Express Extension cabs... oh and a new guy saying hi...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdawg

Reaction score
Hi guys been lurking and reading for a while now, but thought Id say hello as I have a question...

Ive got an express 5:50 1x12 which I love, particularly the tight sounds I get out of it...

However hopefully Ill be playing live soon and have the chance to get the 1x12 3/4 back cab at a good price, but im worried that by using the the stock speaker and cab speaker out of the 2 4ohm sockets Im going to lose some of the sound I love...

So the question for you guys that are using ext cabs is does it make a noticeable difference to the sound you hear..?? (this'll be in the blues and crunch channels mainly)

I was looking at a 2x12 combo but its too heavy to be carrying around 3 or 4 times a week...

Running an extension cab can alter your tone. In most cases it's an improvement. A second speaker helps round out your sound by providing more presence and depth. The term "moving more air" is used here often. I don't know a better way to say it. Also, if you choose a speaker or cab design that's different than what you have in the combo, then you will have more impact on the tone. If you go with the same speaker and similar cab type the impact will be very subtle. Don't under estimate the impact of cab design.

The key to speakers is experimentation. Unfortunately that can me an expensive and time consuming process.

The Mesa cabs are very expensive for what they are, I was going to buy one but I'm not paying £700 for a wooden box with a speaker in it, you can make one to the same dim, and buy a speaker, costing about £150 in all.

if theyre as well built as orange and matamp cabs then yes theyre worth the money.. Imporves the sound too..

the construction of the cab and materials used are so underlooked sometimes Ive seen some 'big name' cabs destroyed after a couple of months gigging

I have 2 Mesa extension cabs, an Express and a 3/4 back wide body, both 1 x 12 with stock Black Shadow speakers. They both sound good but I like the bottom end of the wide body better. If I had o choose between the two I'd get the 3/4 wide body. I actually set the 5:50 atop both the wide body and Express cab and use the 5:50 as a head. I'm very tall and like the controls up high....plus it looks cool. :)

im assuming youve run the combo through itself and the 3/4 at the same time at some point, did you notice any change in tone/sound..??

UKBoogieboy said:
you can make one to the same dim, and buy a speaker

You can make one that seems to be the exact same spec, etc., but you will have a hard time duplicating the sound. I've tried. I'm no cabinet maker, not by a long shot, but I've tried, and there is obviously more to it than just making the same size box. Let us know how yours comes out. Having the right speaker makes quite a difference as well, almost as if they design the box for a specific speaker......

I think thats half of the success of the express range, theyre built like tanks... Also from memory the 3/4 back cab is 'tuned'...

Zilla were going to make me a 5.50 cab to the same specs, they even use the exact same coverings, and charge about 3 times less.

bigdawg said:
im assuming youve run the combo through itself and the 3/4 at the same time at some point, did you notice any change in tone/sound..??

The combo + widebody = great sound. You can definitely hear the bottom end and it really creates a fuller sound. Two speakers are always better than one. :) When the day comes that I'm playing larger venues I'll snag a 4 x 12 cab.

vbf said:
bigdawg said:

The combo + widebody = great sound. You can definitely hear the bottom end and it really creates a fuller sound. Two speakers are always better than one. :) When the day comes that I'm playing larger venues I'll snag a 4 x 12 cab.

Ok thats my mind made up then.. :D

Thank you

And if I ever play a venue that needs a 4x12 or 2 to be heard Ill invite you all to the after show party...

UKBoogieboy said:
The Mesa cabs are very expensive for what they are, I was going to buy one but I'm not paying £700 for a wooden box with a speaker in it, you can make one to the same dim, and buy a speaker, costing about £150 in all.

I had a 2x12 closed custom cab made which cost me $A500 verses $A1200 for a Mesa cab here in Aust.
I used the exact same specs as the Mesa cab with Celestion V30 speakers but improved the wiring so I can
a) use the cab and 5:50 combo together = 3 speakers or
b) use the cab alone
c) combo alone

also put rugged carry handles on both sides of the cab.
option a) sounds the best by far followed by b) then c) :mrgreen:

just out of interest has anyone run a 5:50 through a 4x4, intrigued as to how that sounds...

I have a secondary question that fits the title of this thread nicely.

So about these Express extension cabs... Has anybody else noticed that they look strikingly similar to the Compact cabs?

bigdawg said:
vbf said:
bigdawg said:

Ok thats my mind made up then.. :D

Thank you

And if I ever play a venue that needs a 4x12 or 2 to be heard Ill invite you all to the after show party...

Mesa's cabs are great ...period. They really are built like the proverbial tanks, and are worth the dear price, IMO ...which is why I always look used. There is no shortage of cheaper cabs out there, but I would wager none would not be as solid as the Mesa, especially after the years click by. I cannot tell you how rock-solid my oldies are, as are the others I have seen with decades behind them.

BTW, once you play with 2 12s, you'll immediately feel the love! It's not the volume but the girth and spaciousness you get ...simply addictive. Going to a 412 cab from two 112s is not as big a difference as a single combo amp and adding a good 112, IMHO. And the Widebody cabs are stellar, especially a 3/4 cab. Or try Mesa's new ported cab which is purportedly like their old Thiele cabs, but in a matching wide-body size. I have never tried this new one, but have an old 80s EVM-Thiele that I will never part with, they are that good! Whichever you get, I think you'll be very pleased once you plug her in.

Edward

Back