The new Mark VI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andretoscano

Reaction score
Ok, bit of a teaser title this was, but I guess this forum also serves to stimulate conversation.

So here goes: what would be your dream list of specs for the new Mark VI (if there ever is one)?

Here are mine:

1. All the modes we now have in the Mark V.

2. One additional mode that could blend some kind of internal solid state distortion (MESA pedals anyone?) with tube distortion, just for kicks.

3. Footswitchable upfront gain boost on every channel (kind of like the SOLO function, but before the pre-amp section).

4. Cabclone circuit built-in.

5. Possibility of switching it to a stereo amp at lower powers, through some clever configuration of the pairs of power tubes.

6. Switchable output section to allow the use of different pairs of power amp tubes *without having to change them on the spot*.

7. The potentiometers would also work as digital encoders, so as to have real time bidirectional automated digital control over the parameters via MIDI/USB. Think Triaxys with knobs.

8. USB/MIDI interface.

9. Side rails to unlock and easily slide the amp backwards and forwards (for servicing and tube changing).

10. ToneMatch technology, to make it easier to emulate an AXE FX (just kidding...).

What would be your dream Mark VI?

Take a Mark V and change the names of channel 3's modes to Focused, Thick, and Modern.
That way everyone will stop the constant IIC+ comparisons and just enjoy the thing for the awesome amp that it is.

As long as we're fantasizing with no accountability with respect to technical complexity, I'd like channel cloning between 2 and 3. Sometimes I want two different channel 3 tones.

Also: +1 on 150W and "Focused, Thick, and Modern"

ryjan said:
Take a Mark V and change the names of channel 3's modes to Focused, Thick, and Modern.

But then it wouldn't sell as much...I doubt they will. Their marketing draws too heavily on the fame of those old amps.

For me personally, the only thing that would make me want to upgrade to the next Mark would be Progressive Linkage (even if that meant giving up the 10W mode).

Realistically, though, based on their recent release history and the crazy popularity of those mini amps, my money says we will see a Mini Roadster or a Mini Road King before we see a new big Mark, Roadster or Road King.

Foot switch between modes. I also agree not to name the channels after previous models. It draws too many comparisons. Though the marketing department would never have it. 150w would be nice too. A more modern gain channel might be nice, though I personally wouldn't use it... I mean **** the 5 does everything, I agree with the above poster that we will see a plethora of minis hit the market before another 100w mark. I can't see myself ever getting rid of my 5, though I said that about the three different 4s ive owned lol..

Hypnotoad696 said:
Foot switch between modes.

Second that!

[...] I agree with the above poster that we will see a plethora of minis hit the market before another 100w mark.

You're probably right.
I don't think there ever was a time when the market was so flooded with lower wattage amps.
The tendency seems to be for less - not more - power, along with some gimmicks like the CabClone that will eventually allow you to plug your amp directly to whatever console the venue/rehearsal room is using and get a proper sound (minus the carrying weight that usually goes with it).

Channel cloning for CH 2 and 3, I like the Focused/Thick/Modern rename idea, cabclone and rackmount.

That said the Mini MkV is my perfect amp, I don't even miss CH2.

A ton of great suggestions...

I know this is a stretch but if we have a tweed and crunch channel...why not a recto flavor?

jb's 52 said:
A ton of great suggestions...

I know this is a stretch but if we have a tweed and crunch channel...why not a recto flavor?

Well, the die-hard recto fans would say it's not a real recto; the die-hard Boogie Mark fans would call it a "broken" Mark VI, yada yada yada...
Plus, MESA would sell a few less Recto's in the process, which I'm not sure if it's a good move for them (they'll know better than anyone else).

Fact is, if you're a consumer, you'll probably never be completely happy anyway. :)

Yep, makes no sense for Mesa to cannibalize their other core products if and when they come out with a newer Mark. I'd rather have several great tools than one tool trying to do too many jobs.

Back