Oh Grandor, how's the Boogie market "down under"?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzRules

Reaction score
Expensive? Cheap? Plenty to be found? Ebay a better way?

I have no idea how Australian currency fairs against the dollar at this point. That factors into the price of course.

Europeans tend to get screwed buying American, like almost double after currency is "normalized".

Any Boogie-esque Australian boutique makers? I'm sure there must be some!

It is cheaper to buy a new boogie in the USA and have it shipped express to Australia and buy a step-down transformer, than to buy new here.
It is even cheaper to get a new USA boogie and BUY a mesa/boogie tranny from mesa, for some-600 dollars.

I bought a 2001 mark IV shorthead for 1100us (about 1500AUD) and imported it myself.
All up it ends up costing me about 1800 AUD.
A new mark IV head is 4699 AUD.

No joke buddy.

As for Australian booteek amp builders, not really around.
Theres about 2 or 3 I think do that sort of thing, I've only ever seen one however. But they aren't necesarily better than the usual boutique gear in the states.

Grandor said:
It is cheaper to buy a new boogie in the USA and have it shipped express to Australia and buy a step-down transformer, than to buy new here.
It is even cheaper to get a new USA boogie and BUY a mesa/boogie tranny from mesa, for some-600 dollars.

I bought a 2001 mark IV shorthead for 1100us (about 1500AUD) and imported it myself.
All up it ends up costing me about 1800 AUD.
A new mark IV head is 4699 AUD.

No joke buddy.

As for Australian booteek amp builders, not really around.
Theres about 2 or 3 I think do that sort of thing, I've only ever seen one however. But they aren't necesarily better than the usual boutique gear in the states.

Wow, Boogie charges $600 for a transformer? I bought a Mark IIC+ head for $725, 4 years ago.

I have a '91 Mark IV shorthead, I found on eBay, but didn't go thru eBay. I met the guy at lunch in a parking lot and bought it for $800.

A new Mark IV head goes for $4700 of your dollars. Who's making all the money in between?

I know there's boutique hi-fi builders in Australia and New Zealand. Perigee and Perreaux come to mind. THought some might have gotten into the guitar amp business.

Boogie should open up a small plant in Australia and maybe another in the UK so as to make amps at competitive prices.

You should try it in the U.K. - prices here are outrageous and a new transformer is £400 + V.A>T. plus fitting!!!! - that would be more than $1000 U.S.D. for a transformer.

A Standard Mark IV here costs £2399, which is about $4500 U.S.D. - crazy money.

Brian :(

holy crap we've got it made over here in the US it seems. what about other makes. i heard that VHTs and Deizels are alot cheaper over in europe

VERY hard to find - virtually no distributors here in the UK - like Matchless and Bad Cat is impossible.

Mesa is well avauilable in quality music shops BUT is expensive. A used Mark IV is at cheapest £1200 (beyond $2000 U.S.D.) and hard to find.

Brian ;)

dylan7620 said:
holy crap we've got it made over here in the US it seems. what about other makes. i heard that VHTs and Deizels are alot cheaper over in europe

You mean Diezels , Marshalls and ENGLs, I think..... VHT Equip makes Mesas look like you bought them in a dimestore, pricewise ;)

Who makes the money in between?
I have no idea.
But everything is high priced over here, gear-wise.

A USA Fender Strat Std is about $2100 sticker price here.
I've seen Vetta II HD heads for $4500 at the store.
A Boss tu-2 will run you about $250 here.

It sucks...

Zerberus said:
dylan7620 said:

You mean Diezels , Marshalls and ENGLs, I think..... VHT Equip makes Mesas look like you bought them in a dimestore, pricewise ;)
bah... i always get VHTs and ENGLs mixed up. so how much is a VH4 over in the uk?

Latest posts

Back