Which Graphic EQ is close to the the built in one on IIC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halebox

Reaction score
Ive read somewhere the a BEHRINGER model was close not sure which one.

I would seek out a 5 knob parametric EQ, that will let you dial in the frequencies you want. This will allow you to pick the same frequencies Mesa uses on their Graphic EQ (80, 240, 750, etc.) and then boost or cut as you like.

Honestly, I would steer clear of Behringer guitar pedals. They are shoddy low-end budget pedals. The EQ-700 pedal is essentially a budget version of Boss GE-7 (which is definitely anything but a 'neutral' EQ pedal - I have recently thrown away a 1980s GE-7 pedal because it colored my tone too much and got an MXR EQ instead).

If you have a quality amp, why ruin your tone with a cheap pedal?
Instead, try a good parametric EQ, as suggested above. Or a good graphic EQ that has enough bands or bands that are close enough. The key word here, try a good EQ pedal.
(I don't know if Behringer's rack/studio units are any better than their stompboxes.)

Then of course there is the age-old question, why doesn't Mesa package their coveted 5-band EQ in a pedal format? I believe it could easily sell much more than any pedal they are currently producing. And it would be a godsend to people who own vintage Marks without one.
The only answer I can think of is that Mesa want to keep their famous EQ circuit 'special' - something that you can't have unless you invest in a Mesa amp that has one built in.

Behringer rack stuff is also really noisy, stay away form that.
Get a good EQ , no Mather how many bands it has. You will work your sound out of it and remember, you will always sound like you, no matter what amp or gear you have.

MXR 10-band. And in the event you ever have the interest to drive 2 amps at once, the KFK version has two outputs.

MXR made a blue 10 band EQ that is 24 volt with a dedicated ac cord. They're a good EQ but you'd have to buy used, some nice ones on eBay. Rumored Randy Rhoades used one. The closest to Mk.IIC+ would be what Hetfield has - the EQ out of a studio pre-amp.

Isn't the built in EQ a coil based thing that's between the preamp and the power amp? I'd think that'd be pretty hard to emulate with any commercially available EQ pedal. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most eq stomp boxes are meant to be placed before the preamp, and aren't really designed for the kind of signals they'd be getting from the preamp out.

I like my EQ, if I use one, and my MXR micro amp boost in the loop if the amp has one. The boost actually boosts and the EQ seems to sound thicker in the loop verses before the pre-amp. I put a phaser, wah, whammy pedal, delay, and reverb before the pre-amp in that order, but that's just me. If anything "colors" my tone by doing this, I must love it because I love my tone.

I have a boss GE-7 in the loop of my coliseum and it sounds good. I didnt think I would be a fan of eq in the IIC+ but it really becomes a different amp. I think Im going to get a MXR 10 band or the early Boss GE-10
EDIT: I just ordered this
http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-Perfect-Ten-10-Band/dp/B004YDHZ3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387918590&sr=8-1&keywords=Whirlwind+Perfect+Te
Edit:
Also won a vintage Boss GE-10

I guess Ill have to do a youtube shootout!

halebox said:
I have a boss GE-7 in the loop of my coliseum and it sounds good. I didnt think I would be a fan of eq in the IIC+ but it really becomes a different amp. I think Im going to get a MXR 10 band or the early Boss GE-10
EDIT: I just ordered this
http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-Perfect-Ten-10-Band/dp/B004YDHZ3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387918590&sr=8-1&keywords=Whirlwind+Perfect+Te
Edit:
Also won a vintage Boss GE-10

I guess Ill have to do a youtube shootout!

My GE-7 is really noisy.

sduck said:
Isn't the built in EQ a coil based thing that's between the preamp and the power amp? I'd think that'd be pretty hard to emulate with any commercially available EQ pedal. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most eq stomp boxes are meant to be placed before the preamp, and aren't really designed for the kind of signals they'd be getting from the preamp out.
I think so. I destroyed my Daphon 7 band EQ by running it in the loop of my Rocket 44. Dead!

sduck said:
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most eq stomp boxes are meant to be placed before the preamp, and aren't really designed for the kind of signals they'd be getting from the preamp out.

Most can be used in an fx loop. I'd suggest checking the instruction manual first, though. My cheap MXR 6 band EQ works great in the loop of my Studio .22+. I use it to knock a bit of the mids off.

The large Boss GE-10 sounds good as well still waiting on the whirlwind

Latest posts

Back