Installing EVM12L in Vertical 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey Blue

Reaction score
I have a 2x12 vert recto that originally had V30s in it. I decided to put an EVM-12L in the bottom and a C90 on top (sounds great with the MKIII).

At first I added T-nuts and front loaded the EV, but while it didn't quite fit in the hole, I was able to make it work. The problem is the cloth grill cover wouldn't fit without some modification such as routing out some of the wooden braces.

I decided to rear mount the EV with 8 screws, and it seems fine, but a friend said that it might be putting too much stress on the baffle board since it's such a heavy speaker.

Have any of you done this?
Should I just route out the grill cover braces and front load it again, or is it ok to leave it as it is?

Thanks!

Maybe I'm not visualizing this right, but couldn't you just flip the t-nuts around and use them to rear-mount the speaker?

That said, I wouldn't think you'd have trouble just using 8 wood screws, either.

So I actually left the t nuts and rear mounted it right away, using regular nuts on the front side.

To clarify though, my question is: is it ok to leave it rear mounted? The concern stems from having the weight distribution being further back putting more stress on the baffle board than if it were front loaded.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will be alright in the long run, or if I would be wiser to front load it and modify the grill to accomodate that.

Thanks!

My oversized 4x12 is rear-mounted, I haven't had any trouble with the two EVMs in it and a 2x12 will have a smaller/sturdier baffle anyway. As heavy as they are, I doubt those speakers are so close to tearing up the baffle that the tiny difference between front- and rear- mounting would matter.

Latest posts

Back