Played a JP 2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
I played one of these today in hollywood. I've been playing C+'s for 10 years.

This thing is legit, with more features on tap. It sounds good at low volumes, but great at higher volumes, like really great. Guys who know and have played C+'s in the past will find it hard to snub this one...I'm sure one can find minute differences, compare voltages and all this kind of stuff, but I had a hard time doing so...

Sh!t hot! I can't wait for the masses to get their hands on it and give us some reviews.

Awesome news. Mine will be here Friday, so I'll be putting it through the paces this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Thats awesome, I've been 2nd guessing my decision since February 1st when I ordered it . To get the thumbs up from a board member that knows C+'s made my day. I feel like I'm comming down with boogie flu and need to take Thursday off. Don't want to miss that big brown truck. Thanks Elpelotero

Elpelotero said:
I played one of these today in hollywood. I've been playing C+'s for 10 years.

This thing is legit, with more features on tap. It sounds good at low volumes, but great at higher volumes, like really great.
This is good news, as I was concerned about the volume issue that I had with 60/100 Mark series amps in the past. They were a Mark I and IIB that did not quite have the preamp gain, though. Maybe this amp will let more people enjoy the C+ experience without having to beat the bushes for one to pop up for sale. Probably more consistant, too.

Tried one at my local dealer today. It was a great experience.

1. It's pretty small. Much smaller than the V. I like that.
2. It's HEAVY. Bend your knees...
3. It has everything the IIC+ mode in the V doesn't have. Aggression. Strong mid grind. Big lows. The IIC+ in the V always sounded anemic to me, more like a Mark I. This is like Mark IV mode, but tighter and more aggressive.
4. It sounds great with and without the EQ. You can turn the bass up a bit more without flub, and get a good classic rock tone, then kick on the EQ and get modern rock. And that's on one channel only.
5. So much more punchy, and full at the same time.
6. Then there is A WHOLE 'NOTHER CHANNEL!
7. I think the pull gain is silly. To each his own.
8. I like the presence pulled.
9. Shred... Not sure. Doesn't hurt to have it, anyway.

This thing has a VERY different character from the V. Completely different IMO. It had a mid aggression that I think the V was lacking, and more lows. I think it's a bit less mid-forward as well. I wound up pulling the 750Hz slider down less than in the V and V:25. It's just a ballsy amp. And LOUD.

Now I get why Mark II fans are so rabid about them. It's a killer amp. If the real IIC+ sounds even better, I don't know how you folks ever manage to leave the house.

elvis said:
Now I get why Mark II fans are so rabid about them. It's a killer amp. If the real IIC+ sounds even better, I don't know how you folks ever manage to leave the house.

Yes. This.

Great review. I keep the gain and presence pulled. Shred depends on my mood.

elvis said:
This thing has a VERY different character from the V. Completely different IMO. It had a mid aggression that I think the V was lacking, and more lows. I think it's a bit less mid-forward as well. I wound up pulling the 750Hz slider down less than in the V and V:25. It's just a ballsy amp. And LOUD.

I think you just sold me on it elvis. :mrgreen: I've held off to hear what people thought about it but I don't think I can wait any longer. I can feel this things Gravity is pulling me in. :p

I had a chance to play a JP2C today. I could only play it at library level, which is half as loud as bedroom level so we're talking quiet. The first thing I did was to max the gain on channel one to see if it is still squeaky clean which to my delight, it wasn't. It didn't get as hairy as JP's beard but it has enough hair for thick grainy blues tones. Second thing I did was dial in a blues tone on channel two, a breeze. Nice solid bark for 65db., I could only imagine how good the tone will be turned up a little. Both tones, non-GEQ. Gain? How does it compare to the Mark llC++ for gain? It powered right on by the C++ and even motors past any Mark lll in the gain department. When I got home I maxed out the gain on the C++ just to see what it would sound like and the JP2C definitely has more gain than my C++. We're talking the maximum gain allowed by law, maybe more. The pick attack didn't seem delayed like with the Mark IV & V. The GEQ is the same as on the Mark V and MV25 which I kind of knew it would be, which is to say it has about half the influence on the tone that the GEQ does on the C+. If the GEQ isn't engaged on the C+, the amp is good, not spectacular, but when the GEQ is set right, look out - grail tone - seriously unmatched heavenly feeling tone that makes you want to play less notes so you can hear more amp!
I like my C++ a whole bunch more today, but I'm certainly not canceling my ordered JP2C.

Markedman said:
and the JP2C definitely has more gain than my C++. We're talking the maximum gain allowed by law, maybe more.

It has more gain than a line 6 spider. It has more gain than you can imagine. If you tell someone to imagine the absolute most gain an amp could possibly produce and then let them plug into a JP2C, their face would melt. Unimaginable levels of gain. :lol:
Glad you seemed to like it! Too bad you didn't get to turn it up. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this beast when it arrives. And you get to crank it! :twisted:

Was up in L.A. yesterday to see Dream Theater. I stopped by Mesa Hollywood earlier in the day and tried out the JP2C. That amp is pretty sweet! Channel 2 and 3 were great, but I couldn't get over how good the clean channel sounded too. I can't wait to get my amp now. :D
And Petrucci's tone at the show last night was awesome. The leads (channel 3) were "singing".

Back