The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:30 am 
Mark II

boanerges wrote:
Ok, I just installed a pair of well broken in Scumbacks, an M75/H75 duo, which I find a great combination for Marshall type tones.

So far, I find these speakers a great deal more detailed than the V30s that came with the amp. The V30s sounded duller and harder whereas the Scumbacks seems to bring out the highs in a more detailed, sweeter way. Difficult to describe sounds in words, I know, and my metaphors probably won't make sense outside my own head, but I perceive the difference as warmer, more detailed, more chimey, and with a more pronounced and sweeter top end.

I'll test it in a loud context thru a PA on a gig tonight -- really excited to hear how this sounds through a PA.

A small bonus: the amp is a tad lighter with the Scumbacks. Not exactly a drawback.

I got to this party late, but you have installed the speakers I would have suggested. The last Electra Dyne I owned (1x12 combo), I ran a 100 watt H75 and I thought it was perfect. Very balanced and I liked the tight low end.

I actually have another ED on hold at the moment (another 1x12 combo) and I will pair the H75 with it again.

For what it's worth, I've owned both the 2x12 and 1x12 and I found I liked the 1x12 more because it sounds more open or less boxy.

PRS Sunburst SC 245/PRS 57/08 humbuckers
2000 PRS Singlecut/Throbak DT-102 MXV humbuckers
PRS Santana Signature/Wolfetone Dr. Vintage humbuckers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:57 pm 
Mark II

The trick that worked for me turned out to be the more unlikely choice.
I tend to collect speakers and tubes and stack them in a closet when I'm not rotating them in and out of cabs when I experiment. I favor picking up new kinds of Celestions to try out, but I keep other brands too. One Celestion I had acquired in the 90s, but never fully utilized was a 12" Sidewinder.
When I picked up my ED I bought it as a package with a 4/12 cab. The 4/12 I used with my Dual Rec Solo head was the much larger behemoth and the older I got the more I wished it to be the smaller, tighter size, so I was excited to enter a new round of matching cabs to heads.
Of course, from the start, I recognized the Electradyne was one monster amp, reminding me of how I thought a boutique Marshall clone should sound (forgive me if in fact the ED is nothing at all like that, I play boogies and can't even spell JCM) so the process was marred by endless jamming on the blue channel, and pretty much each iteration of cab speaker combo I tried out sounding amazing, so it was hard to proceed and be critical.
For instance, as staggering as the ED half stack truly is, I realized that I went down in size, the ED was starting to sound bigger...hmmnn.
After trying the Jensens in my 4/10 I swapped in Vintage 10's and it was getting pretty gnarly- then I went through combinations in a 2/12. EV's, The c90s and vintage 30s sounded good but not enough to settle and the Golds were really nice, but there was that last 12" I had sitting around that had gone unused for most of two decades.
I hadn't thought much of a single 12 cab because I knew the ED was a powerstation- but the Sidewinder was rated at 150 watts, so I loaded it into a 3/4 back and gave it a shot. Before I felt that the Sidewinder almost sounded like it was dampening my amps, it never sparkled or chimed, but now suddenly in this cab with this amp, it was just natural fit.
Interesting look with that big head on the widebody cab- both are the same exact length.
So, in the end, the last speaker I thought to try became that special ingredient for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:01 am 
Mark III

Analog Kid, you got some pics of your head/cab setup?

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:56 am 
Mark III

I'm on a quest for a speaker for my 1x12 combo. I want a single 12" with a sweet top end that isn't harsh, soft mids, and really tight low end. Right now I have the stock Mesa C90. It's a great sounding speaker, but I'm wondering if I could take the low end a bit with another speaker. It sounds great with a bridge single coil or bridge+middle single coils. It's killer with a bridge humbucker too, but swap to a neck humbucker and the walls and foundation of the building begin to crumble and disintegrate from the huge low end. I had heard people sometimes bash the Electra Dyne's low end, and I never understood why.... until I got a guitar with 2 medium output humbuckers. My PRS Custom 22 sounds great I'm Deluxe Reverb Reissue, but it has way too much bass in the Electra Dyne. I may change to some low output pickups, but I was wondering if changing the speaker might remedy my "problem".

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:10 am 
Dual Recto

I had this problem and I solved it with guitar pickups. My Les Paul was the culprit so I ended up swapping the neck pickup to a Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell to tighten up the bottom, then I put an Alnico Nailbomb in the bridge to phatten it up. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:00 pm 
Mark III

YellowJacket wrote:
I had this problem and I solved it with guitar pickups. My Les Paul was the culprit so I ended up swapping the neck pickup to a Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell to tighten up the bottom, then I put an Alnico Nailbomb in the bridge to phatten it up. Problem solved.

I'm surprised more ED owners don't mention mini-humbuckers with this amp.
I have a pair of Jason Lollar minis in my Firebird V and they are a perfect combination.
Warm bell tones on clean setting, awesome crunch in Lo and Hi....no bass-y woofyness
that some complain about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 am 
Mark III

Yep, I think you're right about changing the pickups. I'd rather have some lower output pickups anyways. The Dragon II's that come stock in the older PRS Custom 22's are really hot and huge sounding. They're great for high gain, but not so great for clean or low gain. They sound great in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue using a Fulltone GT-500 for gain, but in the Electra Dyne I have to set the amp completely different when I plug in that guitar: turn the volume(gain) down to 12:00, raise the treble to 1:30, lower the bass to 10:00. Do you have any suggestions for a good set of lower output humbuckers? I've been considering PAF-type pickups like the Dimarzio 36th anniversary. I need something with balanced mids and highs and really tight bass. I'm also gonna change the wiring scheme: from rotary pickup selector to toggle switch with a push/pull tone knob. I also want to have a series/parallel option for the bridge pickup.

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:04 pm 
Dual Recto

Hollis wrote:
Yep, I think you're right about changing the pickups. I'd rather have some lower output pickups anyways. The Dragon II's that come stock in the older PRS Custom 22's are really hot and huge sounding. They're great for high gain, but not so great for clean or low gain. They sound great in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue using a Fulltone GT-500 for gain, but in the Electra Dyne I have to set the amp completely different when I plug in that guitar: turn the volume(gain) down to 12:00, raise the treble to 1:30, lower the bass to 10:00. Do you have any suggestions for a good set of lower output humbuckers? I've been considering PAF-type pickups like the Dimarzio 36th anniversary. I need something with balanced mids and highs and really tight bass. I'm also gonna change the wiring scheme: from rotary pickup selector to toggle switch with a push/pull tone knob. I also want to have a series/parallel option for the bridge pickup.

Go check out some Bare Knuckle Pickups, they're pretty amazing.

A go to for vintage tone is a Mule (PAF replica) in the neck with a Riff Raff in the bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D756154qUdo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 pm 
Mark III

Thanks! Those sound like exactly what I'm looking for!

PRS Custom 22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:46 am 
Dual Recto

I first heard about Bare Knuckle Pickups here and since trying them on a lark, I now have them in all my guitars. My most 'vintage' set is the Rebel Yell bridge and a VHII neck in an all mahogany guitar. But, after hearing that Mule / Riff Raff clip, it would be tempting to get an axe just for those pickups!!

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... p=the_mule

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... =riff_raff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:07 pm 
Mark II

Hollis wrote:
Analog Kid, you got some pics of your head/cab setup?

hey ya!, but it isn't the best pic : )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:28 pm 
Donating Member

I too, have owned and tried many, many speakers and many speaker combinations. I own Mesa cabs in most configurations.

To my ear, all my Mesa amps sound best with a Celestion Gold. The Gold lets the guitar and amp dynamics ring out and seems to enhance all the amp controls. When I first tried a 10" Gold with my 5:25, I couldn't believe I was playing the same amp. The 5:25 immediately became my favorite Mesa, at least until I tired 12" Golds with my Mark V and other Mesa amps. With the 12", every Mesa amp became was my favorite amp! Same with the ED.

Using Golds, to me, is like lifting a blanket off the speaker cab. But YMMV.

Hope you find the sound(s) you seek.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:17 pm 
Mark II

I have Golds in my Heartbreaker and they are indeed very good speakers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:32 pm 
Dual Recto

Has anyone tried their ED with a Fillmore?

Guitars: PRS "McBraz" Brazilian McCarty
Pedals: Bogner Uber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:28 am 
Donating Member

Hollis wrote:
It's killer with a bridge humbucker too, but swap to a neck humbucker and the walls and foundation of the building begin to crumble and disintegrate from the huge low end.

Lower the neck pickup.

45w mode.

|| McCarty | Les Paul | Custom 24 ||
|| Cantrell Wah | Rotovibe | Phase 90 | Grid Slammer ||
|| Triple Crown 50 | Recto 2x12/4x12 ||

|| Jazz Bass | Bass Strategy | PH410 ||