Mark V speaker question??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonedragon

Reaction score
Hi I recently built a fender style 2x12. Cab, now I fixing to build a 1x12 cab that can handle the Mark V in all power setting.
Not looking to spend more than $150 on a speaker. What power rating should I get a 100 watt or something higher. I'm looking at possible neo speaker to keep the cab light. Like a Jensen 100watt neo or a 100watt Jensen mod.
Then I saw that Eminence has some nice offerings as well. Any advise??? Not looking for the back breaking EVL type cause of weight. I guess just need advise in the power ratings.

tonedragon said:
Hi I recently built a fender style 2x12. Cab, now I fixing to build a 1x12 cab that can handle the Mark V in all power setting.
Not looking to spend more than $150 on a speaker. What power rating should I get a 100 watt or something higher. I'm looking at possible neo speaker to keep the cab light. Like a Jensen 100watt neo or a 100watt Jensen mod.
Then I saw that Eminence has some nice offerings as well. Any advise??? Not looking for the back breaking EVL type cause of weight. I guess just need advise in the power ratings.
FWIW- Mesa supplies the MKV Combo stock with the C90 Black Shadow (90W), or optional with their versionof the Celestion V30, rated at 70W.

Ultimately it will depend on how you play the amp. Will it be in the bedroom? With a band? Do you always 'dime' the masters? Do you want some speaker break-up or clean, high headroom?

Dom

Yes ...serious my looking at the C90. Also the cab is same dimension s as the widebody 1x12. Gonna be a grab n go cab. With a speaker that won't blow in 90 watt mode.cause you all know at some point I'm gonna need full power to get that cone moving.
Any one use any other speakers besides the C90 and V30.????? W the MV

Do not use the master volume. Will be used in a live music setting. And at practice. Don't play metal anymore. Mostly blues rock/jam. Looming for vintage fender tines for the clean,but with some tweed breakup.
I know the amp can cover all the bases. Looking for a speakers that will too.

I wouldn't skimp on the speaker. It's a key part of your tone. It will cost you more in the end by settling for a speaker you may not love, but can afford, then eventually selling it and buying another (and possibly another, and another) :)

tonedragon said:
Any one use any other speakers besides the C90 and V30.????? W the MV

I use a pair of G12M-25s. Sounds like rock & roll.

You seem to be approaching the Mark V from a unique perspective by focusing on the more Fender-ish aspect. Let us know how that Cannabis Rex works out.

C-Rex in the cab ,havta wire it up still. Should be interesting .... And yes I guess I am approaching from the fender-ish roots. I just never realalized I was.

The C-Rex is working good. Nice out of the box. Not shrill at all. Tamed the highs that the MV can have. Nice thick lows ,thick mids ,highs are there but smooth out Even my Bustbucker 2&3 equipt les Paul standards ear piercing high have calmed down a bit.
All my les Paul's are wired 50's style independent volumes and peter green nodded neck pick up. Kinda my fault like LP with highs n no mud.
The MV in all modes still has the punch and charactistic of all three channels. Mark 1 mode has lost some mid range but I have it set with treble and Mids dimed ,bass cut out. Probably havta start from scratch to re tune it. Right now not using channel 2,For a while that's all I used.

Back