Lonestar Classic Effects Loop "Send Level"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suave Eddie

Reaction score
I'm using the effects loop for the first time on my Lonestar Classic v1.
The only effect I am putting through the loop is a BBE Sonic Stomp (Sonic Maximizer in pedal form).
This pedal has no actual "level" control like an overdrive or an EQ for example.
For those unfamiliar with it, it is a frequency phase correction device using frequency-dependent time alignment with integrated amplitude compensation. It improves note definition -- sounds like a blanket lifted off your amp.

The instructions in the Mesa manual are a bit confusing to me.
See page 12 here http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/Lonestar.pdf

"3.) Adjust the SEND LEVEL control on the Rear Panel of the LONE STAR to achieve an adequate match on the INPUT level indicator
of your processor. Adjust the processor Output level stage (hopefully your processor has an OUTPUT LEVEL control) to match the
volume present before connecting the device(s) to the LONE STAR. You can check this by simply removing both the cables from the
SEND and RETURN simultaneously."

"First set sound with
LOOP bypassed. Then
set SEND & OUTPUT
to 50% for unity gain.
With LOOP IN, adjust
SEND to match FX.
Use OUTPUT for
RETURN level and
live volume control."

It shows a picture of the control knob for the level with the "normal" range from 10:00 to 2:00 and says to set it at 50% for unity gain. The pedal does not really introduce any gain.

Since this pedal does not introduce any gain per se should I set the level knob at 100% to get the optimum effect out of it? Is there any reason not to do this, or should I leave the control knob in the "normal" range?

You should set the level at 12 and then increase or decrease it to get the same volume level you have without the loop engaged but you probably already decided on that course of action since your post is 10 days old. How do you like the Sonic Stomp with your LSC?

Back