f50 versus 5;50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peedenmark7

Reaction score
Probably asked a few times already, but I am wanting to add another amp . Ive been patiently waiting for the right Custom F50 to pop up but , but after nearly 2 years that hasnt happened.

I am now considering a 5;50 which I am told is basically an F50 with new features.
Is this true?
Other than the wattage switching is there any significant changes from the f50 which would make the 5;50 sound completely different than its forerunner ?

I love my F50 and do not want to stray to far from the formula as I am not a mesa midrange fan ,but the F50 just satisfies my sweet tooth when I need something other than vintage 50 watt marshall master and Silver Jubilee sounds

I am considering going half stack again, but my F100 with 4x12 stiletto cab was too bassy, midrangey and far to loud for anything other than festival gigs, so I sold it after finding my custom 50...
I may simply get a 5;50 head and 2x12 as a slight departure from my Custom wine and whicker F50 head with matched 1x12, 3/4 back.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
thanks!

The 5:50 has a better clean sound (in my opinion), better reverb and is more flexible (4 modes, adjustable contour, 5 watt and 50 watt power settings) than an F50.

The F50 has more gain available than a 5:50.

When I tried them both side by side I chose the 5:50 even though it meant paying 50% more for a new 5:50 compared to a use F50. I am not a hard rock guitarist, mostly blues and classic rock.

peedenmark7 said:
Probably asked a few times already, but I am wanting to add another amp . Ive been patiently waiting for the right Custom F50 to pop up but , but after nearly 2 years that hasnt happened.

I am now considering a 5;50 which I am told is basically an F50 with new features.
Is this true?
Other than the wattage switching is there any significant changes from the f50 which would make the 5;50 sound completely different than its forerunner ?

I love my F50 and do not want to stray to far from the formula as I am not a mesa midrange fan ,but the F50 just satisfies my sweet tooth when I need something other than vintage 50 watt marshall master and Silver Jubilee sounds

I am considering going half stack again, but my F100 with 4x12 stiletto cab was too bassy, midrangey and far to loud for anything other than festival gigs, so I sold it after finding my custom 50...
I may simply get a 5;50 head and 2x12 as a slight departure from my Custom wine and whicker F50 head with matched 1x12, 3/4 back.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
thanks!

Hi - I just answered this on another thread hehe.

The 5:50 is not and never was a replacement for the f-50.
That was always a misinterpretation. Mesa never said that at all.
They are different beasts and the 5:50 is much better imo.
I really like the F-50. Have played it many times & gigged with one too.
So have no criticism at all. Just much prefer the 5:50 is all

The F-50 has slightly more gain and it's a different more modern flavour of distortion
The Express is still a high gain amp though, but it has better cleans, reverb & OD than an F-50.
Plus it's easier to dial in.
It has a series loop (F Series has parrellel), is lighter and is more versatile with 4 voices & the 5w and 50w power options.
The 5w and 50w options are extremely useful and as each has a different voice it's greatly extends the versatility of the 5:50.

My summary of the 5:50 is that it's basically a Lonestar Classic with lots more gain, easier to dial in, is 30 pounds lighter and $500 cheaper :mrgreen:

Interesting.. Well the only reason I went with the F series was for its gain.. I'm not a metal player ,nor am a mesa midrange fan, but I found this amp to be so different tonally from any other mesa that I had previously played that I had to buy it.

The lone star is a very nice clean amp but the gain section to me is too wimpy and country-ish.

Being a vintage marshall and fender snob of sorts, It is always hard trying new things amp wise, As I inevitably compare all clean to a fender super and all gain to a marshall 50 watt master or Jubilee.
I may just stick with the F50 as I have zero complaints , I love the extra and different gain it provides.
its neither recto nor a brit rip off.

I never thought I would own a mesa, but the F50 really does something for me... Go figure they discontinued it..

Latest posts

Back