jp2c cabinet choice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

232cap

Reaction score
looking at the angled recto 4-12 and the angled or square traditional cabs to use with my jp. Seems like most mesa guys like the traditional cabs but looking for first hand info. Thanks

232cap said:
looking at the angled recto 4-12 and the angled or square traditional cabs to use with my jp. Seems like most mesa guys like the traditional cabs but looking for first hand info. Thanks

I've been using the Boogie 2x12 for recording and small venues. My other choice is the angled large recto cab

I also use the Recto 2x12 for smaller gigs and recording. I use the traditional (straight) 4x12 for bigger or outdoor gigs. I've used the angled 4x12 before but didn't care for that as much. The traditional cab has a nice tight sound for both Mark amps and Recto amps.

Horizontal Recto 2x12 is my go to. However, I recently purchased a DV Mark Neoclassic 1x12. It has a 150W speaker with Neodymium magnet and only 18 pounds. I'm very surprised at how good it sounds. I used it tonight at a rehearsal and it really sounded great. It held its own against a Road King 2x12 combo and a Marshall DSL 2000 w/Bogner 2x12.

IMG_2368_zpsptkajbwv.jpg

I am currently running a Thiele with a V30, and it sounds pretty good. However, last night I ordered an EV 12 Classic which will go into the Thiele next week. Looking forward to hearing the results!

Anyone running an open back cabinet? When using the cab clone, I kind of like the open back tone better than the closed back tone. I've been using it with a traditional recto 4x12 and sometimes I feel like it's missing a little something.

I actually considered picking up a Thiele or open back 1 or 2x12 & putting V30s in it.

Depending on venue I'm currently running either an Orange PPC212 or PPC412. Both closed back. Just picked up a Mesa 212 Recto Vertical and while I haven't gigged it yet, I'm really liking the sound :p

Cheers,

Riki

For me, the 2x12 is the best sounding cab. I use two 2x12 cabs (I prefer the orange to the boogies) rather than a 4x12. It sounds amazing.

I'm not sure how to add a photo. Help?

/Users/pencilpusher/Desktop/JP-2C PPC212.jpg

SimonBob said:
For me, the 2x12 is the best sounding cab. I use two 2x12 cabs (I prefer the orange to the boogies) rather than a 4x12. It sounds amazing.

I'm not sure how to add a photo. Help?

/Users/pencilpusher/Desktop/JP-2C PPC212.jpg

To post pic: You have to sign up for an image hosting website (like Photobucket). Upload your pics there, then attach to your forum post.
If you do a search here, I think there are instructions how.

The 2x12 Recto is my "go-to" cab.

Yesterday I picked up a 2x12 Rectifier Compact cabinet from a local guy. Plugged it in to my JP2C today.

- The cleans sounded great. Different than my 4x12 O/S Recto cab, but equally good.
- Channels 2 & 3 I thought sounded terrible. Muddy, boxy, and poor note separation. (compared to my 4x12) Loss of bottom end character that the GEQ couldn't really re-capture. Boo.
- It felt really beamy / directional. Didn't fill the room.

Looks like I'll be selling it. Really I'd like to replace it with a 1x12 for portability, but not having a chance to play before I buy I need some help deciding. Think high gain traditional V shaped GEQ sounds. Looks like I have some youtubing to do.

- 1x12 recto cab?
- 1x12 mini recto cab? Nervous about either of these sounding boxy. I'm sure there are subtle differences between them.
- 1x12 Thiele cab? I have a hard time getting a feel for this one watching videos.
- 1x12 widebody closed back (ported) cab?

The V30 is generally my sound so I don't know how I'll feel about the C90. Guess there's one way to find out.

I use a OS Mesa 4x12 cab loaded with 8ohm Eminence Swamp Thangs and Texas Heats that deliver solid, clear, full tone for all settings and styles I throw at it.

I too am looking for other options vs the 412. I already have two Mesa OS slant front Recto 412 cabs and one Egnator traditional sized cab that I was considering selling but may install the V30's in it again. But I am lacking the room for another 412 cabinet (reason for wanting to sell the Egnator cab).

I guess the compact 2x12 is out, not the first comment I read about clarity with the higher gain. Perhaps the standard Recto 2x12 would be it. Would also like to use it with my Roadster or RA100 as well.

Would love to find one of those 2x12 cabs with the metal grill. I could get a Thiele as I have plenty of EVs not in use at the moment.

I ended up picking up a Mesa 1x12 standard recto cab after talking to a guy @ Mesa about that vs. the new mini recto cabs. The old style has more internal volume. Playing it through any of my heads, given that I like the 2x12 & 4x12 oversize sound, I couldn't be happier with it in a 1x12.

I found something that works for me, actually I had it all along, just did not have the amp to try it out but now I do. Sweet. Problem resolved for me anyway.

My personal preference started with my Roadster head, now seems the JP-2C will be competing for the same spot. I refurbished my 16 year old OS Recto cab and loaded it with Celestion G12H75. Oh yeah baby, that is it. Sounded great through the V30 loaded cab too. I am now fully vested in the JP-2C.

Are you talking about the G12H75 Creamback? I put one of those in my Mark III combo, and I think it is the perfect speaker for the open back job. It's got the V30 vibe, but without the honk you get when you open back them. I'd love to hear them in a sealed cab.

Yes, the G12H75 Crème back.

There is some differences between the open vs sealed. Open back they seem a bit warmer which gives them a vintage character. However in a sealed 412 they sound huge. Slight mid shift to a lower frequency than the V30, but no sacrifice in the top end. I found them to be perfect with the Roadster head. V30 would get a bit muddy for palm muting such that I had found it hard to dial out the bottom end on the amp as it is a dark amp to start with. Running both cabs with the Roadster is best (mix of G12H75 and the V30). The JP-2C on the other hand, I would be happy either way. Thought the palm muting chug sounded much better with the crème back compared to the V30 (I was using the same amp settings to compare the two so perhaps change in general eq or the 5 band eq would work). One I pulled the gain pull switches and used shred, the G12H75 crème backs seemed to sound the best.

Now it will come down to recording in a mix. I have been working on a project but held off as I ordered the JP-2C. Now I will see how the different cabs will make it in the cut or not. Also will have a chance to try the cab clone, along with sm57 and perhaps an RE320 along with the Rivera Rock Crusher recording attenuator. 4 channels for one amp seems a bit overkill but sometimes it works once blended so you can record what you hear vs tone loss due to mic response. I will see how far I get. May end up using both cabs, one for rhythm and the other for lead.

I really did my back in this week doing yard work as it is catching up to me. Despite the pain and discomfort I attempted to capture the JP-2C through two OS Recto slant front 412 cabinets. First part of the recording is the V30 loaded cab (stock) and the second part is the Celestion G12H-75 Cream back loaded cab. Really had no idea what to play so it is just random stuff. If you get past the lack of talent, you may hear similarities or differences between the two speakers. Mics used were your typical SM57 on one of the upper speakers, RE320 on one of the bottom speakers, and for room ambience the NT1-A condenser mic set up in a distance away from the speaker. I did not use the cab-clone or the Rock Crusher attenuator for this recording. Strait up 100W power setting. CH2 recorded with the settings you find on page 8 of the manual. I did not pull and of the pull switches. Standard V shape on the EQ1.

The recording does come close but not exact to actual.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353100000/jp-2cv30-g12h75cbwav

After experimenting with the JP-2C I realized I had some meager settings when I made the recording. I have been exploring the unmodified Recto cab, it is brighter than the creambacks but yet manageable. I am finding some really sweet settings since yesterday. Just for kicks I wanted to hear the amp though an inexpensive Egnator cab that I reinstalled the OEM speakers back in. It is a 16 ohm cab with Celestion custom Elite speakers. I did not care for it through the Roadster. Reason for the cab was to use it with my RA100 but with the original V30 speakers I pulled from my old Recto in favor of EV. The Egnator cab sounded really good actually. However a little thin in character vs the OS Recto 412. I will have to pull the oem speakers out and install the V30 to get a feel for the traditional sized 412 vs the oversized Recto. Fate has it set up that I can experiment with some options. If the traditional cab with V30 sound great, I will have a tough decision to make. However my studio (if you want to call it that) has limited space and is difficult with the drums and bass rig in the same room along with two half stacks. Methinks I have to move my gear into another room, perhaps the office would be a better choice as it is the 2nd largest room in the home. Not ready to move anything at the moment. It is not like I can play the bass, drums and guitar at the same time. However when it is Jam time at my house, it gets crowded in the studio easily (or should I say spare bedroom which is what it is).

I am done, as it seems, the smaller 412 cab seemed too bright with the V30's loaded. It had a darker tone and sounded closer to the OS Recto with the V30 when it had the 16ohm 75W smaller magnet Elite Celestion speakers. Not sure how a traditional Mesa cab would compare. I will stick with what sounds the best which is the OS Recto 412 with V30. Sounds spectacular using the Clean channel. Awesome with CH2 or CH3. The cab with the Celestion Creambacks may work wonders with the Roadster, it sounded great with the JP-2C, just did not win me over like the V30 Recto cab.

Dang it.... Stay away from the computer. I am really thinking of getting the Recto 2x12 Vertical slant front cab. I would prefer the full sound of the OS Recto 412 if this is capable of delivering the tone and character of the 412 then I am in. Just in looking at the JP-2C head sitting on top of the OS Recto 412, it almost looks like a lunch box amp. I really love the size of this head, compact and weighs much less than the Roadster and considerably less than the RA100. The recordings on Sweetwater used the vertical 2x12 cab. Sounded good. Considering the cost of nearly $799 for the Vertical 2x12 and $1049 for the 412, which has better value? I guess that depends on what you decide to do with it.

So I am interested in those that have the Vertical 2x12 to offer opinions if you have one or have played though one.

Latest posts

Back