EVM doesn't seem to, and has a really cool feel.

Anyone have a quick rundown of what different setups were offered in those older metal grille cabs?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 am 
Mark III

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yoy1die8luaq ... .jpeg?dl=0
Richb

Mark IIC+ 60w original
Mark IIC+ head simul class LOADED original and clean as hell!
RoadKing I head
RoadKing II head
Mark V head
Royal Atlantic head
JP-2C Head

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:23 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Sorry to resurrect this thread a year later but I am hoping for some feedback.

So I just ordered a jp2c which will be here next week. This will be my 3rd mesa, I had a trem-o-verb dual rec 2x12 combo which I sold many years ago for a large PA system (a decision I sorely regret), and I currently have a rocket 44 1x12 combo. My question is this, while I have 2 no name 2x12 cabs loaded with random crap speakers, I also have 2 cabs I built my self about 6 years ago that are oddball open backs with 4x8" alnico 60s era organ speakers and 1x12" WSG vet30 each. I actually think they sound pretty good, and I will at least try one out with the jp2c when it arrives. But I also noticed that there is an 80s vert mesa halfback available locally for $400, it's got evm12ls top and bottom, and I don't think that the back panel to close the top is still around.

To those in this thread who have the old halfbacks, should I bother with them? Are they still floating your boats? And if so do you run the top open or closed and what's the speaker configuration?

Thanks for your consideration, also richb how do you like your fx8? I am also thinking of getting myself one asap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:00 am 
Mark III

I had a vert halfback with the EVs in it. They are a very sterile speaker, more hi-fi than most guitar speakers. IMO they don't sound good until you play them LOUD. I traded mine off eventually.

I tend to prefer sealed back cabs with my Marks.

P.S. I also have a really nice cream Tolex Tremoverb for sale right now on the 'bay...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the reply, I will check that listing out. My rocket 44 is technically a mark circuit amp and it's half open with a c90, I have no problem with the sound, but I will probably be auditioning some closed back stuff, I was considering a port city cab as well (os 2x12). I also saw a 70s sunn 412L 4x12 for only $300 locally that is pretty tempting to check out. There is also a mesa dealer in town, I could drag my head down there and try out some various mesa cabs. I do play some gigs where a small footprint cab will be required, but in those places I think an open back will be required as the stages tend to be very small and I often have to setup in front of the drummer as a result. Hopefully the jp2c will sound OK with my current open back.

Also does anyone have any experience with the jp2c with the mesa ported 1x12 cab?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 am 
Dual Recto

Jesse Daly wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I will check that listing out. My rocket 44 is technically a mark circuit amp and it's half open with a c90, I have no problem with the sound, but I will probably be auditioning some closed back stuff, I was considering a port city cab as well (os 2x12). I also saw a 70s sunn 412L 4x12 for only $300 locally that is pretty tempting to check out. There is also a mesa dealer in town, I could drag my head down there and try out some various mesa cabs. I do play some gigs where a small footprint cab will be required, but in those places I think an open back will be required as the stages tend to be very small and I often have to setup in front of the drummer as a result. Hopefully the jp2c will sound OK with my current open back.

Also does anyone have any experience with the jp2c with the mesa ported 1x12 cab?

Unfortunatley not. That does have the 90W MC90 in it. You may be better served with a 212 cab for a higher power rating. There is the Road King 212 that has V30 sealed and the MC90 in a partial open back form. That is a horizontal cab. I actually like the blend of MC90 and the V30.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 pm 
Donating Member

I just picked up a ported 1x12 compact cab with an EVM in it and I really like it with the JP, it’s slightly less aggressive than the 2x12 vertical Mesa I usual run with it but sounds incredible. Nice bottom and a bit less high end than the 2x12, that may be because it’s so low to the ground too. Only got about an hour on it tonight but it’s a keeper. I’m anxious to run the Mark III and DC-3 through it as well.

DC-3 Combo
Single Rectifier
Mark V:25
& Lots of Cabs!!!!! (all Boogie)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I wonder if mesa would make a 1x12 ported cab in cream bronco with the cream & tan jute to match my jp2c? And I was kind of attracted to the new celestion "copper" 250w neo speaker that came out at namm, would be nice to have a high power handling grab and go that didn't have a 19lb speaker in it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 am 
Dual Recto

Jesse Daly wrote:
I wonder if mesa would make a 1x12 ported cab in cream bronco with the cream & tan jute to match my jp2c? And I was kind of attracted to the new celestion "copper" 250w neo speaker that came out at namm, would be nice to have a high power handling grab and go that didn't have a 19lb speaker in it.

I have been considering the Copper top as well. then there is the F12-X200, wonder what that sounds like as well. Need actual sound clips to decide.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 am 
Dual Recto

Dang it, I got another Vertical 212, came in yesterday as it was waiting on my doorstep when I got home for lunch. :P

I am a believer in the Vertical 212 such that I have three of them. I am also very lazy and do not like separating amps from cabs to swap over to another amp head. Since I have two TC series amps, I needed another for the JP-2C. This time I took a different approach, I got one with the crème and black grill cloth with the crème piping. The different grill makes it look smaller but I love the different look as I am getting tired of everything being black. I also ordered a matching faceplate for the JP-2C direct from Mesa. I will post pictures when the faceplate arrives.