Mark V - Brad Paisley Setting - Chicken Pickin' Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanzant

Reaction score
Hey Folks...I have a Mark V combo, and I was curious about what settings you all use for a good Brad Paisley - chicken pickin' tone. Thanks in advance! :)
209147d1386112609-best-amp-everything-img_0076-jpg

Try Edge mode in channel 2, 45 watts tube recto. back the treble down to 10 o'clock or so, start with bass, mids and presence at noon and dial in to taste. Set the gain according to how much (if any) grit you'd like.

Vanzant said:
Hey Folks...I have a Mark V combo, and I was curious about what settings you all use for a good Brad Paisley - chicken pickin' tone. Thanks in advance! :)
209147d1386112609-best-amp-everything-img_0076-jpg

I'm a little late to the party, but I just got a Mark V a couple weeks ago and I'm huge Brad Paisley fan. Have owned several Dr. Z amps to get close to his tone and currently own a Z-Wreck.

Brad's tone is based around the AC30, which is more upper mid-range voiced with some "grit" to his tone.

I find "Tweed" mode on channel 1 one set similar to this: Gain: 9:00-10:00, Treb: 12:00, Pres: 10:00, Mids: 2:00, Bass: 2:00, output: 3:00 (to match other channels), Reverb: to taste. 90wt mode and the thick switch (or what ever it's called) turned on (in the down position). This is a good, upper mid-range clean tone with some hair. With the thick switch engaged, it fills in some of the gaps. It's not dead on, but would fool some people. No GEQ

I play a Tele with Lindy Fralin Blues Specials and can get pretty close. But if I play my Z-Wreck for a while and come back to the Mesa, it's not quite as close as I'd like but I think it's close enough........ And maybe as close as the Mark V is going to get.

The other way I found to get his tone, and it's really close.... Find the most neutral clean tone you can get in either clean or Fat mode, then put a Wampler Paisley Drive in front of the amp with a little grit dialed and then set the tone from the pedal. This can get a little closer, but you lose the ability to use the Paisley drive for some great "rock" tones. I got that trick from Doug Seven on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ct8ncGWkA

BTW: I LOVE the hardwood / wicker combo, nice amp man! Makes my black Mark V look plain :(

Back